• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do so many people dislike D/P/Pt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necro101

Firstly, I think that people did not like it because of how slow past it was. Personally I loved gen IV . It was my favourite generation after generation III. Back to topic. Secondly, I have read complaints about how the motive of team Galactic was unclear. I agreed with the people at first but when I played Platinum it all made sense (and when I replayed Diamond and read the text...). Thirdly, people also disliked the fact that allot of the good Pokemon where not available after you had beaten the league and that there was lack of fire type, electric type and water type before the League. (I don't know if that is true and if it was just some 7 years old kid who had written a complain about that) Fourthly, the caves in DPP where torture... Too much Zubat's!!! The caves where long, and they had millions of Zubat's. Enough said! Theres are the only reasons I know of why people hated DPP.
In conclusion, I only wrote what I have seen people complain about in the past and I really like the DPP so I don't know why so much people hated it. (I will read other post after this to read other reasons.)

RAWK ON

Edit: The end of the post is weird, but I don't know how to write to make it make sense.)

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Firstly, I think that people did not like it because of how slow past it was.

WTF does this even mean?

Thirdly, people also disliked the fact that allot of the good Pokemon where not available after you had beaten the league

Maybe for DP, but definitely not for Platinum, you had plenty of good Pokemon to play around with. The only games where I would even dare make this claim would be RSE, and even then, it could still possibly be refuted.

and that there was lack of fire type, electric type and water type before the League. (I don't know if that is true and if it was just some 7 years old kid who had written a complain about that)

Again, that's true of DP, which only had 2 Fire types (one of which was the starter), 3 Electric types, and 2 Ice types (Water types were fine, it was Ice that was lacking), but Platinum also corrected this by giving those types better variety. Fire type got 3 new Pokemon, Electric got 2, and Ice got 3.

Fourthly, the caves in DPP where torture... Too much Zubat's!!! The caves where long, and they had millions of Zubat's. Enough said!

Now this sounds like a nitpick if I ever heard one. None of the dungeons in this game were unreasonably long at all. Zubat spam is a bit more understandable, but this isn't the only game you could make that complaint for.

Last edited:

Champion Cynthia108

Sinnoh's Champion
It's just how slow it i for me. Saving takes ages, plus the story starts off kind of slow

Nephilim

Muffin Button Master
It's just how slow it i for me. Saving takes ages, plus the story starts off kind of slow

I agree completely. And also for me this is where the Pokemon games started their downfall. I loved gen 1-3 like crazy, but gen 4 was merely "okay" with gen5 being pretty mediocre to me.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I agree completely. And also for me this is where the Pokemon games started their downfall. I loved gen 1-3 like crazy, but gen 4 was merely "okay" with gen5 being pretty mediocre to me.

This is entirely subjective. What about Gen 4 did you find "okay" and what about Gen 5 was "mediocre"?

HRRlion

2795 4358 7025
The slowness was a huge issue for me, as others have said. The whole game seems to drag on and on, even during the fast moments. That and poor pokemon distribution. Im looking at you fire types. That said, I dont hate d/p/pt, i just get annoyed by it.

EmphaticPikachu

A tired little girl~
I didn't even realize that so many people hated DPPT until I started hanging around here again. I was here when I was playing through RSE (which was actually while the 4th gen was out - late to the party), but by the time I got a DS and started playing through the 4th gen, I wasn't spending much time here, so I didn't see the feedback. I've only started posting here again recently, while playing White (still late to the party), and so only discovered recently that people hate DPPT.

I quite liked them myself. I expected some issues, since they were the first games after the physical/special split. The dex is a bit limited and skewed, but it's playable enough, and the region is great. And Dawn is awesome. I liked most of the new pokemon, and some of them are among my all time favorites. And Dawn is awesome. Yeah - the combat is a bit slow, particularly waiting for the weather condition to display, then for the game to tell you what the weather condition that's displaying is, and some of the caves in particular are a bit too long and tortuous, but they're still pretty good games. And Dawn is awesome. To their credit, the starters are among the best ever - they all have solid multi-type evolutions and they each fill a particular niche well, so they make for quite a bit of variety and they're actually mostly viable late in the game, which is something that can't be said about many of the starters from other gens. And Dawn is awesome.

I dunno... As with so many such things, I presume that much of the hate for DPPt springs from the same source as much internet hate in general - people just desperately trying to compensate for their own insecurities and maybe manage to fit in with a peer group by hating the same things the peer group hates, whether that's DPPT or Naruto or Call of Duty or Republicans or...

And Dawn is awesome.

You know, I couldn't love this post anymore then I honestly could. Its just that awesome. I'd like it a hundred times if I could...XD

As for the hate, I'd say its slow. Thats the main gist of it.
And comparative to gen 5, theres nothing that really blasted as NEW, since From what I remember gen 4 was supposed to feel like it encompassed all of the regions. (I thought they did a pretty good job...especially in Platinum.) And quite a bit of pokemon were evolutions of older pokemon, kind of not screaming "Originality" I guess. It felt like it wasn't new, what with the lack of fast paseidness, and many of the pokemon evolving from older ones. (I freaken say they needed them. >:O...)

Gen 4 made competitive battling possible without simulators D:...

And of course, Dawn is possibly the most awesome female ever to be made/thought of/that has lived on this planet. :D. /killed.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
And comparative to gen 5, theres nothing that really blasted as NEW, since From what I remember gen 4 was supposed to feel like it encompassed all of the regions. (I thought they did a pretty good job...especially in Platinum.) And quite a bit of pokemon were evolutions of older pokemon, kind of not screaming "Originality" I guess. It felt like it wasn't new, what with the lack of fast paseidness, and many of the pokemon evolving from older ones. (I freaken say they needed them. >:O...)

I'd chalk that up to the way Game Freak seems to be pacing each generation. It seems like they've fallen into a pattern of alternating between what I'm calling "reboot generations" and "expansion pack generations". All of the odd numbered generations have been "reboot generations", where they emphasize new features and new Pokemon. Unfortunately, they also ignore some old ones, several important features in the games get completely removed, and there tend to be very few if any new evolutions. Even numbered generations are "expansion pack generations", which emphasizes improving old features. The gameplay is kept mainly the same (although they do put forth a few new ideas, but not as much as reboot generations), and the focus is mainly on improving what we already have. This is especially true in regards to the new Pokemon, which have fewer unique species but a ton of new evolutions.

So yeah, Gen 4 is an expansion pack generation, there's some new stuff there, but it's mainly improving on old stuff. If you keep that in mind, it's easier to appreciate what changes it's brought to the series. The physical/special split was a much needed improvement to the series, many weaker Pokemon got new evolutions that needed. Not much changes to the battling formula, but Wi Fi made Pokemon a truly worldwide game by adding the GTS and Wi Fi battles.

That being said, though, I really am getting tired of the way the generations are being handled and would like to see an end to this pattern, it's bad for the series' development

Scrufox86

I am not sure why people disliked DPPt. I actually like them better than gen 3 because it wasn't mostly water and they had tried to put in icy areas for ice types which is good. The only thing i really disliked about gen 4 was the lack of fire types in Diamon and Pearl. Yes alright Infernape is great but i would've liked some This is what let gen 4 down for me. The addition of not enough new fire types. Having said that it was supposed to be a "cooler" region but it didn't exactly add many more ice types either.

However so many good things like the pokeradar, Mamoswine, Magmortar, Togekiss, underground etc outweigh those issues in favour. And the fact they tried new dual typings that hadn't been done before was good too.

I don't hate it. It's my least favorite, but to me, being my least favorite Pokemon generation is like being my least favorite dollar bill; it's still a really, really good game.

It's my least favorite because the Sinnoh region itself kind of bored me, and I didn't particularly like the Pokemon designs. A lot of them were either boring, or just plain weird. The Sinnoh region just lacked anything to make it very interesting in my eyes. Team Galactic was kind of a joke too. Half the time, they were nothing more than a nuisance and their goal was too over the top.

Once again, loved the games. It's just that out of the five generations, I feel this was indeed the weakest.

