• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do people only pick strong pokemon?

EraSN

I mean, isn't it also fun to pick your favorites in your team? It seems everyone is so concerned about evolving pokemon and whatnot. What if you like the pre evolution better?

I've had many people message me saying that its stupid that I have three fire pokemon in my team and that I should have evolved my cyndaquil and pikachu. *pokes trainer card*. I tell them its true skill to win with your favorites. Who cares if I have a level 100 Cyndaquil right? xD Also I feel like its more original because everyone who picks cyndaquil as their starter pretty much evolves it. Its rare to see a level 100 cyndaquil like mine.

Does anyone else actually not worry about EV's, have fun with natures instead of being picky about them because it effects their stats, and doesn't evolve their pokemon in their /main/ team?

Scaldaver

Limitless
Trust me, I would love to go through the game like that, but I have this weird thing where I soon bsess over the game and hope to make it perfect (though I usually start again later). For example, I was recently thinking that i would have a Linoone in my Emerald game, but I looked at the Smogon age and it said it was bad. I know it shouldn't affect me and I tried not to make it, but now I probably won't get one.

There's also the issue of practicality in the games - not evolving your Pokemon is just handicapping yourself.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I guess it's for bragging rights, mostly. People generally want to win, and there are those people who take Pokémon seriously.

I don't care for EV training, or for natures, it's never appealed to me. My brother has been getting into EV training, so I'm just all "Good for you", but I don't pay attention to the stats every time I level up. I will look at them at my spare time, but I don't exactly see how it affects my battling ability. I rarely have wireless battles anyway. As for evolving, I always evolve my Pokémon, but I can understand why you may not want to evolve your Pokémon. If you can find a way to make it work out for you, then kudos to you. I mean, there's a video out there about a level 100 Magikarp kicking the butt of an all-Legendary team with extremely low health and Flail. So people have found a way to be a game breaker.

EraSN

Yeah, I found having cyndaquil in my heartgold never really handicapped me. I really just had to train him harder than others. His level was usually the highest by 7-10 levels in my team throughout the game. So it does seem like it handicaps you, and yes it does become more difficult with a starter who is unevolved, but really all it takes is more effort when training.

Last edited:

MagmaGruntTéa

Girl with the 3DS
Well I didn't think Linoone was bad. I beat Sapphire several times with one on my team. I've actually used both Linoone and Mightyena on a team and still won so it just depends. Case end point, I don't care about what kind of Pokemon has bad stats or not. I think it's all about how your raise it and the time spent training. But that's just me.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
I mean, isn't it also fun to pick your favorites in your team? It seems everyone is so concerned about evolving pokemon and whatnot. What if you like the pre evolution better?

I've had many people message me saying that its stupid that I have three fire pokemon in my team and that I should have evolved my cyndaquil and pikachu. *pokes trainer card*. I tell them its true skill to win with your favorites. Who cares if I have a level 100 Cyndaquil right? xD Also I feel like its more original because everyone who picks cyndaquil as their starter pretty much evolves it. Its rare to see a level 100 cyndaquil like mine.

Does anyone else actually not worry about EV's, have fun with natures instead of being picky about them because it effects their stats, and doesn't evolve their pokemon in their /main/ team?

I don't always pick inherently strong Pokemon; I'm actually planning on adding a Dunsparce to my B2 team because he's one of my favorite Pokemon and skill-wise, he's actually pretty decent (Serene Grace+Thunder Wave+Rock Slide).

I certainly don't worry about EVs (I may do a little EV training if I have nothing else to do), IVs (rubbish), or breeding (time-consuming). I do get picky about Natures though (and boy does it bug the hell out of me having to worry about them instead of enjoying the game); I at least have to have something neutral.

As for NFE Pokemon, they're not too bad really, and nowadays it's a fairly viable market thanks to Eviolites.

Last edited:

EraSN

Yeah but strong doesn't always mean better?

But you also have to ask, what if someone's favorites are the fully evolved or strong Pokemon? To me, Torchic is great and all, but I like Blaziken a lot more. In addition, my two favorite Pokemon introduced in BW are Haxorus and Terrakion, which are solid OU Pokemon in competitive battling.

