• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do people complain about Ash using his pokedex on pokemon he's seen before?

BAFF2020

I mean i usually look up stuff about pokemon to refresh myself on information and also to double check, also a lot of the pokemon he uses the dex on are pokemon he hasn't seen in a long time, and his different pokedexes give out different entries, so i don't know why people seem to think him using his pokedex means he somehow forgot about the pokemon completely

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
and also, in black and white since iris or cilan don't have pokedexes, he's probably using his to give iris and cilan information about the pokemon
I actually didn't thinking about that but now that seem good ideas for Satoshi or pokegirls from the games do that for those doesn't have a zunkans but TR trios seem to find way to get around that and so too Au!Satoshi and his friends too.

Leonhart

Imagineer
There's a stigma against Satoshi using his Zukan on Pokemon that he's already seen before, because people wrongly assume that he uses it because he forgot that he met certain Pokemon, even though he usually uses the Zukan on older Pokemon to gather new information since the device is constantly being updated. It's something that's done for the audience's benefit, anyway.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Never made any sense to me. I really think people only did this to sh** on BW since that’s where people mostly complain (despite him doing it in later series but whatever). The Pokédex entries are constantly updating within the games with interesting facts so why wouldn’t that be true in the anime?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
It didn't bother me much because I didn't care about Ash compared to his companions, and the producers probably made him scan the Pokemons because the audience who watch multiple series are a minority to them and they wanted to inform the new audience who are these Pokemons.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Never made any sense to me. I really think people only did this to sh** on BW since that’s where people mostly complain (despite him doing it in later series but whatever). The Pokédex entries are constantly updating within the games with interesting facts so why wouldn’t that be true in the anime?
Agreed....hell even Haruka used ner new zunkan in battle frontier arc to used it to refresh her memory.

Most his traveled friends doesn't had zunkan and doesn't exactly explained how or who and what is Pokemon to watchers unlike how an ai in the zunkan did .@AznKei

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Honestly, it never really bothered me, specially on seasons like BW where he's the only one with a pokédex.

The only minor issue is that Ash scanning a previously seen pokémon kind of takes away from the companion who does have a pokédex (May, Dawn, Serena, Goh) but that's not really a deal-breaker

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I don’t mind if it gives him new info on Pokémon he has only seen a few times and never owned such as Flygon. But when he used it on that one Charmander and it literally told him things he already knew is when I have a problem. The Dex told him Charmander will die if its tail goes out and he literally learned this the very first time he met Charmander. He knows all there is about the Charmander line because he has one! Ash may be dense at times but he definitely isn’t too stupid to forget about the tail flame. Remember Ash slaved all night long to keep Charizard warm in the Orange Islands after it was frozen completely during a battle. Ash monitored the tail’s flame and rubbed faster if it dimmed.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I think using Pokedex on Pokemon Ash has seen before is Ok since new information can be found on that Pokemon that Ash's other Pokedex didnt give. But I really like what XY did.
Whenever Ash and Serena scanned Pokenon instead looking at Pokedex we look at Pokemon doing something. Writers obviously noticed that it is too boring to look at static image in Pokedex.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Spider-Phoenix said:
The only minor issue is that Ash scanning a previously seen pokémon kind of takes away from the companion who does have a pokédex (May, Dawn, Serena, Goh) but that's not really a deal-breaker

I agree that it would make more sense for his friends to use their own Zukans to scan Pokemon that Satoshi's already seen. I wish that the writers would be more consistent with that instead of having Satoshi be the one who primarily used his Zukan.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
Just the usual fear from certain fans who fret about continuity. The Pokedex scanning thing doesn't bothered me too much but I sorta wish that Ash's pals would each have their own Pokedexes so that Ash wouldn't be the one scanning Pokemon 90% of the time. Also I miss James' Pokemon flashcards....

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
There's a stigma against Satoshi using his Zukan on Pokemon that he's already seen before, because people wrongly assume that he uses it because he forgot that he met certain Pokemon, even though he usually uses the Zukan on older Pokemon to gather new information since the device is constantly being updated. It's something that's done for the audience's benefit, anyway.
^ The only correct answer.

People who whine about Ash using the Pokedex need to chill out. There are so many situations where Ash clearly recognizes the Pokemon and then uses the Pokedex anyway, so it is obvious even to a toddler that the Pokedex is being used for another reason (whether it is for the benefit of the audience or to check if the entries have been updated, or perhaps even to refresh his memory of the Pokemon because God knows an average human brain can remember only so many details and the Pokedex serves as a nice refresher).

BAFF2020

I don’t mind if it gives him new info on Pokémon he has only seen a few times and never owned such as Flygon. But when he used it on that one Charmander and it literally told him things he already knew is when I have a problem. The Dex told him Charmander will die if its tail goes out and he literally learned this the very first time he met Charmander. He knows all there is about the Charmander line because he has one! Ash may be dense at times but he definitely isn’t too stupid to forget about the tail flame. Remember Ash slaved all night long to keep Charizard warm in the Orange Islands after it was frozen completely during a battle. Ash monitored the tail’s flame and rubbed faster if it dimmed.
but iris, cilan and N aren't from kanto, he was probably showing the pokedex for them

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
It’s one of those infamous nitpicks people use to make seem like a terrible Trainer like when they say he releases all of his Pokémon, never evolves any of them, always loses due to lack of training, hasn’t captured a lot of Pokémon in every new season and often “resets” in every region. It’s just blown out of proportion for fans who expect Ash to be this OP veteran.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It’s just blown out of proportion for fans who expect Ash to be this OP veteran.

Aka, they want him to be Red, even if that wouldn't make an engaging show at all.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
It does not make sense but maybe it is because not all the Pokedex describe a Pokemon the same way another one might do (by another one i mean in another pokedex region) the information may difer so that could be a reason for him to learn new stuff on the same Pokemon he's already used the Pokedex with.

Last edited: