• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do I feel so much hate towards the animé?

• Thread starter Deleted member 384931
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

MockingJ

Banned
Meh, I don't mind if people voice their negative opinions about the show. I think it has its ups and downs just like every other series but I try not to let the opinions of the fanbase dictate my enjoyment of the show. If you like the anime, then don't worry about what other people have to say about it.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
I really feel like the fans of the animé have become sceptical or do not agree with the way it goes.

In the earlier days, this was not the case. Everybody was more cheerful and positive about the animé.

What has changed and are we to blame?
The JP version became known to the world. That ruined everything.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Ryu Taylor said:

I'm not sure what it is that you're trying to imply, because I don't quite see the correlation between the fandom being critical of the anime and the Japanese version becoming more popular in recent years. I've seen just as many dub fans critique the anime as I've seen sub viewers do the same, because realistically there's little difference between the two versions of the anime other than the voice acting and music, neither of which majorly affect one's viewing experience in a perceivable way.

Emelie

Bookworm
Each season focus on different aspects. AG, DP and XY are more focused on battles while OS and SM focus on slice-of-life and comedy. If you love battles SM might disappoint you since there are fewer battles. It is also the sequel of XY so comparisons are inevitable.

The comedy in OS was very different from the comedy in SM. OS has a lot of snarky humor which requires that the viewer is old enough to understand sarcasm. SM is mabye more kid friendly since the humor is never "mean-spirited" but the funny exaggerated facial expressions happen very often which adds to the already repetitive nature of the show. Good humor needs good timing which is what OS excels at (in my opinion).

BW and SM also have their game counterparts which are very popular and deemed by most fans to have the best storylines. In the anime BW and SM both made huge changes to these plot elements which might not appeal to some fans who liked the games. Compare to XY that tried to improve the Team Flare plot and the rivals.

XY and OS also had romantic subplots which doesn't appeal to everybody. On the flip side some fans were disappointed by the lack of romance in SM and how Serena never returned. Then there are fans who like the idea of a romance subplot but think Serena is too girly for their personal taste or simply want to see Ash with a different girl.

Then there is also Team Rocket who has undergone some huge changes since BW. They used to show up in every episode and never be competent. Some die-hard TR fans are disappointed while other fans are tired of them and think they should be written out of the show.

There are no correct opinions but the anime has changed different aspects of the show over time which sometimes leads to controversy in the fandom.

Ryu Taylor

How is that a bad thing? If it hadn't then the dub wouldn't have existed either so it's kind of a strange complaint to have.
The JP version's one and only significant contribution to the world is the fact that its existence causes all other (and better) versions to be possible. That's not what I was saying was a bad thing. What I am saying is a bad thing is the fact that some overzealous fan brought the JP version to the attention of the rest of the world, and that caused the sub/dub fandom division and every terrible thing that happened in the sub's name.

there's little difference between the two versions of the anime other than the voice acting and music, neither of which majorly affect one's viewing experience in a perceivable way.
"neither of which majorly affect one's viewing experience in a perceivable way."

Have you never been to the fandom??? It's a miracle even a moment can pass without some S. Miyazaki stan making some sort of "ED GOLDFARB IS [insert name of evil figure here]"-kind of comment about the soundtracks, or someone making that tired claim about Lillie sounding too old, etc etc.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Emelie said:
It is also the sequel of XY so comparisons are inevitable.

I do think that if SM had premiered directly after BW as opposed to after XY, people wouldn't have been as critical of the SM saga since it has more in common with BW than it does with XY. I've even seen some people suggest that SM literally takes place after the Isshu saga, but that's just them changing the timeline of the anime for their own needs as a coping mechanism.

Emelie

Bookworm
I do think that if SM had premiered directly after BW as opposed to after XY, people wouldn't have been as critical of the SM saga since it has more in common with BW than it does with XY. I've even seen some people suggest that SM literally takes place after the Isshu saga, but that's just them changing the timeline of the anime for their own needs as a coping mechanism.

I think BW and SM are very different. BW still has only three characters, badges, tournaments and the traveling aspect. BW is often compared to DP and XY which makes sense since it's the prequel/sequel.

I don't think Ash is necessarily a worse trainer in SM than in XY. I think the criticism stems from the large cast, lack of battles, Ash's personality, the humor and the league.

BW also has different humor. It is more "mean-spirited" but lacks the sarcasm from OS which is probably why it is unpopular with a lot of fans.

The only thing BW and SM have in common is the lack of countinuity to the series that came before it.

Whitelily

The JP version's one and only significant contribution to the world is the fact that its existence causes all other (and better) versions to be possible. That's not what I was saying was a bad thing. What I am saying is a bad thing is the fact that some overzealous fan brought the JP version to the attention of the rest of the world, and that caused the sub/dub fandom division and every terrible thing that happened in the sub's name.

