• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do none of the main characters express interest in catching legendaries?

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
So how come none of the main characters, besides Team Rocket, never express interest interest in catching legendary Pokemon?

The only time Ash in particular took an interest was way back in the original series Kanto arc just before the league if memory serves, Misty shot down that idea by pointing out he would probably train it about as well as he did with Charizard at that point, again if memory serves its been a while forgive me if I am getting facts wrong or mixed up.

But beyond that none of the main characters throughout time have ever expressed an interest in catching legendaries, why do you think that is?

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Maybe to not disturb it's role in society. I don't think legendaries are meant to be captured. They serve sacred order and aren't meant to be captured but rather worshipped, rarely sighted. Almost like a long told myth or legend of a hero.

Last edited:

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
IDK about others but if Ash catches Legs that means he'd have easy way to win leagues and it's obvious writers don't want that. Closest he got is Poipole when it evolves, still not even close to some good Legs. Not even Gladion's Silvally as Leg is not close to per say Noland's Articuno, Regis or even Tobias' Latios/Darkrai.

Kirby Dragons

Well, Ash was going to catch Latias in a movie.

Most of the time, the Legendaries/Mythicals are in some kind of danger, so wanting to catch them would be insensitive.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I assume it's due to a combination of in-universe reverence and respect. A Legendary just isn't something that the society of the Pokémon world looks at as something you should catch and remove from its natural environment. Before you bring up someone like Tobias, I believe that those characters only catch their Legendaries because they befriend them first, and the Legendary is the one that requests to be captured in order to fight alongside their respected friend.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I think @Red and Blue and @Bguy7 nailed it. In the Pokémon anime universe, legendary Pokémon are usually seen as deities, or at least creatures to greatly respect. A legendary Pokémon isn't a creature that society would consider catch-able, especially since so many of them are tied directly to the environments in which they live, and some of them are presented as the only one of their kind.

Deitylight

Legendary Trainer
Its usually because of plot that gets in the way and a general rule that's been put into the minds of others ever since Movie 2. Something is always happening that distracts people from the idea of catching legendary or mythical pokemon. Why do you think the likes of Tobias and a slew of other trainers introduced in the fourth generation anime caused such an uproar when these trainers broke that "Scared" rule?
TL;DR
Its because of the plot.

pokedigijedi

Saiyan Jedi
Its usually because of plot that gets in the way and a general rule that's been put into the minds of others ever since Movie 2. Something is always happening that distracts people from the idea of catching legendary or mythical pokemon. Why do you think the likes of Tobias and a slew of other trainers introduced in the fourth generation anime caused such an uproar when these trainers broke that "Scared" rule?
TL;DR
Its because of the plot.

That does sound like a logical explanation, and like someone said earlier its because usually the legendaries are being harassed by criminals usually Team Rocket so they probably see it as being in bad taste trying to catch them afterwards.

Curse you Pokemon Movie 2, for confusing everyone and creating that "sacred" rule

Daizy

I call you honey
Legendaries seem kinda hard to control so I get why common everyday trainers never catch them. Only high ranking trainers can handle them.