• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do people dislike Black and White and Sun and Moon animes?

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
It's most obviously clear that the BW anime was hated for Ash's personality being completely reset back into a noob, and doing stuff dumb enough like relying entirely on Palpitoad against Elesa with no backup plan. As for SM, it's mainly due to the contentious art style, and the change of format to a slice-of-life school setting based on Yo-Kai Watch which was heavily beating Pokemon in Japan at the time.

Vernikova

Champion
I remember many year ago when I stopped watching after DP ended, and I found myself not very interested in Black and White, which may have been more about me losing interest in Pokemon in general rather than any criticism of Black and White since I stopped playing the games or interacting with the series. I watched it many years later, and I found it okay: it was just like the rest of the anime. I guess people may have hated the character personalities, the character "resets" after the Sinnoh League, and heavier emphasis on comedy is why people were put off by it.

I never watched anything past Black and White, so I can't really say for other series.

AJ97

I think one of the reasons is because of the importance people place on Ash's competency/success as a trainer, which strongly correlates with how much someone likes a particular part of the anime.

So let us look at Sinnoh and Kalos, the regions before Unova and Alola.

Ash peaked in Sinnoh. His battling skills immensely improved and he had a solid well rounded excellent team. On top of that team, he also used his powerful reserves in the Pokemon League. Combined with this, he had an amazing Rival who helped push Ash and take him to new heights and the anime was forced to introduce a Trainer with Multiple Legendaries as an excuse to defeat Ash as he was simply that powerful in Sinnoh.

Instead of peaking upwards, Ash regressed completely in Unova where he started behaving like a Rookie during battles. His Pikachu lost against a newbie trainer's Snivy. Ash even had an embarrassing defeat in the Pokemon League where he lost against a trainer with a disadvantage.
This downward trend in Ash's growth as a trainer was one of the biggest issues.

As for Alola, it again goes back to Kalos. The Ash in Kalos started battling again like his Sinnoh self. He was even given an elite four tier pokemon taking him one step further. His final battle was against a trainer who actually defeated an Elite four Member and Ash actually put up an even fight which was very impressive. Ash even managed to force a Regional Champion to take him seriously during battle.
After all this, Ash's competency as a trainer went more downwards than upwards here.

Yes, Ash won his first regional league and he was still a veteran trainer and his performance didn't fall as much as it did in Unova. That said, the main issue here was simply the lack of competition. The league Ash ended up winning was the same league Team rocket finished Top 8/16. There was hardly anyone as good or better than Ash in the league, to give him a noteworthy win. Gladion wasn't really that impressive or better than Ash, to begin with. The same could be said about Kukui.

k6666

Pikachu Fan
I think after all discussions I gonna get the conclusion that some of you hate or love the series because how ash treatment on the series is like BW he going reset and kinda dumb, on XY he treated like hero and someone to look up for or on SM ,he is treated like butt monkey and like to make Jojo face

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Black and White: Cylan's Connosieur and Evaluation Time really got on my nerves. He has a addiction for everything.

Sun and Moon: Very weird artstyle but i enjoyed it.