• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do people keep saying that XYZ was the best season since the DP saga?

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I fully expect Serena's Hoenn journey to be her calling off the battle portions of the contests only to get dirty looks from everyone around her. The girl can barely finish her battles. The universe itself conspires so that someone or something interferes with them.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I fully expect Serena's Hoenn journey to be her calling off the battle portions of the contests only to get dirty looks from everyone around her. The girl can barely finish her battles. The universe itself conspires so that someone or something interferes with them.
I’m convinced to this day that was just suppose to be an unsaid running gag in XY but it happened way to often and almost all the time.

Lillie doesnt count as anything.
She would be considered a budding trainer. Naturally it’s taking longer than her predecessors because she comes from a wealthy family and was sheltered her whole life, not to mention Alola isn’t exactly a travelling region (anime wise).

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
In my fanfic version, she's based of her determined state like the 2nd Goomy and Eevee capture episodes. Other Pokegirls like Dawn, May & Iris are testing her in battles to see how worthy she is, she barely talks about Ash to anyone except Misty, since the latter, like him, is also from Kanto, and Palermo is monitoring her whole "performances" during her Hoenn adventure.

Kintaro

Banned
I think now that Serena has Braixen, Sylveon, etc. she'll start off being a pretty capable battler in her Hoenn journey. It's not like she's a beginning trainer anymore, she'd be no worse than new trainers starting off with 1 pokemon.

Kintaro

Banned
Well if we compare Serena now with Braixen/Pancham/Sylveon at the beginning of her journey, she's certainly more prepared than May/Dawn were in the beginning of their journeys. All May had was a weak Torchic that couldn't battle and a just starting Beautifly, and Dawn just had Piplup/Buneary by her first Contest.

Now obviously it took Serena an entire region just to get started, but starting a new Contest journey and she already mastered appeals in XY, she'd do fairly well against beginning coordinators in Hoenn.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Well if we compare Serena now with Braixen/Pancham/Sylveon at the beginning of her journey, she's certainly more prepared than May/Dawn were in the beginning of their journeys. All May had was a weak Torchic that couldn't battle and a just starting Beautifly, and Dawn just had Piplup/Buneary by her first Contest.

Now obviously it took Serena an entire region just to get started, but starting a new Contest journey and she already mastered appeals in XY, she'd do fairly well against beginning coordinators in Hoenn.
Assuming she doesn’t face someone that can actually battle. There isn’t a “rookie” Contest. It’s a mixed bag with new and old competitors

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Assuming she doesn’t face someone that can actually battle. There isn’t a “rookie” Contest. It’s a mixed bag with new and old competitors
I think it would be cool if she encounters a random rookie trainer who just started a journey with a weak Pokemon and the latter challenges her to give an idea how tough his journey would be. I don't think they would keep streak of her infamous non-finished battles further in that situation, it would be embarrassing for her.

DatsRight

Am I right in thinking Korrina's the only female post-XY that got KOed more than once?

It's like some sort of weird pragmatic mandate, like an exec wanted the violence toned down for the girls but said 'Okay, you can get in ONE so it won't break the story' (eg. obviously a female gym leader would demand one defeat by Ash). It would explain the apathy in making the main girls battle from this point since they obviously can't realistically just give them a winning streak with one token loss stuck in there. Serena used her one token defeat early on (though they were sneaky with an alternate universe loophole) so after that they sort of lost the ability to give her natural progression. I think Bonnie lost once too, though since she didn't really battle anyway it didn't stick out. It might explain other awkwardness like Hapu only using one Pokemon (like they forgot to add stipulations for rounds or something), even Jessie has Bewear in SM so Mimikyu has only really suffered one clear defeat (though Jessie herself getting brutalised seems fair game either way). If the SM girls all have one strategically timed KO before the show ends I'm almost tempted to believe this might be real.

Last edited:

p96822

Evolve me please
There are some people that don't like Pokemon Diamond and Pearl just as much as XY because of weak writing points.

Like some people don't like Dawn because she didn't know what she was doing and not using her lesson from her mother to become a coordinator. If we remember that Dawn only brought clothes and no one else.

