• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do people think Ash lost his personality in Sinnoh?

I wouldn't have a big problem with Ash being the way he is if they stated that he is growing in age. I mean, I don't care how much he has experienced, no 10-year-old acts like that, and is so determined to reach their goals at that age. I know it's a fantasy, and it's not supposed to be realistic, but come on! His lack of 10-year-old child's common characteristics is more or less disturbing to me, it's not fun to watch..

Agreed completely with you so much! This is my main issue as well-- it's also why I can't stand Sarah Natochenny's performance as Ash, for that matter: NO 10 year old boy I've heard has the voice of a 17 year old chain smoker...

Last edited:

The Power of Pika

Way Past Cool!!
I think the reason some people say DP Ash lost his personality is probably because DP used a style of writing that required a bit of understanding of the style to enjoy. There are cartoon writing styles out there that are like that.

It's usually a case where a person can't connect due to the style not meeting the taste of the person and thus they either get an odd impression of the character or they don't see any personality at all or find them boring or bland.
Everyone has different tastes so not all styles and writing direction is going to appeal to everyone.

I've been reading around multiple cartoon forums trying to work out the reason and that's what I've discovered.

I actually even discovered a type of cartoon style that actually big in europe and Australia but doesn't appeal to America due to culture as well and visa versa.
Though that's off topic.

Cartoons, writing and voice acting are like art and sometimes like art there are styles that some can't grasp the direction the characterisation is going due to either tastes of the individual or not being familiar with said style.

It's very complex on why this happens but it's quite fascinating to study.

For me personally Sinnoh Ash has a personality. A caring, passionate and helpful personality and I watch the dub. He's willing to learn and takes what he learns and puts it to action. I like that in a character because he's quite resourceful. I'm very familiar with the style so it was very easy to follow for me.=)

Last edited:

Navin

MALDREAD
You're wrong on his age-- proof?

That's not what I was saying - I wasn't saying Ash wasn't 10 in DP. I was agreeing with Melody in that I always got the impression that Ash was just getting older and it definitely felt that way because his DP self was more mature than his OS self. Like I said, I know he is always 10, but it didn't feel that way at all in DP. And actually if you read what I wrote next, I acknowledge that his constant age is a factor in why his character has suffered issues in the 800+ episode span.

(And on a side note let's face it, the characters in the anime act years older than 10-year-olds. Actual 10-year-olds wouldn't be able to be that autonomous and goal-oriented.)

I never said they were-- note the rest of that entire statement that you failed to account for. Good, because you clearly don't have a response to it.

Huh?

I agree on the issue being that overall. Being mature =/= losing your personality and most of your viable emotion: like it or not, he was still 10 in DP. It's a fact! I agree that battling and training are important, but NOT to the extent where they should overshadow the characters' enthusiasm, energy, and mannerisms-- that is the problem here.

Dwail, read what I wrote again. I literally acknowledge the fact that he's 10 but explain what DP did well to develop him despite that limiting factor.

But they are tied hand to hand. Ash's character growth is intrinsically tied to his growth as a Pokemon trainer. How Ash acts towards his Pokemon and trains them and battles is a reflection of his character, and in DP, Ash certainly had a lot of passion and energy for it. Look, I have said it too in other threads - the execution of DP Ash was certainly off at times. This is a problem in this show - they often come up short and lose opportunities to showcase a character's personality. But y'know, I liked how he bonded with Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape, I liked his emotional rivalry with Paul, and I liked how he made time for Dawn to help her out and was vested to see her succeed.

Gurk

I think it's also important to realize that some people watch Pokemon for the pokemon battles, others watch it for the story and interaction between trainers, and pokemon. People who are more interested in the battling department of the anime, probably see Sinnoh Ash more interesting than Kanto Ash who was a total dimwit when it came to battling.

One is more emotional and comedic, the other is, well, whatever The Power of Pika said. Caring, passionate, helpful. Though even Kanto Ash was all that, WHILST being funny. But yeah.

That's not what I was saying - I wasn't saying Ash wasn't 10 in DP. I was agreeing with Melody in that I always got the impression that Ash was just getting older and it definitely felt that way because his DP self was more mature than his OS self. Like I said, I know he is always 10, but it didn't feel that way at all in DP. And actually if you read what I wrote next, I acknowledge that his constant age is a factor in why his character has suffered issues in the 800+ episode span.

(And on a side note let's face it, the characters in the anime act years older than 10-year-olds. Actual 10-year-olds wouldn't be able to be that autonomous and goal-oriented.)

Huh?

Dwail, read what I wrote again. I literally acknowledge the fact that he's 10 but explain what DP did well to develop him despite that limiting factor.

But they are tied hand to hand. Ash's character growth is intrinsically tied to his growth as a Pokemon trainer. How Ash acts towards his Pokemon and trains them and battles is a reflection of his character, and in DP, Ash certainly had a lot of passion and energy for it. Look, I have said it too in other threads - the execution of DP Ash was certainly off. This is a problem in this show - they often come up short and lose opportunities to showcase a character's personality. But y'know, I liked how he bonded with Chimchar/Monferno/Infernape, I liked his emotional rivalry with Paul, and I liked how he made time for Dawn to help her out and was vested to see her succeed.

I definitely did NOT feel he was more mature than his OS self: I felt he was bland and stiff as paint that whole saga, and didn't change whatsoever from start to finish. It always felt that way to me, especially when he argued with Dawn, and when he whined about losing to Paul. Then, I happen to agree with you on that account.

(No, no they don't: Brock is 15 years old, by the way.)

My point exactly.

In battling and training lessons, I agree with you guys: in everything else, I completely disagree with you guys.

No, it's not: it's only one part of what makes the character, and it should NEVER encompass his whole being. I respect that, but I'm saying I'm one that did not like the way the character's execution was carried out: perhaps there was potential, but it never sufficed for me. I definitely think AG Ash pulled off the more mature Ash a lot better than DP Ash, especially since he kept some of that trademark goofiness and sympathy for others besides Pokemon that I had always been very fond of. Neither Ash is my favorite Ash incarnation, though: that will always be OS Ash to me.

I think it's also important to realize that some people watch Pokemon for the pokemon battles, others watch it for the story and interaction between trainers, and pokemon. People who are more interested in the battling department of the anime, probably see Sinnoh Ash more interesting than Kanto Ash who was a total dimwit when it came to battling.

One is more emotional and comedic, the other is, well, whatever The Power of Pika said. Caring, passionate, helpful. Though even Kanto Ash was all that, WHILST being funny. But yeah.

That's the perfect way to put it, barring the "caring" part: I definitely felt OS Ash was more caring than DP Ash (see: M03, "Mewtwo Returns"). The rest, however, I agree with wholeheartedly: I watch more for the story and interactions between trainer as well as Pokemon, so it makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

Benny™

Best Wishes Do Come True Under The Sun & Moon
Ash has never really come off as "mature" to me, I know younger people that act more mature than he does.

Vernikova

Champion
I liked him back then. I enjoy AG and DP Ash much more than his OS personality. I guess people didn't like that DP was very set on battling more so than any other series which might've displayed one side of his personality more than others.

charizardfan

Dwail8023 said:
Well, congrats, because you're wrong there and that's not the only time Ash does it in AG: go ahead and watch "A Tail with a Twist" to refresh your memory there if you don't believe me where Ash shows remorse for Treecko yet again. Similarly, it hurts my ability to perceive growth in DP Ash when he starts off the flat, bland character he did and ended up the same way as he started in the beginning.
Yeah, that has nothing to do with what I was talking about. I was talking about Ash’s arrogance (y’know, the entire reason he underestimated Brawly in the first place?) and how he supposedly grew past it... only to end up making the same mistake again and again, and having to learn to same lesson again and again. As far as I'm concerned, that’s the mark of a truly bland and repetitive character. No amount of acting like a idiotic brat (that you call "genuine emotion") really changes the problems with Ash in AG.

NO trainer can make a Magikarp THAT strong in the games-- that's my point.
Then your point is terrible. The anime has never followed the rules of the games to the letter.

Oh, I have proof: ANY Pikachu that can take down a LEGENDARY Pokemon like Regice should MORE than easily take down a BASIC Pokemon like an Elekid-- Paul is WEAKER than Brandon as we saw in "A Pyramiding Rage!" and Ash DEFEATED the same guy at the end of Battle Frontier: plain as day, he's been reset.
Paul fought Brandon once, Ash fought Brandon three times. Paul fought Brandon in a full, 6-on-6 battle with substitutions allowed on both sides. Ash fought Brandon in a 4-on-4 battle where only Ash substituted his Pokemon. Ash faced one of the Regis, Paul faced all three. Electabuzz lost to Regirock, Pikachu defeated a newly-caught Regice. Ash never defeated Regirock and Registeel. Paul had allowed his emotions to overcome his better judgement in battle, and essentially screwed himself over halfway through (this is pointed out when Ash wonders why Paul wouldn’t recall Ursaring). The context around the two battles is completely different. No, that’s not proof of a reset.

Sorry: I've made my point, and that's that.
It’s a point backed up by some very terrible logic.

DP Ash was also overconfident, too: I didn't like it.
DP’s Ash actually took Gym Leaders seriously and planned ahead of time to fight them whenever possible. He put far more thought into his battles than AG’s Ash put into fighting Brawly.

Static in AG? lol, no, I don't see that.
Yes. When you don’t act like any of the lessons you’ve learned truly mean anything because you continue to make the same mistakes, you’re a static character. It’s no different than any given episode of The Simpsons, where no matter what Homer learns about being more considerate to his wife or his children it’s a given that he’ll revert back to where he started by the time of the next episode.

True on Brandon, but he WON that battle and that's what really counts. Did Ash win the Sinnoh League? Nooooooooooo!
DP Ash didn’t have the luxury of challenging Tobias three times before being able to win. We’ve been over this before.

If anything, he stayed static in DP more than in AG.
DP’s Ash wasn’t forced to learn to deal with his arrogance time and again and actually tended to remember the lessons that he'd learned in Sinnoh.

That's precisely why I disliked the DP Saga in general: the battling aspects of Pokemon were focused on too much, as were Ash and Dawn's growth as trainers, at the cost of others-- as a result, this took away from Brock and Team Rocket's development, making them flanderized and hitting low points they had never hit in the OS or AG.
Exactly what character development were Brock and Team Rocket getting in AG?

Additionally, Ash lost the genuine emotion and much of his rash stubbornness that previously defined his character, and that was something I didn't like.
“Genuine emotion” is so subjective a term that I’ve been avoiding talking about it. At this point, it’s becoming clear to me that any examples I give opposite to this is going to be ignored by you in some flimsy excuse as to why you didn’t like the execution or something. Suffice it to say I find DP Ash to be far more well-rounded of a character who can balance his sillier, flawed side with something actually suggesting competence and maturity.

I can admit he took BATTLING lessons to heart like that, but NOT how to improve his character-- just his training skills.
Character development is tied to one’s journey, you don’t separate one from the other. That’s not how it works for anybody, in any fictional work I’ve seen.

Agreed on Brock being the main problem there: no, it's not selfish as Ash was not confident in his own abilities as a trainer at times needing to improve to win his battles, and besides that he did attend some of May's contests as well-- he balanced it out, and that's why I don't mind.
If there’s nothing selfish about not supporting a friend of yours, then there’s nothing selfish about DP Ash and Brock’s interactions either.

Again, all for Pokemon, and no-- I did not say what you quoted: you took the post before I edited it last night, if you must know, before your last post as well-- nice try, but it doesn't work.
Your post is still wrong, then. DP090 wasn’t Ash putting his life on the line “some Pokemon”, which is a stupid statement in and of itself considering the importance people place on Pokemon on this show anyway.

chalkus

Ash in DP is still 10 but his past experiences have not been retconned, at least not yet. DP was the culmination of Ash's character arc since OS. In DP we finally see Ash performing in battles like we should expect him to after entering his fourth regional league. The writers accommodated this by making his character more mature and more goal oriented. They also made him a lot more level headed in his interactions with people, especially with his companions. Ash and Dawn are arguably much closer friends than he was with May or even Misty. He was even more open to change. Look how he incorporated Dawn's moves like the spin move, ice aqua jet, using contest moves in battles and the counter shield. He never would have listened to May's or Max's battling advice in AG. He didn't even go to most of May's contests unlike he did for Dawn, where he even participated to help calm her nerves. Ash clearly learnt from his mistakes in previous leagues, which I always thought was a good thing. Characters should grow, not remain stagnant. Why would Ash acting in Sinnoh exactly as he was in Kanto be a good thing. I applaud the writers for doing that.

And again, it amazes me that the same people who criticize how Ash was portrayed in DP are the ones who complain the most about how he was in BW despite the fact that those personalities were polar opposites. Ash acted more like he was in Kanto in Unova, so what was the problem? This battle borg stuff is a garbage complaint that's not worth listening to. Unfortunately, I think the writers did, hence Best Wishes.

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I guess people didn't like that DP was very set on battling more so than any other series which might've displayed one side of his personality more than others.

He had a one-track mind, but it didn't necessarily bother me since at least it showed how focused he was. However, that's the only praise I can give him. DP Ash was like AG Ash to me and since I barely cared for the latter, I also didn't care much for the former.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos

Well personally, I think Ash's journey in Kanto is just as entertaining in a different way. Generally heartwarming, and has some of funniest scenes & dialogue of the series.

But it did fail in the battling department, and not necessarily for Ash. Ash being new is fine, but some of the early battles in this show either had weird discrepancies, or were outright boring. Later generations of course would start applying more in-game tactics, abilities and original strategies, on top of the art/animation getting better with time.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
W
But it did fail in the battling department, and not necessarily for Ash. Ash being new is fine, but some of the early battles in this show either had weird discrepancies, or were outright boring. Later generations of course would start applying more in-game tactics, abilities and original strategies, on top of the art/animation getting better with time.

To be fair most battles in kanto were like 2-3 minutes long and extremely brief, not just for Ash but for everyone.

Just take a look at Misty and Brock's battles back then too, they consisted of almost nothing but using one attack and most of Misty's battles are just Psyduck popping out.

As much as Johto was plagued with filler, it did start to improve the battles from the show.

BlueDragonfangirl

I thought he was fine in the D / P series, may have not been as funny as he was in the previous series but that's cuz he was getting more serious as a trainer, his rivalry with Paul pushed him to the edge too. If any thing I'd say the D / P series was Ash most emotional roller coaster ride yet, gets depressed from loosing badly in a six on six Pokemon battle with Paul, to ticked whenever facing off against Hunter J. Matter of fact, I'd say D / P Ash is my favorite with AG Ash in second.

I adore Ash still but I'd say he took a dive in BW series, he just seems too happy all the time now and doesn't get annoyed with any one. You never once saw him stand up to Iris when a lot of times he should have like he did with his rivals in the past or Misty back in Kanto to Johto, he even stood his ground against May in AG and Dawn. Why not Iris? Of all people he should have against her.

Like I said, I still love the guy but in the newer shows that's what I'd say is a big flaw right now. I like X and Y Ash a lot :)

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I adore Ash still but I'd say he took a dive in BW series, he just seems too happy all the time now and doesn't get annoyed with any one. You never once saw him stand up to Iris when a lot of times he should have like he did with his rivals in the past or Misty back in Kanto to Johto, he even stood his ground against May in AG and Dawn. Why not Iris? Of all people he should have against her.
Lol, stand up to Iris. You act as if Iris burned his badges and poisoned his Pokemon. You can't advocate for one character while burning another at the stake, that makes the whole "Ash is this poor, poor, hated baby by the majority of the fandom." argument a hard sell. "Stood his ground against May and Dawn" is every female character that goes against Ash at some point going to be considered a bully? What did Misty do? He got into childish scraps with her, yet you want him to act like that even though you say he was "mature."

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
He would be repetitive for anyone who has followed the show from Kanto but for the little kids just watching the show to be the first time, he is something to be admired.

But then to little kids a new male hero won't make a difference, because they have no clue Ash has been around for 17 years. They change the female companion 5 times, just like we have to get used to a new female companion every series, I'm not sure why we can't have a new male hero.

DP especially felt like it was intended to be Ash's final saga. The writers even set up the whole Sinnoh Elite 4 and Champion league. Had the writers allowed Ash to win the league and then challenge the Elite 4 and Cynthia it would have been the perfect sendoff for his character. All BW did is regress him and XY is just kind of fixing the damage but it makes no difference.

chalkus

But then to little kids a new male hero won't make a difference, because they have no clue Ash has been around for 17 years. They change the female companion 5 times, just like we have to get used to a new female companion every series, I'm not sure why we can't have a new male hero.

