• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do people hate DP Brock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJC

Seriously, I keep reading over and over again that people cannot stand DP Brock. But I personally didn't see anything wrong with him. So could someone explain exactly why DP Brock is so hated?

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Apparently he stood in the background and did nothing and had bland interactions with Dawn and Ash, though I didn't mind him in DP since he did get some focus in the previous series. I also don't mind it because I was more interested in Dawns character than Brock. I do think he's underrated in DP as well as the DP trio's group chemistry in general.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
Because he was useless 90-something percent of the time and was used more comic relief--chiefly a running gag that got old quit and then wouldn't go away--than anything else.

Oh, he made himself useful or battled on occasion, but more times than not he'd just stand around talking or would hit on a girl to get poison jabbed. It's like the creative team just didn't know what to DO with him much of the time.

It also doesn't help that he had little business in Sinnoh in the first damn place, and/or many people were just sick of him by then.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
You'll now get bombarded with a load of ridiculously contrived answers, but it all simply boils down to the fact that they were bored of him after seeing him all through OS and AG..

I personally still liked him and loved his involvement in the Team Galactic arc..

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
Seriously, I keep reading over and over again that people cannot stand DP Brock. But I personally didn't see anything wrong with him. So could someone explain exactly why DP Brock is so hated?

No one hates him, people though his story was "done" and he didnt add anything to the show but they didn't hate him, alteast no in the anime spoilers section, plus he didnt have great interactions with Hikari but thats not an issue from just one side.

Red and Blue

I still liked him in DP, though I felt he was the least interesting in the trio. The writers didn't give him enough to do unlike Dawn and Ash.

Eon Hero

soaring the skyes...
BROCK had nothing do to in Sinhon.. he just stood there to complete the trio as always... falling in love and getting punched... no big deal. Besides, he already had a long story from past series and it seems the creation team just had a mind block or somthing

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
He overstayed his welcome pretty much.

Haunter ゴースト

I don't hate DP Brock, I hate the writers and what they did to DP Brock.

Why they didn't give him any development besides 2? Episodes of being a doctor is beyond me - and the fact he didn't have a team change from the 30th? Episode up until the end of the saga was ridiculous. He deserved better treatment and i will never forgive the writers for it.

chalkus

Most of the hate towards Brock comes from petty Misty fangirls/boys and pokeshippers who are still upset that she was kicked off the main cast and wanted Brock to suffer the same fate out of spite.

What people keep forgetting is that the third character in the cast plays the least role in the show and is more of a mentor/guide. Brock and those who have followed him were never meant to be in the spotlight, hence the role he had. Personally, I was fine with how he was portrayed in DP, especially since Dawn's role was greater than any female main character before her. People need to chill on the mindless hate.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I didn't hate DP Brock, but he overstayed his welcome. He wasn't funny anymore and his goal was as pointless as ever in my view. He's in a better place now.

Last edited:

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I didn't hate DP Brock, I just wasn't invested in him by this point. But I can say the same for Ash at this point too. I wanted a new dynamic of characters and DP only gave you Dawn as the only new character with Ash and Brock more or less the same characters they have always been, so it was easy for me to get bored of them right away. I never hated Brock in DP I just wanted a entire new cast by the time DP rolled around and all we got was one new character. Never hated him, but he shouldn't have been in DP. At least not without a second new character to balance it out like AG did.

WaterTypeWarrior

it seems the creation team just had a mind block or somthing

Don't you mean a mind BROCK?! ...I'll show myself out now.

In all seriousness, I don't think it's that people hated him as much as they were tired of him by the time Sinnoh started. That, combined with the fact that he rarely did much in DP, makes people complain about him a lot more than he really deserves. Sure, he didn't add much to the show, but he certainly didn't hurt it with his mere presence.

Also, I'm sorry, but the argument that he had no reason to be in Sinnoh is completely stupid. By that logic, one could also argue that he had no purpose in AG either, yet no one complains about him nearly as much there. It really does just boil down to his character becoming stale.

Also, I don't care what anyone says, Croagunk made the love gag funny again and it stayed funny up until his departure.

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
Most of the hate towards Brock comes from petty Misty fangirls/boys and pokeshippers who are still upset that she was kicked off the main cast and wanted Brock to suffer the same fate out of spite.

Top kek. How do you manage to make up **** so easily? Teach me senpai.

