• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do so many people dislike D/P/Pt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cmack102

I enjoyed Gen IV, the new Pokemon were great, bringing evolutions to Pokemon that needed it was also a great idea. So many new Legendaries, all the starters were pretty good. This Gen was amazing!

Except for the speed, everything was just too.. Slow.

TanBun

I'm back :3
I like bidoof!
Sinnoh introëd( lol it is no existing word) me to pokemon and i still play since 2009 'cause my game crashed three times. I LOVE it
Heartgold is less good i think

Quantum1024

Flaming Death
I was not too bothered about the speed of Gen 4 (YMMV, I played it on a computer-based emulator running at 200% speed before buying a DS Lite), though my major beef was that there were only around 5 Fire-type lines in Platinum, my designated Sinnoh game. Even worse considering I like Fire-types (not in competitive though; I run a rain team there). The incompleteness of Diamond & Pearl could be a problem, which is why I designated Platinum to be my Sinnoh game instead of Diamond or Pearl (though I did designate Emerald as my Hoenn game, so I guess I preferred the 3rd version of the trio-type games).

I could chalk the hate up to the complicated map layout (though the game successfully railroads you into the recommended track), visible lack of Fire-types (poor type distribution), and game speed (EVERYTHING about the game was slow, from battle to trading. Seriously, you don't need to fling the Pokeball up into space just so you could trade with the dude standing in front of you).

That does not mean I hate the game, however. Sinnoh introduced me to the DS Lite system, eventually giving me the drive to buy my first DS Lite (and then a 3DS XL) and Pokemon SoulSilver (I called it my starter pack), and introduced me to the wonders of portable gaming that is more complex than Angry Birds or how to crash your plane in various creative methods (or landing a B-737 on an aircraft carrier) in X-Plane.

That said, the only Pokemon generation that I did not like was Gen 1 (complete weirdness and type matchup failures). *hides in nuclear bunker*

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
I'm pretty sure the main reason why people don't like it is because of the amount of legendaries and the game's slow battle speed...

I hate them because they suck and need to burn in hell where they belong. The battles are too slow, the layout of Sinnoh and the way the Pokemon are placed SUCKS! There are no good Water or Fire Types aside from the starters that are catchable, many of the Pokemon's designs SUCK and for the most part the best in their line up are Pokemon that are evolutions of PRE EXISTING POKEMON which is some thing you SHOULDN'T DO! Yes you can give Eevee a few new evolutions every gen that's fine, but for the love of god FOCUS ON THE NEW POKEMON BEFORE YOU FOCUS ON THE OLD!! I mean really I'd sooner use a Honchkrow and a Yanmega then ANY of the Gen 4 Pokemon. In fact out side of the Sinnoh games I've never used a Sinnoh Pokemon on my team THAT'S HOW BAD THEY ARE!!

So yeah, when it comes down to it Gen 4 is the worst Gen of em all, even more so than Gen 1, balancing problems and all. Though if you did have to tie me down and make me say something good about Gen 4 I'd admit that the Turtwig line was pretty cool, easily the best out of the starters (I ****ing hate Chimchar, and no I couldn't let this post end on a positive note Sinnoh doesn't deserve that -_-)

Old_mate

I loved 4th gen. Diamond would be the game where I have clocked the most hours of game play, behind R/S/E. I grew up playing pokemon from R/B/Y but I'm not one of those "Genwunners". I don't see where this gen gets all the hate from. I remember having countless hours just going through the underground with my brother playing capture the flag etc. Ahhh those were the times...

JayDo11

I was so sad when I lost my Diamond version with the living pokedex at school when I was 14. I liked Diamond/Pearl when it came out, but in retrospect, it was kind of underwhelming. Think about it, how much did DPPT it really change from, say emerald version? Not much, the graphics were better, but still unpolished. The underground and online play were interesting, but it was basically just the secret bases from Gen 3. Also, Lucas had the stupid beret. Honey trees were just pointless, and the distortion world was a let down. Aside from that, they were fun games, of course. Just when you think about how much HeartGold and SoulSilver improved, like the streamlined easy to navigate touch screen. Then think about what diamond and pearl could have had, like fallowing pokemon, which I loved personally, and how pokemon battle revolution was a huge dissappintment. Gens 4 and 5 are both running very similar engines, since they are both playable on the normal DS, that said, Diamond and Pearl were good first attempts, but honestly, I find replaying the GBA games way more enjoyable than replaying my platinum.

FallBird

I personally feel that DPP were the only bad pokemon games. Or I hope so, anyway. I've loved every game besides DPP. I even though maybe it was just bias because I loved Emerald so much, and recently went back to play through Platinum again and see if I liked it more now. Not. At. All. I don't like the rival, Professor Rowan has a very dry, dull personality (most professors, besides Elm who barely does anything, at least have a personality) for how often he appears throughout the game. I never liked the Dawn/Lucas designs, which led me to also dislike the entire DP anime saga. The one you don't pick is annoying in the game. 'I got my pokedex stolen, please help me!' and then their pokemon are strong enough that they definitely could have handled the grunts themselves. And Team Galactic. Worst team ever. I just. The plot in DPP feels like it was written by a ten year old. I wouldn't be surprised if it was. Cyrus never felt like a villain. I don't get how the lake spirits had a thing to do with anything. I also don't like the designs of the 4th gen pokemon, generally speaking, though I've warmed up to many of them (particularly Togekiss). Never liked the starters.
And that's all the nicest things I have to say about the DPP games.

Sohryu

Be a Man!
D/P/Pt is...slow. Simple.

But, there people that enjoyed fifth gen, so, why someone cannot dislike fourth gen?

Starkrai

Darkrai's Advocate
My first Pokemon game was Diamond so I absolutely loved it and any other 4th gen game, The pokemon where creative and interesting I thought but one things for sure this Gen didn't ruin pokemon it enhanced it just like every Gen is and will do regardless of what long term fans think.

AquaRegisteel

Face Oblivion
I don't agree with the hate. The plot was intense when you got to Veilstone HQ and beyond, and there was the now-complete Battle Frontier to beat (let's face it, Battle Park in DPP was utter ****). Giratina's Origin Forme was wonderful, but DP are the games that aren't that good. They are ok, but not as good as Platinum.

Aura Sensei™

User Title
It may very well be that everyone has their head stuck up their *** thinking that HGSS was actually better than DPPt, when, in reality, it was really bad in comparison to DPPt.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
The story. The music, the lack of new Pokemon. That was the reason for me. It also felt very GBA and the story just killed the whole game. Platinum enchanted it, yes, but that's about it and that's all there is to it.

Toxic Nightshade

GET TO DEL TACO
I actually liked DPPt a whole lot, but there were some let downs of course. The pacing was slow (which was bearable. It's not like you're going to finish it in one sitting anyway), and there were only, like, four fire types you can have a chance to catch. Fire being my favorite type, it just got me irritated. Putting those aside, i have to say that these were my favorite games. They just hold sentimental value, and these games started on the DS, a hot system at the time. It started a new era of the Pokemon games.

i really love the 4th gen it was really fun (i only ever played fire red, soul silver, and platinum) i think the battles where slow as ever thoughpeople whom do not like the fourth gen that haven't tried platinum really should. hope you like 4th gen more

orochi

Idk really. DPP were pretty cool.
-It was very slow though. I turned the battle scene off just to try and speed it up a bit.
-The contests were better than RSE though.
-Rowan was dull. Barry was kind of annoying.
-The male character design was...ehhhh.
-Bidoof is a beast though.
-Two shotting legendaries XD.
-Galatic was annoying!

The undergrownd place was a nice touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.