Of course, if someone else wants to go through the game with pre-evos or whatnot, I have no problem with it. The in-game play is just supposed to be fun. I've played through a few old games with different gimmicks before, such as starter only or something. It isn't competitive battling; you're not going to win anything special by beating the game, so I say play it however you want.

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Well I do have favorites that are first stage evolution and would love to run a game with them like that, but it becomes difficult.. besides I love Axew and Joltik but their evolutions are even more awesome. I don't pick for "strong", just favorites XP

I guess it's for bragging rights, mostly. People generally want to win, and there are those people who take Pokémon seriously.

I don't care for EV training, or for natures, it's never appealed to me. My brother has been getting into EV training, so I'm just all "Good for you", but I don't pay attention to the stats every time I level up. I will look at them at my spare time, but I don't exactly see how it affects my battling ability. I rarely have wireless battles anyway. As for evolving, I always evolve my Pokémon, but I can understand why you may not want to evolve your Pokémon. If you can find a way to make it work out for you, then kudos to you. I mean, there's a video out there about a level 100 Magikarp kicking the butt of an all-Legendary team with extremely low health and Flail. So people have found a way to be a game breaker.
This, and I don't really want help from Sentret when trying to beat the Elite Four

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
lol I certainly don't. I only use the ones that look cool to me <3

Crimson Penguin

Marchin' on
For in-game purposes, there's no rule saying you can only use "strong" or fully-evolved Pokemon. For example (and I know I sound like a broken record here), Flareon is one of my two favorite Pokemon, and I use it whenever I get the chance in the main game. I'm also doing monotype runs in Platinum in which I'm using a lot of Pokemon most people don't ever consider using, like Bibarel, Lopunny, and Floatzel. I'll admit that I usually don't keep my Pokemon unevolved, and I do care to some degree about natures and IVs, but overall, I try not to let more competitive aspects affect my enjoyment of the game. So no, there's nothing wrong with having three Fire-types on your team, or to have raised your Cyndaquil to level 100. Everyone is entitled to play the way they want - that's the beauty of Pokemon.

Aegon

It's ridiculous to goad people on their choice of Pokémon, be it strong or weak Pokémon (that is only the selfish perception of people).

rckstr

I dont care about in game but when I play competitive I use whatever is needed to win, they might be the most ugly pokemon but if they win me competitive games I dont care, I EV Train, get natures, flawless IVs and RNG when I play competitive unlike when I play through the story which is just having fun.

TheEliteEmpoleon

In the game natures and stuff like that don't appeal to me, and I've just started EV training for competitive pokemon. But no matter what I'm playing I like to pick the pokemon that not a lot of people pick.

Watchog

Lv. 50
Why do people only pick strong pokemon?
1.They suck and fail so hard that, they can't win with any other pokemon and feel forced to use them.
2.Because they don't care if they're all ugly, they just wanna win and that's it.
3.Because most people use them, so they gotta use them too.
4.They're little kids that go like, omg tyranitar! it strung! me liek metacross too! someone beat me withe one! it strong! i gotta have one on may team! -.-btw.. let's hope this thread doesn't get locked, the staff are quite terrible here on serebii. just to let you know.

Aegon

1.They suck and fail so hard that, they can't win with any other pokemon and feel forced to use them.
2.Because they don't care if they're all ugly, they just wanna win and that's it.
4.They're little kids that go like, omg tyranitar! it strung! me liek metacross too! someone beat me withe one! it strong! i gotta have one on may team! -.-
Or they actually like the Pokémon, regardless of strength.

btw.. let's hope this thread doesn't get locked, the staff are quite terrible here on serebii. just to let you know.
There are two or three that can be commended. This thread has no reason to be locked, or at least, it didn't.

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*

It's just how people play the game. People get strong pokemon to defeat in game trainers or battle online. I really don't see how having a level 100 Cyndaquil will make the game "easier", but that's how you play. Some people play with 1 pokemon as a "team", others with a team of one type. It does take skill to play with your favorites, but then you aren;t using their full potential.

4.They're little kids that go like, omg tyranitar! it strung! me liek metacross too! someone beat me withe one! it strong! i gotta have one on may team! -.-btw.. let's hope this thread doesn't get locked, the staff are quite terrible here on serebii. just to let you know.

No. Just no.

Last edited: