• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do people only pick strong pokemon?

Princess Raspberyl

~Shining One~
^ I think Karen said something to that effect. I can't remember though, I haven't played Heartgold in forevers.
I think people just choose strong ones cuz they don't want to lose a lot? =P Maybe, I dunno. I'm a mixed case I guess. I choose my favorites that are good Pokemon. ^_^

EonDragonFTW

Personally, I choose my favorites that I've stuck with for ages (but they just happen to be evolved pokes)and they are very valuable to me, both in-game and in online battles. I've started to actually look at them more as friends than as bits of data in a game card

Star Champion AJ

Karen: "Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites. I like your style. You understand what's important."

I couldn't care less about natures, EVs and IVs.
I don't have any problem with having my favourites, being strong or weak, though in my playthroughs I follow some sort of tradition.
I evolve my Pokémon as soon as it can, except when I want to teach some moves.
If the Pokémon evolves via stone, I only use the stone after teaching certain moves.
I like having one (and ONLY one) pseudo-legendary in my games (in White 2, I won't do it)
I like training Dragon type Pokémon, though I only train one Dragon per playthrough
I like training odd looking Pokémon sometimes.

EonDragonFTW

Only one?
Dragons are my favorite type (I have a lot of them), but I don't only use them (people who only use one type are racist, as Professor Oak once said)

Star Champion AJ

Only one?
Dragons are my favorite type (I have a lot of them), but I don't only use them (people who only use one type are racist, as Professor Oak once said)

Dragons are also my favourite type, but I don't like training more than 1-2 Pokémon of the same type, so that's why I train only one Dragon per playthrough.
Forgot to mention, I don't like training legendary Pokémon, except Arcanine (check the Pokédex for more info)

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
I normally use the ones that aren't used as much. In HG I always see people take Ampharos, and I used to do it but not anymore, it's not as fun for me as it used to. Also Pokemon I have never used before (except for starter). I dont care about EV or IV. Natures sometimes, I don't like having a Tyranitar that has a nature that favours Special Attack, I either go for defense or Attack (per example), but I normally use the Pokemon like I capture them. But I always evolve, except when it's trades, I have no way of trading. I dont breed either :p

EonDragonFTW

Well, I didn't really know natures existed until right before BW came out, and when I finally did find out, I didn't care at all. EV training is waaaayyyy too tedious; it's hard enough getting them to lv 100. Just train your pokemon normally in game and the EVs will naturally accumulate. Sometimes tho I get pokes with maxed out Evs with like 252 in two stats and 0 in the rest the ideal natures off of GTS negotiations. ey're strong, but I only trade them so I can get my fave Pokemon. (I reaally have no way of transfering anymore from my Diamond, and my Soulsilver crashed and erased EVERYTHING so I couldn't even start a new game)

Zecaomes

Hey Scotty,Jesus Man
I normally use the ones that aren't used as much. In HG I always see people take Ampharos, and I used to do it but not anymore, it's not as fun for me as it used to. Also Pokemon I have never used before (except for starter). I dont care about EV or IV. Natures sometimes, I don't like having a Tyranitar that has a nature that favours Special Attack, I either go for defense or Attack (per example), but I normally use the Pokemon like I capture them. But I always evolve, except when it's trades, I have no way of trading. I dont breed either :p

I completely agree with you. I always see DPPt teas with Lucario, Straraptor, Luxray, Garchomp and this just make this Pokémon boring for me.
I was going to use Ampharos on my Black 2, but when I saw that everybody used it, it just got boring

AwesomeReshiram93

THE MANNIS ARISES
Because its awesome to have strong Pokemon. But reality is I do train the odd Pokemon here and there. To the point where I recently started training a Carnivine in Soulsilver. So I would say I do pick strong Pokemon but behind the scenes I like to train the outcasts. Makes it more fun.

