• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do I feel so much hate towards the animé?

• Thread starter Deleted member 384931
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cradily17

I wish the writers would just cut Ash a break already and let him win an official league. He could very well win the Alola League, but I feel like no matter what happens people will hate on him.
If Ash loses: "Wow! Ash couldn't even win in a meme league full of 1 vs 1 battles?! What a pathetic excuse for a trainer!"
If Ash wins: "Wow! Ash could only win in a meme league full of 1 vs 1 battles as opposed to a real one?! What a pathetic excuse for a trainer!"

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I wish the writers would just cut Ash a break already and let him win an official league. He could very well win the Alola League, but I feel like no matter what happens people will hate on him.
If Ash loses: "Wow! Ash couldn't even win in a meme league full of 1 vs 1 battles?! What a pathetic excuse for a trainer!"
If Ash wins: "Wow! Ash could only win in a meme league full of 1 vs 1 battles as opposed to a real one?! What a pathetic excuse for a trainer!"
I didn't really complain about the contents of the league. I just want to see someone else more than Ash and I found it's a good thing that his classmates participate at the League, for them who didn't do much throughout the series.

Leonhart

Imagineer
J.Agera said:
Also, the writers don't seem to listen to the fans at all. That maybe one main reason.

I think it's more like they don't listen to what older fans want, but I'm sure that they do some kind of research on what the younger demographic is interested in, which might explain why SM ended up being more comedy driven and slice-of-life based.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
BW was very much a kids/adults split. XY was when people started to bash OS and DP.
How do you even know kids only watched XY? Do you have proof of any kind?

Never saw myself a XY fan bash DP. Most XY fans either don't mind DP or they like it so much due to its plot, character development and the good battles. Not sure about OS though.

I don't find that a coicindence. Both attitudes reflect people with no memory of those older seasons, but are told by older fans they're wrong, tasteless, idiots, etc.
So you're basically saying older fans dislike the new Pokemon seasons and bash them? Nah. Whether the new seasons are bad or not is competely subjetive and up to one's opinion. Everyone has an opinion of their own and that's alright.

Pokemon has always had the problem of most fans outgrowing it after 2-3 years. So if SM is getting a lot of complaints, it's fair to assume it's most likely children complaining.
It's not children.
It's just fans disliking the product. They have their own reasons to complain about it. You simply can not tolerate SM is disliked and get lots of complaints. Same has gone for every series in the anime.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
How do you even know kids only watched XY? Do you have proof of any kind?

Yes. The sign up date of posters is an easy way to tell who has been watching Pokemon since the early days. During BW, the overwhelming number of complaints were from new sign up dates.

It's very unlikely a real genwunner would sign up on UPN, BMG or SPP to complain about BW in 2010 unless they were banned during the glory days of Pokemon. Especially after the rise of super communities like /r/pokemon to draw away fans.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Yes. The sign up date of posters is an easy way to tell who has been watching Pokemon since the early days. During BW, the overwhelming number of complaints were from new sign up dates.

It's very unlikely a real genwunner would sign up on UPN, BMG or SPP to complain about BW in 2010 unless they were banned during the glory days of Pokemon. Especially after the rise of super communities like /r/pokemon to draw away fans.
Uh, I only signed up here on 2017 but I've been watching Pokemon since 1999. I mean, the reason I signed up here originally was to compliment SM012.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi

Lol, I signed up in the middle of the SM run, yet I started to watch the anime full time since XY, and I used to discuss more on YouTube, either from the user that uploaded the recent episodes or by some Poketubers like KGPrestige.

Anyways, I mainly criticize the show's status quo and Ash hogging the spotlights, but I initially signed because I was looking for feedbacks about one of my fan projects

Kuzehiko

How does sign up date either relate to users' age or how long have they been watching the show? I registered in 2017 and I've been watching the show since for ever. Same goes for a lot of new users here. Don't think that's the case tbf. Also, everyone on the fandom pretty much universally agrees BW is not good.

Sham

The Guardian of War
How does sign up date either relate to users' age or how long have they been watching the show? I registered in 2017 and I've been watching the show since for ever. Same goes for a lot of new users here. Don't think that's the case tbf. Also, everyone on the fandom pretty much universally agrees BW is not good.
Not universally. I don’t think Best Wishes is good but I don’t think it’s bad either. Be careful to use the word “universal” loosely. I and plenty of other people grew up on that series and therefore have an indifference/enjoyment on it.

Kuzehiko

Not universally. I don’t think Best Wishes is good but I don’t think it’s bad either. Be careful to use the word “universal” loosely. I and plenty of other people grew up on that series and therefore have an indifference/enjoyment on it.
I know. Shouldn't have used universally but it was the first word that came to my mind. By that I meant a great fraction of the fandom strongly agrees BW is not good hence why I said "pretty much". Never said it's bad, it just isn't good.

I also enjoyed BW. There were quite good episodes that I liked a lot like Dawn's return arc or the Decolora Islands arc as well. It just isn't overall good as a whole.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I see it as no different from any other long running beloved franchise...

The only one I see defying the odds is One Piece but I’m not apart of the fandom.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I know. Shouldn't have used universally but it was the first word that came to my mind. By that I meant a great fraction of the fandom strongly agrees BW is not good hence why I said "pretty much". Never said it's bad, it just isn't good.

I also enjoyed BW. There were quite good episodes that I liked a lot like Dawn's return arc or the Decolora Islands arc as well. It just isn't overall good as a whole.
No problem, I didn't mean to sound like I was being preachy. I do agree a good portion of fandom dislike BW (although I do see people slowly becoming less hateful towards it).

J.Agera

[Top-notch Сasual Dating Authentic Ladies]
I think it's more like they don't listen to what older fans want, but I'm sure that they do some kind of research on what the younger demographic is interested in, which might explain why SM ended up being more comedy driven and slice-of-life based.
I mean, it didn't work that much actually.
Pokémon can't seem to beat the more popular kid shows like Doraemon or some other shows I can't remember.
They might as well listen to the fans, because either way they get a boost in merchandise sales.
And I haven't met a kid who likes it when Ash's Pokémon are unevolved in the show lol.

Last edited:

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member

Posters who have been here since the mid 2000's must be at least as old as their account + 13 years, the minimum age to sign up on this forum. You can believe them if they say they saw OS, AG, DP etc. when their aired because their registration date and post history is proof.

If you've only been here a few years, there's no way to know if you're being honest about "watching the show since for ever", or if you're new to Pokemon and just read Bulbapedia to pretend like you were here for the dark times.

The only one I see defying the odds is One Piece but I’m not apart of the fandom.

One Piece went into decline about 5 years ago. It's coasting on the brand name and media/marketing presence.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Posters who have been here since the mid 2000's must be at least as old as their account + 13 years, the minimum age to sign up on this forum. You can believe them if they say they saw OS, AG, DP etc. when their aired because their registration date and post history is proof.

If you've only been here a few years, there's no way to know if you're being honest about "watching the show since for ever", or if you're new to Pokemon and just read Bulbapedia to pretend like you were here for the dark times.

One Piece went into decline about 5 years ago. It's coasting on the brand name and media/marketing presence.
I wouldn't care whether you believe I'm young or not. I signed here because I wanted to discuss about the show regardless which series I started watching, and it's better here than on YouTube. You make it sound that the users had to be hardcore of the franchise, in which I don't consider being one, to become a legit fan of the show and in this forum.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
I wouldn't care whether you believe I'm young or not. I signed here because I wanted to discuss about the show regardless which series I started watching, and it's better here than on YouTube. You make it sound that the users had to be hardcore of the franchise, in which I don't consider being one, to become a legit fan of the show and in this forum.

Forums tend to skew toward older posters. When I was talking about assuming the criticism comes from children, I'm talking about those pseudoanonymous posts that you see on YouTube, Reddit, and Amino.

When you look at the dub clips of SM on YouTube, they have 500K views...who is watching that? Certainly not adults.

As an aside, one of the reasons I'm active on this forum is because it has a measured, thoughtful criticism of SM. Most of the complaints here are good and justified.

One of my friends who skipped out on SM did so because he's a hardcore, bitter Amourshipper and is jealous of the new girls. That's a fantastic reason to hate the anime, wouldn't you think?

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y

I do have a gut feeling SM's change in format may be due to the fact kids only prefer more lighthearted material, and because Yo-Kai Watch often destroyed XY in the ratings. Yo-Kai follows a more comedic tone, and kids preferred that, so Pokemon felt like it had to copy the format in order to compete to hopefully win over the Yo-Kai fans. Sadly, the new Sunday timeslot change has only made the ratings worse in Japan, as Pokemon has now found itself overshadowed by both Sazae-san and Chibi Maruko-chan.

Leonhart

Imagineer
satopi said:
I see it as no different from any other long running beloved franchise...

There's been a lot of division lately among that fandom as well. I think it's a natural part of any series that's been around for a long time and has passed its prime, but one difference is that I can easily understand the complaints that One Piece fans have about that series more than I can understand some of the criticisms that Pokemon fans have about the Pokemon anime, because Pokemon has always been one of the more inconsistent anime and I figure that by now most Pokemon fans should be used to things not going their way.

Kuzehiko

Don't care at all if you think I am not being honest or not. I can use same logic with you. You consider yourself an active senior member since you've been here for 13 years but you've got a post count with less than 1000 posts despite being here for 13 years. That tells me you are not an active member and who knows if you've seen all seasons as well.

Also, friendly reminder that most of regulars curently posting in the Pokemon anime section have registered after 2010 and even lots of new users even like SM.
While join date might be a bit of proof some members have seen the show all along (as long as they are still active)
It's not the case here.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
There's been a lot of division lately among that fandom as well. I think it's a natural part of any series that's been around for a long time and has passed its prime, but one difference is that I can easily understand the complaints that One Piece fans have about that series more than I can understand some of the criticisms that Pokemon fans have about the Pokemon anime, because Pokemon has always been one of the more inconsistent anime and I figure that by now most Pokemon fans should be used to things not going their way.

One Piece and Pokemon have similar problems. There's a group of fans who like what it is, and another group who watch but like what they hope it could be.

With OP, that subset of fans wanted it to be Dragon Ball Z 2.0, with an emphasis on martial arts and power levels and less silly adventure and comedy. The arc that first began the schism between the two groups I outlined was Skypia, but the big one was Enies Lobby which signified One Piece transitioning into a DBZ-clone.

In Arlong Park's private veteran forum, many of the long-time fans who liked OP since 2001 found that arc distasteful and left. But OP brought in all the deprived DBZ fans because it started copying what was more popular with them.

It's very telling that one of the loudest complaints against OP is Luffy's Devil Fruit. That's like complaining Goku is a Saiyan. The fans have become stupid beyond salvation. But it also highlights just how far OP's fanbase has mutated and responded to the direction the story went.

On the Pokemon side, there is a substantial number of fans, possibly the majority, who want the series continuity to mature instead of Ash doing the same thing every new region. Since Pokemon has not, that voice hasn't changed quite as dramatically in 20 years. But there's also high turnover where most fans grow out of it quickly and the ones who stay do so because they want a satisfying resolution to the journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.