People becoming more aware of the Japanese version just means that they realized that there was an alternative to watching the english dubbed version & I'm sorry but I don't see that as a negative point. It seems like you're just upset that there are more people online who prefer watching the Japanese version than there are people who prefer the dub.

But that's a whole other subject that doesn't actually explain why fans are becoming more whiny unless you believe that watching the Japanese version turns people into mindless zombies who only like to complain about the state of the show, but nothing that you think would surprise me at this point since I'm guessing that you're the resident contrarian.

Ryu Taylor

But that's a whole other subject that doesn't actually explain why fans are becoming more whiny
It does at the very least explain why people get on TPCi's case for every little iota that's different from the JP version. Hell, dub Kukui and Burnet can't even hold regular drink glasses without the stans throwing a big "OMG CENSORSHIP!!!!!" tantrum.

I'm guessing that you're the resident contrarian.
That's what the sub stans like to brand me as since they aren't capable of accepting the fact that no one is obligated to watch or like the JP version. It earned my disrespect and so have the most toxic of its fans (oh, and to get you caught up on Internet lingo, "stan" is the word for "toxic fan").

All in all, I don't hate the show outside of maybe about three episodes and one movie and one language version of it (it knows why). I hate the people who have tried to force me to join them in liking said version I've made no secret of my disdain of, and I should not be held responsible for resisting their advances.

Last edited:

Ryu Taylor

Umm, you do know that [without] the Japanese version, the Pokemon anime would not even exist, right?
From my first response to Whitelily a few posts up:

"The JP version's one and only significant contribution to the world is the fact that its existence causes all other (and better) versions to be possible. That's not what I was saying was a bad thing. What I am saying is a bad thing is the fact that some overzealous fan brought the JP version to the attention of the rest of the world, and that caused the sub/dub fandom division and every terrible thing that happened in the sub's name."

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Gross oversimplification of the actual problem like production quality, storyline burnout, and a generation gap between older fans and newer fans especially during the advent of Pokemon Go which brought in a ton of new fans, casual and hardcore alike.

Ryu Taylor

Gross oversimplification of the actual problem like production quality, storyline burnout, and a generation gap between older fans and newer fans especially during the advent of Pokemon Go which brought in a ton of new fans, casual and hardcore alike.
"The JP version's one and only significant contribution to the world is the fact that its existence causes all other (and better) versions to be possible. That's not what I was saying was a bad thing. What I am saying is a bad thing is the fact that some overzealous fan brought the JP version to the attention of the rest of the world, and that caused the sub/dub fandom division and every terrible thing that happened in the sub's name."

I get the feeling I'll be needing to repeat this a lot until people get it.

Totheright

I get the feeling I'll be needing to repeat this a lot until people get it.

That's cute darling maybe someone other than yourself will believe this one day.~

SBaby

Dungeon Master
I see it as no different from any other long running beloved franchise...

The only main difference is that in other long running beloved franchises, the characters are well written and the shows remember the character development they got.

I will admit that for awhile, I did enjoy watching the anime, and I did get excited and hopeful about new episodes and sagas, until I reached the age of reason. Nowadays, I look at it as one of those long running 80s-esque cartoons that somehow just refuses to end, kind of like Teen Titans Go. If I had the slightest confidence in the writers for the series, I would be inclined to believe that they might listen to certain parts of the fanbase, but I don't. They've had over two decades to change this, but it's clear that they aren't interested in doing so.

Ryu Taylor

They've had over two decades to change this, but it's clear that they aren't interested in doing so.
Status quo is the name of OLM's (more like Status QuOLM) game.

One reason I like SM so much is that it did actually break from status quo moreso than any other saga.

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
One reason I like SM so much is that it did actually break from status quo moreso than any other saga.
Is that why the characters are flatter than cardboard?

Breaking status quo means that things change, yet we keep going back to Melemele, to the school, to await the next big thing

If the status quo changed, that'd mean Lillie would've stopped wearing her nihilego outfit and permanently swapped over to her character development outfit

Mallow would've actually spent time advertising her restaurant and coming up with new recipes. The fact it took until the third and final year for her to do any serious cooking - for a whopping one episode, I may add - means that the status quo hasn't budged an inch from episode one of the series

Lana would be actively training Nagisa, but nope, he's stuck being an arm-warmer

Anyone remember Lillie's Ice Stone? Anyone? Anyone at all?

Sham

The Guardian of War
I’m glad the jap sub became as popular as it is. Luckily as a child I didn’t care that much for the dialogue and music and I really thought Pokémon was an American creation. I just hated waking up every Saturday morning at 7 am for DP. I do pity these kids though who have to sit through XY/SM only to hear elevator music.

Status
Not open for further replies.