DP especially felt like it was intended to be Ash's final saga. The writers even set up the whole Sinnoh Elite 4 and Champion league. Had the writers allowed Ash to win the league and then challenge the Elite 4 and Cynthia it would have been the perfect sendoff for his character. All BW did is regress him and XY is just kind of fixing the damage but it makes no difference.

Because as long as Ash is around the anime will continue to have a nostalgic factor with older fans. Plus Ash is an iconic anime figure. Kind of like how Goku is to Dragonball Z or Serena/Usagi is to Sailor Moon. Could you imagine those shows without their main leads? Would they be as popular?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Because as long as Ash is around the anime will continue to have a nostalgic factor with older fans. Plus Ash is an iconic anime figure. Kind of like how Goku is to Dragonball Z or Serena/Usagi is to Sailor Moon. Could you imagine those shows without their main leads? Would they be as popular?

What? The Pokemon series is about the Pokemon. The games and manga always go with new protagonists every gen. The anime isn't called, "The adventures of Ash," its called Pokemon. He's obviously stayed this long because of Pikachu but after nearly 20 years its time for the series to move on. I'd wager 75% of the people who watched Kanto in 1998 aren't even watching the anime anymore, so I don't see how nostalgia is helping.

pokemon fan 132

Personally i do not think Ash lost personality in Sinnoh.

Ash was stil to me well Ash, same character i followed in Kanto, Orange, Johto, Hoenn etc.

He seemed more mature, firm in his beliefs and critic toward himself. Which was displayed in passionately defending his views of how pokemon should be raised when confronting Paul. Became more open minded in starting to reconsider developing new strategies taking up some ideas from others like Dawn contest moves, leading to born of all that famous counter shield.

Ash still showed plenty of characterization, funny moments and what i found quite touching scenes in Sinnoh. He was still stubborn and naive , was rash and impatient in battling others leading to his quick loses as evidenced when E4 Bertha warned him over not being observant enough or when his emotions taking best out if him in crushing defest vs Paul, He was still laidback and clueless person which hot into clash with Dawn, Angie, Barry etc.

Showed to have big appetite and impulsive behavior backed by emotional selfless and caring side of him. When he tried to earn Chimchar thrust, worked with Gligar not allowing him to have easy shortcomings to evolve without hard wok(as showed when Gary offered his razor fang, or spending whole night in bonding and training his pokemon like Buizel working like a pair.

Accordingly to that he supported and tried to comfort others like Dawn after their loses, showed care and concern for friends, got easily bored with girly and fashion stuff like he always tended to do when being in company with previous girls etc.

Now i liked Ash a lot in Hoenn too when he was more selfreliant and knowledgeable showing bigger abilitry to take care of himself, take up role of mentor to May helping her in training and preparing for contests. Coming to realization how he should stop relying on his older pokemon starting from scratch to go far through his own efforts and hard work with new pokemon.

I enjoyed in Ash a lot in his performance in original series when he was highly hotheaded, stubborn to the point of thinking he knows best not listening to anyone advice. Got cocky and overconfident at times as trainer with glory quickly hitting him in head just to be grounded real fast after quick defeats taking loses humbly wanting to improve. And lot of care compassion and devoted nature he expressed toward pokemon and his friends.

He used to be more sarcastic and brash as well, but way i look at it that kind of attitude can also be assigned to companions which surround him. For example such type of behavior Ash showed the most when Misty was atound, because her temperament, sarcastic remarks and adventurous, passionate nature in criticizing him, not letting that fame takes best of him bringing common sense and cause admiration and same spirited nature in trying to prove her wrong.

Having counterweight which teached him how to be more humble and down to earth, challenged his ego and rude nature and have him develop appreciation and care toward his friends because of having someone who pointed out his flaws, gave him motivation and somesort of challenge in working harder.

And with Misty leaving with no other character questioning his motives and giving him inducement for such reactions, its to understand how with different people and characterization, Ash relationship with them also changed because of that.

Now dont get me wrong at times i do felt how Ash lacked abit more deoth and higher diapason of emotions ti display during course of DP seeries, with things feeling static sometime.

But what i appreciated and liked about Ash character in Sinnoh was that he seemed more experienced, levelheaded as person and stronger as trainer feeling like his long travels, many close friends he made and obstacles he had to face and overcome under others guidance(in OS Misty and Brock), or coming to better understand his pokemon and starting to pass what he learned to others(like May) had left effect on his behavior and personality. Growing up and starting to act closer to how teenager if Ash ever aged to that stage would act. Which seemed rewarding to me as viewer.

