• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do people only pick strong pokemon?

Dawn and Piplup

Piplup+Pikachu Fan
I agree with you. I always pick the pokemon I like and I don't judge by strength. I have won a lot of battles with my Piplup (even defeated Cynthia and Maylene).
I also have fun with natures, aren't that picky with EV's (although I might give my pokemon a calcium or attach the Power something to him to improve it) and I don't evolve that many of my pokemon. I play the game with the pokemon I like and treat them kindly. I don't just care about winning and in a way I feel closer to them.

Ohitsdylan

Well for some people (like me) strong pokemon become their favorite.. I like power : P

Dragonitor

<- Shiny Hunter
I never Ev Trained and although I'm not that picky about natures I don't want a nature on a Pokémon that hinders it. (An Sp. Att. lowering nature for a Pokémon that mainly uses Special Attacks.) As I make a team I usually first look at what types would be handy to have to beat the E4. Then I look if there's a Pokémon I like of that type. (Which isn't hard since I like almost every Pokémon.) So you can pretty much say I play for fun and that I don't care much about Natures and EV's and that I actually always use favorites since almost any Pokémon is my favorite. XD

I never realized so many people refused to evolve their pokemon, I thought only the mentally challenged kids on the Anime did that. And if I get banned for calling fictional characters mentally challenged than the mods need to get their priorities straight.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I just like power and i hate wimpy looking pokemon

To each their own, I guess.

But what if a wimpy-looking Pokémon is actually really powerful? Unless, of course, none of the Pokémon you think are wimpy-looking are powerful.

Donesparce

Professional Loser
I use Pokemon I like, and sometimes I like Pokemon for being strong. Like Krookodile. I picked him up in Black because Sandile looks cool and I soon found out it was one of the strongest in game pokes I've ever used. Good attack, good coverage, and Moxie allowed it to tear through everything.

But sometimes I like less stereotypically strong pokemon. I just got my Munchlax to level 100. While its stats are nothing special, in game it's very good. It's bulky and has a decent movepool with decent attack. It also has pickup for getting random items.

Nearly any Pokemon can be used in game, mostly due to differences between battling AI and real people. I think that anyone bashing someone for Pokemon choices is out of line with the point of the game. Use strong Pokemon. Use weak Pokemon. I don't care.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
I use Pokemon I like, and sometimes I like Pokemon for being strong. Like Krookodile. I picked him up in Black because Sandile looks cool and I soon found out it was one of the strongest in game pokes I've ever used. Good attack, good coverage, and Moxie allowed it to tear through everything.

But sometimes I like less stereotypically strong pokemon. I just got my Munchlax to level 100. While its stats are nothing special, in game it's very good. It's bulky and has a decent movepool with decent attack. It also has pickup for getting random items.

Nearly any Pokemon can be used in game, mostly due to differences between battling AI and real people. I think that anyone bashing someone for Pokemon choices is out of line with the point of the game. Use strong Pokemon. Use weak Pokemon. I don't care.

I love that feeling of being able to sweep opponents (at least in-game) with a really stereotypically-weak Pokémon. Gives that sense of inner satisfaction. :)

actually my wimpy i mean small and stupid like cleffa and keldeo

Keldeo's awesome! I find it really cool-looking.
Cleffa, on the other hand, is neither cute nor powerful in my opinion. But still, to be able to use a Cleffa and completely dominate against in-game opponents is nothing to scoff at.

Temporal Lizardo

PKMN Ranger
I always go for the ones that look cool IMHO, which tend to be strong. Which means I have Zangoose and Torterra on my team...but also Dunsparce.
Yes. Dunsparce.

Furret63

Shiny Hunter
I use Pokémon that are considered weak by most, and Stat train (Gen I and II EV training equivalent) them properly. I always have a Normal-type only team, just because it's my favourite type. I'm very much into stats and movesets, because what's the point of having a fire-type with two damaging fire moves? There isn't one. So, whilst I only use my favourites, I train them to their full potential.

Truly Deceptive

It is I: ME!
Many Trainers prefer ones which they deem to be stronger because their battling capability is appealing to them; that having been said, even with such "strong" evolved Pokémon, there still is no "greatest" amongst them, and something which is awesome about the game is that you can choose which ones you want to use, and not care whether or not they are more or less competitively apt in some areas than other (evolved) alternatives.

Valkneer

Wandering Trainer
I pick Pokemon which I like for my team :L

destinydude000

The Awesome Dude
I mean, isn't it also fun to pick your favorites in your team? It seems everyone is so concerned about evolving pokemon and whatnot. What if you like the pre evolution better?

I've had many people message me saying that its stupid that I have three fire pokemon in my team and that I should have evolved my cyndaquil and pikachu. *pokes trainer card*. I tell them its true skill to win with your favorites. Who cares if I have a level 100 Cyndaquil right? xD Also I feel like its more original because everyone who picks cyndaquil as their starter pretty much evolves it. Its rare to see a level 100 cyndaquil like mine.

Does anyone else actually not worry about EV's, have fun with natures instead of being picky about them because it effects their stats, and doesn't evolve their pokemon in their /main/ team?

Yeah you're right.
But not mentioning power,
Doesn't a thyphlosion look any cooler and awesomer(!)???

☭Secret_Shocker☭

Because they're strong? Or that some people just can't hack with other pokemon.

Pippi

Cool
Well, maybe because most people prefer to win in their matches rather than use the things they like. Or maybe they do like the strong Pokémon.

AmusedMilk

Oh, hey, Big Zam!
Being strong is just one of the reasons I like them. I also like Metagross for being a psychic spider walker. Can't mess with that.

Räven Velish

black lives matter
I totally agree with you. I like the natures fine, whatever they are, I actually feel it gives them a personality(lol). And I don't care about EV's or IV's or OV's or absolutely any of that cr*p. For the evolving Pokemon thing, I do what you do. I am using a Lv.100 Pichu
in SoulSilver. And I have a LV. 100 Grovyle on Emerald. Spheal with it.

BIGJRA

Catchin' Em All
Well, I always just go through the game trying to win, and I'm not gonna let evolution stand in my way. But not evolving the Pikachu could be smart because of it's moves.

EonDragonFTW

"Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is the Perception of selfish People"
Can't remember who said that, but it's a great quote from Soulsilver.
Pokemon are just pokemon, creatures like you and me and everyone has their own ideals when it comes to training them. You have to face the truth that not everyone fully evolves their pokes like you do (for the sake of their favorites) and some people raise them as partners valuable and reliable to them as battle. It all depends on your cup of tea when it comes to Pokemon.