• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do people only pick strong pokemon?

SouLx

I guess I tend to use my favorites, but there's something about min/maxing that I like. I always prefer to take that pokemon and try to get it to be the best it can be, be it through IV breeding, nature breeding and EV training or what have you. I enjoy doing so. I do not abuse RNG, as I do not like it, but I do not look down on those who do.

I also don't look down on people who just like to take a casual approach to playing the game, because it doesn't matter. It seems some people think that the way they do it is 'the right and only way', and anyone who does anything different has a fiendish motive or are mindless drones. Which is not true, they just have a different preference to play their game. It's not like the two are going to cross all that often (Competetive and Casual), so I don't see the disdain between the two preferences.

In the end, who cares how someone plays, whether it be to win, or to just see your favorites fight. You're still having fun either way.

Last edited:

Bokk

I just happen to like the designs of some Pokemon that turn out to be strong. I dont only pick strong Pokemon though.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
Hmmm...I don't like to use overpowered pokemon because the game becomes boring.I use the ones that I like based on how they look.For example,I didn't evolve my Snvy in Black and let me tell you,it could hold its own with Coil and stuff.I evolved it before the League though an didn't like it anymore.

If I don't like the evo,I don't evolve the pkmn.

About natures,I care about them but not that much...I mean,I don't like to have a pkmn with a high attack with a Timid nature,or any other attack crippling nature...but I don't mind the others.

This also applies to moves.Most people want the best ones[ex Flamethrower,Ice beam] but I prefer the pkmn's signature moves[ex:Muddy water on Palpitoad instea of Surf,or Drill Run on Excadrill instead of Earthquke]...it's more fun this way.

Lt Steel

The Steel Curtain
I pick my pokemon based on their design. Aggron, Flygon, Luxray, they all aren't the BEST pokemon, but if used right they can be really great partners.

TuGaWaR 545

The Orderly Destroye
Because weak pokemon are weak. Who cares if you have a super cute Cindiquil. Play against me with it and I'll stomp it out. Easily.

You can't win with weak pokemon. My favorites just so happen to be strong (or decent) ones (Drapion, Steelix, Lucario, etc, etc, etc). It's fortunate that badass pokemon generally have good stats.

Because weak pokemon are weak. Who cares if you have a super cute Cindiquil. Play against me with it and I'll stomp it out. Easily.

You can't win with weak pokemon. My favorites just so happen to be strong (or decent) ones (Drapion, Steelix, Lucario, etc, etc, etc). It's fortunate that badass pokemon generally have good stats.
Agreed, people who refuse to evolve their pokemon just because it looks cute make me lol. It's why ash still hasn't won a tournament after all these years

1.They suck and fail so hard that, they can't win with any other pokemon and feel forced to use them.
2.Because they don't care if they're all ugly, they just wanna win and that's it.
3.Because most people use them, so they gotta use them too.
4.They're little kids that go like, omg tyranitar! it strung! me liek metacross too! someone beat me withe one! it strong! i gotta have one on may team! -.-btw.. let's hope this thread doesn't get locked, the staff are quite terrible here on serebii. just to let you know.

Omg My sides hurt, is this fool serious?

Owl

G-Rank Hunter
'Cause without Pokemon as powerful as my Dunsparce, how would I progress on my Journey?

Gloryus

Where's Wally?
For me personally, I use my favourites in-game because it's simply more fun that way and if they're strong, then they're strong and likewise if they are weaker/weak. The way I see it is that there are 649 Pokémon and you shouldn't limit yourself to just the strong ones imo.

Nacreous

Fire trainer
The unevolved ones could be strong with the right strategy.We have Eviolite now...I don't see what's the prob.

Navarch

All Pokemon are strong. They are all different, so they are strong in different ways. Bibarel can sweep teams, and I've seen it. Jynx is a great Special Sweeper. Each Pokemon is unique with it's own capabilities.

Scaldaver

Limitless
Depends if I do competitive battling or not. If so, I would evolve everything - though I also suppose that my favourite Pokemon are fully evolved (except perhaps Trapinch...).

Sietse23

*Brainfarts*
5 posts from the same person here...

I like to use ''strong Pokemon'' as I'm a competive battler, but everybody can use the pokemon they like in-game, as you can beat that with fairly weak pokemon.