Pspaans

X&Y Fan
I'll use all the pokémon I like. Strong or weak.
I have a Darkrai from an event, he has Spacial rand and I like him a lot. but even if he hasn't Spacial rand, I still like him.
And sometimes, strong pokémon are used by people that don't know much about pokémon (some trainers uses ground moves against flying pokémon, my brother for example). then, weak pokémon can beat strong pokémon. What i'm trying to say is: Strong or weak, it doesn't interest.

I tend to seek for strong Pokémon to use in battles, but i like to use my favourites too.

Gillig

Because they want to win.

I'm not saying that is how to make a team. Some people are more hardcore competitive than others. Some people like to make a creative team based on a fun strategy or pick their favorites. Everyone enjoys the game differently.

I do choose powerful pokemon but I try to use ones I like. If I don't like the pokemon I am using I can't get into the game/deck I am playing. I don't care to train for IV/EV or worry about natures. This makes the game too tedious and a lot less fun for me.

Mr.FusRoDah

Because they want to win.

I'm not saying that is how to make a team. Some people are more hardcore competitive than others. Some people like to make a creative team based on a fun strategy or pick their favorites. Everyone enjoys the game differently.

I do choose powerful pokemon but I try to use ones I like. If I don't like the pokemon I am using I can't get into the game/deck I am playing. I don't care to train for IV/EV or worry about natures. This makes the game too tedious and a lot less fun for me.

Same. I know little of IVs, but still try to catch one of each species, and try to get at least one of each ability. I even beat Ghetis' Bisharp with a Low Sweep, delivered by my Inner Focus Sawk. With that Sawk, I won against Ghetis, after his Bisharp Night Slashed my Victini. Anyway, yes, worrying about natures and abilities is just too much for me. I got enough to worry about irl, I don't need it in my game. I have faith that God gives me the pokemon I need to win, and in Unova, that has been proven so. Yes, I got DW ability pokemon, and I got egg move pokemon which make their way to victory easily. But I always, always, ALWAYS, make sure I'm having fun. I use what I feel is right to use in a battle, usually making sure the types on my team work well and usually I do good if I take a few minutes to think it out. No need to worry about natures, and not too much about abilities. I have much more fun this way.

Cutty

Forever now

Some of my favorite pokemon happen to be strong like Espeon. Most of them aren't.
Like some say here, some people like to win, some just want to have fun.
Just be cool with it.
]

Graz

I use strong pokemon because in game, even though I fight EVERY trainer. My team of 6 are always under levelled when up against the elite four. So I always get the stronger stat pokemon to help with that. The other thing is I need pokemon that can either 1 hit ko the league pokemon or be able to take at least 2-3 hits and kill the other one 1-1. Another problem is the elite four and the champ use full restores... Argh. I also find stronger pokemon look cooler. I despise those cute little igglybuffs and emolgas etc. After my first run through of the game and after trading my in game team to another game. When I start a new game I'm looking for a different team and often to due my previous experiences I do incorporate 1 or 2 mediocre pokemon if they have a good strategy going for em :).

I used to use my starter and legendaries and maybe 1 other poke in game up until gen 3. Where it got boring.. so since then I've always got a team of 6. Although now I'm happy to have a team of 5 whose levels are matched against the E4's so I don't have to use items during the battle, only in between. The 6th poke? HM Slave :) or the highest levelled wild pokemon/daycare poke which I left there for agess gets enlisted for help.

Online however.. I'm only after strong strategy which.. does incorporate strong pokemon but hey.. My NU weaker statted pokemon did well in OU in 4th gen :) Pokes like Muk, Regirock etc :D

Jinvaani

I don't like using the eviolite, for some reason - I'd much prefer Blissey over Chansey. I guess I just prefer pokemon to be in their final forms, rather than being incomplete.

coolminun

Banned
In game, this sort of thing s fine. I never evolved my starters when I played the original G/S, and although it was hard i love seeing my chikorita rape the elite four. But, for competitive battles little cup is the tier you're looking for