That doesn't mean Ash personality and characterization "faded away", or that "his potential run its course". It was just natural way of growing Ash character up maturing and becoming more evolved as person changing perception on world around itself, pokemon and people he meets.

Lot of time maturity and personality growth is viewed as "bad thing", not being recognized and appreciated how change in protagonist characterization is needed. To make for compelling and relatable character, who will show new quirks, behavior and dimension to his personality as time passes on(personality traits, passions and different kind of demeanor we as viewer werent saware of how they exist within character until they got explored and brought up on surface fleshing out someone personality more. Directly giving out impression how character your following has learned something during all this years, that various encounters with other powerful trainers, older more knowledgeable people, various relationshiop which confronted Ash personality and beliefvs have left mark on him. Changing as trainer and person evolving because of that and preventing stagnation.

This is what happens when you take a character who was only intended to be around for 2-3 years and extend him for over 800+ episodes.

Its obvious almost all the OS characters fared the worse the longer the writers kept them in the series. I will agree Misty fared better than Brock or TR and that's likely because she didn't continue past Johto like they did.

Not sure if your familiar with other long running shows like Naruto, One Piece, Fairy Tale, Baccano etc. But they keep same characters for hundreds of episodes as well.

For example creator for One Piece manga Eiichiro Oda originally planned that seeies last for 5 years concluding character stories. Luffy, Nami, Zorro, Robin etc were originally designed to last for only 5 years. BUt mr. Oda find himsekf to enjoy too muzch in pirate adventure he wrote for,m main characters he created and grew to like wanting to continue his work and make them last for longer than its planned.
And now more than 17 years later One Piece still has exact same characters introduced in 1997, alongside new ones which joined crew later over the years increasing size of main group.

And what this shows can teach us when talking about Pokemon and main characters like Ash lasting for hujdreds of episodes?
How you can refresh older characters through new designs, pokemon, subplots and actually do sequel/build up to already established storyline bringing new angle to it. Which means more continuity, better developed character and stable cast which goes through deeper growth.

Something which is heavily appreciated among fans than endless character replacing which brings nothing new aside from face in reality, being pointless to invest in them anyway when we already know they'll leave in 3, 4 years unfinished never to be seen again.

I also asm interested to see how did Misty became worse for being in anime for 5 years? Or how Brock stay for Hoenn made him woirse(not counting DP)? Let alone ASh?

All of this characters you brought up by end of Original series and onwards like Hoenn felt like they grew and developed over time. Came closer toward achievement of their dreams and developed new sides to their characterization overcoming their struggles becoming more substantial. While keeping their fun sides and core. Things which defined them and made interesting bringing more depoth to personality. Especially in Misty or Ash case by time Hoenn started.

I also think Misty would have heavily benefit from stay in Hoenn. It has so much water based themes. Champions like Wallace and powerful water trainers like Juan, villains like Team Aqua which used water pokemon for malefic purposes centered around legendary Kyogre, possible expansion from Whirl Cup entering tournamentds which would advance her water master career, even 9th movie about Manaphy offered so much potential to develop her character more.

But to each their own i guess.

What? The Pokemon series is about the Pokemon. The games and manga always go with new protagonists every gen. The anime isn't called, "The adventures of Ash," its called Pokemon. He's obviously stayed this long because of Pikachu but after nearly 20 years its time for the series to move on. I'd wager 75% of the people who watched Kanto in 1998 aren't even watching the anime anymore, so I don't see how nostalgia is helping.

At this point it might be called that. Because Ash has became so much integral and iconic for pokemon series after 17 years that there would really be no point in replacing him for someone else. It has passed too many years to attempt that without risking long term consequences reflecting negatively on pokemon popularity and reputation whuch is already bad enough. No point in furthering problems even more.

Beside i like Ash, feel he has potential mto be done more with his story and would like that anime ends with him and all travel companions he gained over the years. Leading toward some grand finale where we get insight in each past main character lives, see them progress toward achieving their dreams and getting their 10 minutes of glory. With no new series made after that.

I mean everything has to come to an end eventually and i do not see point in new pokemon anime being made.