Pilpulp

美的
As somone else said, slow.

Not much variety in pokemon for story line teams.

Starters weren't too exciting. (Except for Piplup my favorite pokemon : P)
I mean, compare them to Squirtle, Charmander, & Bulbasaur.

The towns / cities / etc. were extremely plain.

But I think it was the first DS game for pokemon? So you can't complain too much. Also people are complaining now because they've seen how much the game has grown and the expectations get higher. So people look back at this game and think it sucked. Which is true, go back and play D/P/PT right now. Tedious.

Aura Of Twilight

Forever Clueless
I am not sure why people disliked DPPt. I actually like them better than gen 3 because it wasn't mostly water and they had tried to put in icy areas for ice types which is good. The only thing i really disliked about gen 4 was the lack of fire types in Diamon and Pearl. Yes alright Infernape is great but i would've liked some This is what let gen 4 down for me. The addition of not enough new fire types. Having said that it was supposed to be a "cooler" region but it didn't exactly add many more ice types either.

However so many good things like the pokeradar, Mamoswine, Magmortar, Togekiss, underground etc outweigh those issues in favour. And the fact they tried new dual typings that hadn't been done before was good too.

I agree. In my opinon Platinum with an improvement of an already awesome gen of games. Guess people just have different perspectives on Sinnoh.

ChloboShoka

Writer
There seems to be something about threads like these, there always seems to me why so much hate for the last generation before. I think that all generations have their good sides. Knowing you guys in gen 6, people will wonder why there was so much hate for gen 5. When gen 4 was about, people were wondering why so many people hated gen 3. But to be honest I never really noticed any hate in gen 4.

silver_phoenix

Fluffy Pokemon Trainer
I've never hated it, infact I LOVED D/P/Pt!! besides Pokemon Gold Version, I have played Pokemon Diamond and Platinum the most, and have repeatedly enjoyed transfering my pokemon, then restarting the story all over! I even got rewarded on my third rest by my Mesprit being SHINY! o.o

D

Deleted member 298996

Looks like im the only one whos going to tell a good argument about why I hate it.

There are a lot of reasons, idk where to start.

Well, I've grown up with RSE, so I guess that may be a reason why I hate it, just like Gen 1 people hate the other gens. (Well, I like every other gen so I dont think that really matters)

As others have said, this game is slow. The story is boring. Its also very complicated. I had to buy a guide for it, and I didnt have any problem with RSE (maybe thats just me?)

In battles, what changed? I know, the mechanics changed but I mean the battles didnt have anything new. In BW the sprites moves and battles had more vitality. This time the sprites really seem.. uhm... weird? And the battles were slower. I had to turn off the animations because a single battle took ages. And I dont do this to the 3rd gen games. I dont know, maybe its just me again.

The Pokémon... I like a lot of them but I hate ones: The new evolutions. Sorry but I hate how they ****ed cool Pokémon like Magneton. Magneton is one of my favourites Pokémon. Simple. 3 magnets... AND WHY DOES IT EVOLVE TO THAT BIG ROUND THING?
Well, thats something I dont really want to talk bout because everyone has different opinions. I just dont like half the Pokedex being new evolutions.

Talking about the Pokédex, as others have said the distribution of types was pretty bad, but that has been talked a lot.

Another thing. Battle Frointer sucks. Just play Emerald and you will see what im talking about. The new ones are boring. At least they kept the Tower and the Factory.

I think this is the last one: the music. Its a lot less instrumental. For me some of them are a weird combination of sounds (Im looking at you Giratina). I really like the gym leader battle theme though. But themes like the wild battle were kind of boring.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
In battles, what changed? I know, the mechanics changed but I mean the battles didnt have anything new.

What more could you possibly have been expecting besides a change in mechanics?

Talking about the Pokédex, as others have said the distribution of types was pretty bad, but that has been talked a lot.

And as I've said time and time again, THAT'S NOT A PROBLEM WITH PLATINUM, ONLY DP. Platinum's regional dex is everything DP's should've been.

Status
Not open for further replies.