1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why do I feel so much hate towards the animé?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by KenzeyEevee, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:43 PM.

1. I really feel like the fans of the animé have become sceptical or do not agree with the way it goes.

In the earlier days, this was not the case. Everybody was more cheerful and positive about the animé.

What has changed and are we to blame?

2. blizzardblaze

blizzardblaze Comp. Battler Who loves The Anime

I think it's because well...people are just not really happy with what SM has pulled over the course of it's anime, and how things have changed. Or rather, what hasn't changed. We're still getting some stale episodes that are really similar to what we got a couple years back, and even though they can be enjoyable, it feels repetitive at times. Ash is part of this. Every time he goes on a journey, he always seems to be really inconsistent when it comes to his character progression. One anime, he might actually feel like he's maturing in one aspect, the next, all of that is just thrown out the window because the writers want to for no apparent reason. I mean, I get so frustrated when he asks,"Who's that Pokemon?" when he has seen this Pokemon before in his journey...shouldn't he at least remember it? Plus, it seems to be an eternal cycle with how they never let him win a League at all and stuff like that.
    SM I guess might be a big factor in this. Ash doesn't feel like he has matured at all - in fact, it feels like he's regressed, especially at the beginning. He was like a kid again, not a guy who knew things about the world and could handle situations in a good way instead of being selfish. There have been some good interactions between him and the characters, like how he's like a sibling to some characters such as Lillie, May, and Dawn with how supportive he is for them. With the big cast, it took a long time for some of us to see any shift in quality since they were still figuring things out. But them spending time on some really bad filler episodes like how VRAINS in it's early days did recap episodes often might have blown it, at least from my perspective. They wasted a lot of time with these episodes, even though it built a world around them, it took away time from introducing characters like Hau sooner rather than really really late that there was barely any time to develop his rivalry with Ash. Plus it doesn't help that well...there have been some DEM moments.
    But basically, I'd have to guess...it's just that things are generally pretty inconsistent and repetitive now and people have gotten sick about it, and things that have happened lately like a salty ending for a battle just really didn't help the anime's case.

3. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Because it's pretty much still the same thing. Ash has been through six regions now but has never reached the Elite Four nor battled a champion in an official match. He participates in a League and then just goes on to the next region where the cycle repeats!
    Not to mention the lack of continuity these days, you hardly ever see his old Pokemon or even old characters that don't exist outside of the extremely overrated region known as Kanto. No May, Max, Dawn, Tracey, Oak's Rotom.... nobody from Kalos even appeared at all during Alola! And you'll probably not see anyone from Alola in Galar either

I think the major problem is that it's been so damn long since the last saga we actually got to see Ash succeed and prove himself a powerful trainer, the Battle Frontier! We really need another saga like that, like... the Sinnoh BF?

4. Bladewinger

Bladewinger Member

Maybe it is just me, but XY/Mega Evolution specials and now Sun and Moon are my number one and two favorite series, respectively. I thought the last six years of the anime were great. Ash hasn't gone backwards unlike in Best Wishes, since he reached the finals in Kalos and will probably win the Alola League. The side characters are a lot better nowadays than when Brock third wheeled all of Sinnoh. XY had some of the coolest looking battles, and then Sun and Moon changed it up to an entertaining slice of life show, so nothing has gotten stale. I like where the show is going now. I hope Sword and Shield can take the battles and animation from XY and the comedy, fillers, character development from SM to deliver a conclusive series.

5. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie "It is my destiny."

This is the pitfall of long-running series spanning an entire generation, and a show that heavily relies on the main games being, well, an advertisement for said-games, as well as one that runs on cartoon time (you get the same complaints about The Simpsons, but not to the same extent as with Pokemon). Each new season feels like a "reboot" because, in all honesty, the show expects newcomers to come in every season, but then for previous (usually older) viewers to start phasing out. I honestly don't know the reason behind Best Wishes causing this snarl in which Ash's character ended up regressing and messing with an established continuity, but despite it being almost ten years now, it still feels like it wasn't that long ago that happened since it's still talked about. Everyone's still pissy about it, whether it's justified or not, and that is what may have been staining fans' opinions all this time.

If you're getting mad over the anime, it's time to take a break. Come back to it later on and see if your thoughts on it change or remain the same. Otherwise, you need to make the decision to cap it someplace and walk away with the positive attitude you have toward it up to that point. Most Pokemon fans have stopped watching the anime at a certain point and never returned to it, and that's fine. If you still wish to continue watching the anime, try to look at it as its own standalone season (even if you're feeling like you're missing out on details, unfortunately inevitable with the recurring characters), see how that goes for you.

6. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

I just assume that everyone who doesn't like the SM anime is a child, because from my perspective no adult should still be watching this show if they don't like what they see.

7. Kuzehiko

Kuzehiko Well-Known Member

A true Pokemon fan who has watched the show from the beginning might still watch and dislike it. Most fans hated BW back then and they still kept watching it. Just because you dislike one specific saga does not mean you'll stop watching the anime since that saga won't last forever. You'll drop the show when you don't like any of the next upcoming series and truly get bored of it. The Pokemon anime is more than one unique saga that you may dislike, there is more to it and that's why us the fans still watch the show. That's how I personally see it.

