• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do so many people dislike D/P/Pt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sealotic

I don't understand either.
However, I don't like the fact that there is almost no fire type pokemon is this generation.

munchlaxguy

The Rolling Thunder
I only played diamond and never chose imfernape so the fire types never bothered me since you can get ponyta.
I really don't have that many complaints.

It's been years since I've played it. (I'm about to play again soon though.)

I actually really enjoyed it, I never seen any problems. It's hated? I thought the 3rd generation was the hated one.

seancon93

DP has a weak story. It feels lacking.

Platinum remedies that by driving deeper. Introducing Cyrus early, the distortion world, as well as having Palkia and Dialga involved makes the villainous plot seem complete.

I tend to prefer the third game (IE the directors cut). Crystal (Now HGSS), Emerald and Platinum...It's a more complete story and usually has more to do

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I only played diamond and never chose imfernape so the fire types never bothered me since you can get ponyta.
I really don't have that many complaints.

Having only one option for Fire types before you beat the game is not acceptable. What if you didn't like Ponyta? Then what option do you have?

pokesimmo

I'm playing Pearl right now, and while I do find the graphics fantastic and the whole Sinnoh area interesting to explore, I feel as though there is lack of a decent variety of Pokemon (from that region). There is hardly any fire types for example, so I had to pick a Ponyta. Don't get me wrong, I do love the Pokemon from the Kanto era, but, the game itself should be promoting new and different Pokemon, not throwing in the older ones (the majority of my team are Pokemon from older regions).

I'm a big fan of Pokemon Red, first of all because, lets face it, it was the first time we got to experience Pokemon that way, but secondly because that region was unique and had its own Pokemon and adventures etc.

Plus the storyline gets boring and I find myself wanting to play Pokemon FireRed or Sapphire.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
I actually get why people hate D/P/PT. Diamond and Pearl's lack of fire types and slow battle stuff as well as slow surfing would turn people off to the game. The fire Pokemon thing never bothered me, because I can easily go a region without a fire type, but the slowness is what hurt Diamond and Pearl. Thankfully Platinum, my fave game, fixed all that. But even with it's faults I found Diamond and Pearl enjoyable and Platinum became my all time favorite game, and I'm one of those guys who grew up playing Pokemon Red version on the GB. Even with all it's faults I certainly enjoyed them more then Gen 3. I could never get into Hoenn, no matter how hard I tried. It's why I don't care for a remake of RSE or not.

But yeah, I fully understand why Gen 4 gets hate for the slowness and lack of fire types. Neither bother me. I still think Team Galactic are the best. Yes, even over Team Plasma and N. What can I say? I'm a Gen 4 guy.

emogirl

Panda-chan.
I was unaware there was actually hate towards them. Granted when I got them I wasn't the most active in online communities, but I never really heard anything about people thinking they would be stupid games or anything.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
For Arceus' sake people YOU CANNOT USE LACK OF VARIETY TYPES AS AN EXCUSE FOR HATING PLATINUM. Having 4 or 5 Pokemon for each type is a respectable average, you have plenty of options for each type (except Dragon, but that's a rare type anyway). I can respect if you have other reasons for hating Platinum, but lack of variety is not a valid one.

I was very disappointed with the lack of variety in Diamond and Pearl, aswell as the sheer slowness of the battles [I shouldn't have to wait 5 seconds for Intimidate to activate], thankfully Platinum fixed both these issues along with adding many other improvements to the game, making me appreciate Gen 4 more.

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
I just don't care for Sinnoh, Platinum was definitely better then Diamond/Pearl because it fixed the slow battles. I still enjoyed playing D/P/Pt it's just not my favorite in the series another reason is the lack of fire types I was very disappointed about that. Everyone has a least favorite region and for me Sinnoh is that region.

Larry

I wouldn't say that I hate D/P/Pt but I have to say that they are quite boring to me for 2 reasons:

1) I think I've played through these more than any other generation, probably dozens of times.
2) The battle scenes are the slowest things in the world.

Squiddly Dee

∈ (⊙ ⊖ ⊙) ∋
People hate D/P/Pt because they can't stand the slower battle animations. Personally, they never bothered me. Platinum is one of my favorite Pokemon games by far, and Diamond and Pearl aren't too far behind.
And really, why do people hate the whole fire-type thing so much? Just start with freaking Chimchar if you want a fire-type! Or get a bug-type to take out the grass-types! It's not that difficult to find alternatives, you guys...

Yep, Gen IV was my favorite. It wasn't so much the plot or battles as the region itself. Sinnoh is just an amazing region, with the Underground, the Chateau, and all the concealed caves.

Gen 4 was and IS my favorite generation especially D/P/Pt. People focus two much on the negatives like 'it had hardly any fire types' and 'it just gave old pokemon new evolutions'. While this may be true it is completely shadowed by the positives. It gave us the gts, poketch,pokeradar! Theres so much more too. People always pick out the flaws in things and give themselves a chance to enjoy it.

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
I finished Platinum a while ago but the thing is I just don't have any interest in playing it again. I don't know why exactly but the whole map design just feels.... boring.

T.W.I.

Undercover Rocket
I actually tried dusting off and replaying platinum for a few dex entries, but I just couldn't get into it.

FR, SS, BW, BW2 I have no problem replaying, but something with Plt and Em just...it's too difficult to get into.

I think it's in part to how theres a lack of interesting pokemon to get along the way.

bro

Cool story bro
I think some people disliked DP because, for example; Battling is so slow and feels like forever to wait that HP bar go down. That is one thing I really disliked about those games too. But that doesn't mean I don't like them. Also 4th generation has a lot of crappy Pokemon designs, that maybe be my opinion but I feel like quite many other players agree with this one too...

;080;

Status
Not open for further replies.