Last edited:

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Like some people don't like Dawn because she didn't know what she was doing and not using her lesson from her mother to become a coordinator. If we remember that Dawn only brought clothes and no one else.
Well they had to give her flaws, not matter how annoying they can be, and develop her throughout her journey. If she was too good then her character would be boring quickly.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
Am I right in thinking Korrina's the only female post-XY that got KOed more than once?

It's like some sort of weird pragmatic mandate, like an exec wanted the violence toned down for the girls but said 'Okay, you can get in ONE so it won't break the story' (eg. obviously a female gym leader would demand one defeat by Ash). It would explain the apathy in making the main girls battle from this point since they obviously can't realistically just give them a winning streak with one token loss stuck in there. Serena used her one token defeat early on (though they were sneaky with an alternate universe loophole) so after that they sort of lost the ability to give her natural progression. I think Bonnie lost once too, though since she didn't really battle anyway it didn't stick out. It might explain other awkwardness like Hapu only using one Pokemon (like they forgot to add stipulations for rounds or something), even Jessie has Bewear in SM so Mimikyu has only really suffered one clear defeat (though Jessie herself getting brutalised seems fair game either way). If the SM girls all have one strategically timed KO before the show ends I'm almost tempted to believe this might be real.

I think you're going into wild mass speculations that lead to nowhere.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
Why do people keep saying that XYZ was the best season since the DP saga? Could I get a few people over here?
Mainly, XY/Z in general was a fresh breath after the tsunami of hate that the whole fandom became for three years thanks to BW.

Things felt like all chances were higher. Better battles, likeable main group, Alain's side journey and establish him as co-protagonist and Team Flare's arc was the best of any other villain team.

It was great have Ash feels as a hero protagonist for a change instead and someone actually dependable to the rookies companions (and, quite honestly, before someone pulls the "personality" card, I'll take effectiveness and likability over personality anytime, thank you), Clemont was the funnier side companion we had in years (until Kiawe), Serena being the romantic heroine really grew on me and Bonnie was surprisingly well developed for a tag along kid. Alain and Mairin with their own personal arc added new life for who wanted to see a non-Ash character in journey. Not use the TRio as main source of problems was for good and the group's pokemon was entertaining.

Sycamore was well used as a support character, Lisandre was a better executed Cyrus and Zygard's role in general felt more organic than legendaries (pre-SM), since it took its time to took a like on the group (specially Bonnie).

Of course, the series have its problems. Diantha failed to be be the next Cynthia, Serena could use more battles, Ash could have had one more Kalos mon and no releases, but nothing that actually make it bad and I'm generally satisfied with the whole saga.

Kintaro

Banned
SM is gaining a lot of stream and I'm noticing XY getting a lot of hype backlash lately outside on social media. SM has generally gotten better due to the writers getting used to the new style better. I think the thing is a lot of XY fans also left the fandom or don't post much anymore so it seems like people moved on from XY whereas the people watching SM are the ones who didn't care much for it.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
SM is gaining a lot of stream and I'm noticing XY getting a lot of hype backlash lately outside on social media. SM has generally gotten better due to the writers getting used to the new style better. I think the thing is a lot of XY fans also left the fandom or don't post much anymore so it seems like people moved on from XY whereas the people watching SM are the ones who didn't care much for it.

In other words, a Zelda Cycle. Better not get too comfortable since the fandom pendulum tends to swing back and forth. If push comes to shove, you can always expect a rebuttal fairly soon since there are flaws within the series that easily be pushed to the open.

You say this as SM puts out a terrible filler today

Kintaro

Banned
You say this as SM puts out a terrible filler today

The Precure stuff was great though. SM actually works best when it does wacky things not in past sagas. It's when SM does regular battles like the Hapu Kahuna battle that it's terrible. I mean most would agree SM is generally poor when it comes to battles/pokemon handling and some of the characters on the main cast don't get much development. And of course opinions on SM Ash is mixed with most people.

But it generally excels in other areas when it does give some focus to the side cast and has some unique/funny episodes.