Emelie, Lunanight, Redstar45 and 4 others like this.
  8. Ignition

Ignition Buttwitch needs more appreciation

I think a lot of you put too much thought into other people having problems with the anime. Half of the time it’s just not liking a specific aspect of the show not someone being mad. The “if you don’t like it, don’t watch it” is such a useless response since people wouldn’t keep up with the anime if there wasn’t something they didn’t like about it. I’m sure everyone on this site has the ability to decide if something is worth their time on their own judgement regardless of how they feel.

DuquÊ?, SH65 and Red and Blue like this.
  9. Doppelgänger

Doppelgänger Superancient Member

BW was very much a kids/adults split. XY was when people started to bash OS and DP. I don't find that a coicindence. Both attitudes reflect people with no memory of those older seasons, but are told by older fans they're wrong, tasteless, idiots, etc.

Pokemon has always had the problem of most fans outgrowing it after 2-3 years. So if SM is getting a lot of complaints, it's fair to assume it's most likely children complaining.

10. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

Let's suppose you start watching a tv show and it's really good, but then out of nowhere comes a episode that you don't like all that much. You might stop watching the show entirely or you might give it another chance to entertain you, since you liked the universe, the characters or maybe something else. Either way you chose, there really isn't a wrong option.

Now back in the old days, i don't think there were that many places to express your opinion on animes and the ones that did exist not everyone knew about it. The overall improvement of tv shows and animations due to new technologies might also help to explain why we see criticism more often, since i guess some people are now expecting more of these high budget shows, but it's not one thing i can say for certain.

That is a bit of a gross generalization. There are plenty of adults fans out there who are not that fond of that series.

This ^

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 7:38 AM
    Kuzehiko, Redstar45 and janejane6178 like this.
  11. U.N. Owen

U.N. Owen In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...

Storyline burnout.

When you have a long running anime, manga, or comic series, you have many story arcs, different structures of storylines. You can have arcs where your protagonist deals with abominations older than time or a couple of thugs with high tech weapons. Each arc feels unique even though it has the same objective to save the day at the end. With this anime, you don't get that. Instead, you got six storylines which follow the same plot beats as the one that came before it and one exception. It's homogenous and boring. The burnout part is that Ash is doing the same plot beats over and over again in an attempt to claim the same title for 20+ years. We don't even know what is goal is. We just know the title exists.

12. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Daikuro, Keeper Of The Gates Ambitious

Most of us aren't kids anymore, and there's always going to be the edgy teenagers who think that "dark" and "good" are synonymous, and will attack anyone for enjoying lighthearted series. The difference between now and then is that those opinions get reinforced over and over again on message boards like this one, which didn't really exist when the anime first started.

satopi, KenzeyEevee and Pokegirl Fan~ like this.
  13. Xuxuba

Xuxuba Well-Known Member

By the way, is this thread referring to newer seasons in general or just SM?

KenzeyEevee likes this.
  14. In general. I don't hate SM, but I feel like there is much hate against it.

To clarify: I do not hate the animé. I just sense a lot of unsatisfaction in these forums. I was wondering if there was any reason.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 3:27 PM
    Redstar45 likes this.
  15. AznKei

AznKei Rabi-Ribi's Cocoa is cute! ^_^

I just dislike how toned down most of the companions are. Sure, they started fresh from the series and would progress over time, but their potentials were held back by the large gap of spotlights from Ash. Don't get me wrong, Ash's the main character, but after 7 regions we already knew what he's capable of so he should take the backseat outside of gyms and his Pokemon developments episodes, and have the companions doing more stuffs on their own, capture more Pokemons so they can develop with each of them, especially that they only had one full series to shine.

maartjeverhoef likes this.
  16. Leonhart

Leonhart The Lying King

I remember fans being somewhat more positive about things during the DP saga, but that was because DP was unanimously seen as a good saga with good character development, great battles, and excellent animation for that time. Not that some people didn't criticize how certain things in DP were handled, but it was less common because the quality of the anime was at its peak from my perspective. So I think the cynical feeling that many fans have now is based on the quality of recent sagas, particularly SM.

Emelie and MockingJ like this.
  17. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Where's the KISS concert at?"

I'm confused. Is the topic talking about the topic creator's feelings or everyone else's?

18. In the early days, people here still argued and complained about the direction of the show. It's not a new trend at all.

Ultimately, the unhappiness comes from boredom. Pokemon doesn't excite anyone with its ideas or execution anymore, and as fans, we've been conditioned by the show into never getting our hopes up about anything. Watching the show is like having a job. Every episode is the same, and every now and then something different happens, but inevitably it returns to the same old-same old.

Doesn't matter how much love someone might have for the show. Eventually, that crap wears thin. You then see people wish for something new or pine for the days where they had the most fun because they're bored and want something different.

The easy solution is stop and do something else, but it's actually hard to turn away from something that's been a part of the routine for such a long time, and there's always that hope, buried deep inside...

MockingJ likes this.
  19. J.Agera

J.Agera Don't push your luck.

Because they need to give Ash Ketchum proper and fleshed out conclusion already.
    Fans are craving for it.
    Also, the writers don't seem to listen to the fans at all. That maybe one main reason.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 6:23 PM
    maartjeverhoef likes this.
  20. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko Ayla going to the Kingdom! :D

We continue to be full-on invested in Ash/the anime, despite it being so plain that it will never do what those whom are invested in the anime expect it to do. Kutie Pie put it best imo; let's just either try to enjoy each season of the anime in it's own merit, or find other things to do with our time.

MockingJ likes this.