---------------

Anyway, Brock just wasn't needed in Sinnoh. DP should have been the Ash & Dawn Show. DP Ash was already quite mature and didn't need an older mentor as much, and him and Dawn had chemistry to play off each other for a series. Dawn was a co-star, so her focus overshadowed Brock's.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
While Brock wasn't written the best in Sinnoh, due to him standing on the sidelines most of the time, I'd still take him any day over Cilan and Clemont. I wold never say that I didn't like him.

pokemon fan 132

This kind of topic make me wander why some people express same amount of hate like Brock in DP is receiving toward Misty character and Johto?
Acting like Whirl Cup was all she did being "useless background". When thats far from true doing more in that saga than given credit for, got engaging development in second half of it and bringing lot of entertainment value by herself .

Or immense hatred for poor Iris in BW blaming all issues from that saga writing on her character? Despite having imo pretty unique background, refreshing goals to achieve and dynamic personality.

Personally i never hated Brock, so DP wasn't exception. In fact i never hated any character in pokemon show. Did some irritated me or caused disappointment failing to meet my standards? Yes, but never to the point of developing such negativoty and disgust toward character that i could not stand him/her.

Problem with DP i guess was that writers reduced Brock involvement in episodes even more than it was case with previous sagas(for role Brock obtained i was fine with focus he got in OS and AG not feeling left out and being able to say how his presence left some impact on those respective sagas). But in Sinnoh he was rarely involved within action. Having opportunity in passing his knowledge about pokemon relationships, battles or strategies to Ash friends(something which he did with Misty especially in havbing several things in common but to visible extent May too in having some quality moments spent togwther allowing that their friendship ferments and gain more substance with time). And proviode helping hand to other companions in helping defeat villains, deal with dangerous pokemon or in how to come up with strategy to defeat opponent.

Being more so disappointed than anything else of writers making balanced, more stable division of screen time between all three main cast members rather than just select two(Ash and Dawn). Providing new way through which Brock character could remain proactive and eventful to follow. In changing his role from someone who taught Ash about pokemon and battling while navigationg, cooking and taking care of their pokemon. In character whose past, career and motives would be explored more, being able to coexist with Ash and Dawn as important asset to main cast. Backbone on which younger , more inexperienced trainers like Dawn could rely and learn new things from him. While moving things forward with his own dream of becoming top breeder.

Or if production staff still wanted to have him become doctor, at least dedicate some set of episodes, arc revolved aropund Brock selfquestioning. Trying to consult with other people and decide whats best for his future, rather than jamming everything in last few episodes. Being rushed and too incoherent.

But at end of the day that was more so writers fault of not utilizing Brock more missing on opportunities to make better use of his character, than anything else.

EDIT:
PS. I see people saying Brock should had been removed sooner because he "overstayed its welcome".

But what does exactly mean overstaying your welcome?

To have character for who vewers feel he no longer produce anything productive to other main characters and storyline losing its significance? To cause people get bored of its antics and personality?

Or to give out imression how his potential was run dry not having room to be developed more?

Because people who grew sick of Brock wanting him gone overlook fact how there exists other side of coin. Fans which still liked Brock, enjoyed in his characterization, humor, flaws, quirks and habits. Wanting him to stay in anime and have writers do justice with character.

Fans who feel Brock had juice left in himself to offer more on table and could receive development more engaging and of higher quality if writers invested more energy and effort in breaking mold with Brock character. Learn more about his history, have him go through some struggles or personal issues he may had suppressed from past bringing new dimension to character.

And receive bigger importance to play in pokemon journey.

Its often forgotten how not all feel the same and how not everyone is happy with main characters being replaced wantingto see writers rather doing better job in keeping cast fresh and interesting. Passing through more substasntial growth and gaining new depth to themselves.

Instead of being replaced and forgotten about.

I don't think he ever detracted from any episodes simply because I don't actually remember him doing much of significance during DP. DP may have been my favourite series, but I really don't remember any Brock moments off the top of my head that don't involve him cooking, giving battle commentary from the sidelines, or his flirting gag.

So while I don't think he detracted from any episodes, he definitely didn't add anything. I mean, I guess it worked out mathematically having three main characters to match up with the lake guardians.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
As far as Brock "overstaying his welcome" goes, my opinion is that since Cilan and Clemont after him weren't really improvements as far as importance in the story goes, and really do the exact same thing he did, I'd rather see a classic and traditional character that we all know and love than someone new.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
As far as Brock "overstaying his welcome" goes, my opinion is that since Cilan and Clemont after him weren't really improvements as far as importance in the story goes, and really do the exact same thing he did, I'd rather see a classic and traditional character that we all know and love than someone new.

While they weren't vast improvements over Brock, at least they had a few different interests and were new faces for the cast, which was enough in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.