1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why do game rivals never get any love?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Sham, Jul 3, 2019.

1. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

If we're talking about player characters as rivals, it's almost certainly because while starting as a Red parallel Ash is the player character role as a whole

Redstar45 and MockingJ like this.
  2. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I'd want Hop to be a better battler than Satoshi when they eventually meet since I prefer it when Satoshi's rivals are significantly stronger than him so that they make him seem like the underdog, that way it gives Satoshi a better reason to want to defeat them by the end of the saga. That worked well when the writers did it with Shinji's character in DP.

3. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

Because losing and being weak is a hateful idea for Americans, who are overwhelmingly the English speaking fans I see vilify Wally.
    It's a cultural philosophy that bleeds into sports too. Trying and failing is the worst possible outcome; you either succeed, or you shouldn't try at all.

wolf jani and MockingJ like this.
  4. Redstar45

Redstar45 The anime canon cop !

Why use such abusive statement about mitsuru ?

Majespectre and MockingJ like this.
  5. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

In the case of Mitsuru, I feel like he became much more popular after OR/AS since he was no longer just some sick kid with a mediocre storyline. OR/AS made him more competent, so I think he could've easily shown up during the XY&Z arc and been put to good use.

6. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Where's the KISS concert at?"

Because they're basically walking ads for the games, so Ash must need an OC rival to promote his universe, not theirs.

I have mixed feelings about how Alola is going about it, and they're mostly negative opinions.

Redstar45 likes this.
  7. Blaziryu

Blaziryu Well-Known Member

I agree. I think the best rivalry we seen in the anime is the one between Ash and Paul.

8. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

Kinda remind me of the Resident Evil franchise as well. The Hollywood movies of this were making a joke to the game characters like Chris, Jill & Nemesis who the fans cared greatly compared to the movie exclusive main character Alice, the "Ash" of those films.

9. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

While I agree that Shinji was a good rival, I feel like the writers should've also paid more attention to Jun during DP since he was an actual game rival, yet the writers focused more on Shinji despite Jun being more useful in terms of game promotion.

Sham and wolf jani like this.