• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do so many people hate the 4th generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChedWick

Spoon-Fork

a scribbler of sorts
I honestly liked the fourth generation. I found it to be more difficult than the previous three. I'm starting to like some of the newer evolutions of the Pokémon from former generations, especially Gliscor, and I've always loved Porygon-Z. (You lie if you say that can't love its weird cuteness.) Bronzor and Brozong are probably one of my favorites of the this generation. Chingling is just my favorite pre-evolution of all time. Kricketot is one of the most adorable bug Pokémon we've gotten since Spinarak. I doubt few Pokémon fans would venture to say that they dislike the Shinx, or Buizel line. Most of the lines that are exclusively Sinnoh Pokémon aren't half bad. The characters are nicely protrayed, especially the Gym Leaders have a bit more personality than most of the other Gym Leader, with a few exceptions. The towns for some reason have captured my attention more, notably Snowpoint. Overall, I just liked it more than other regions, save for everyone's favorite region of Johto, and if Orre counts, then that too.

There's obviously traits that most veteran Pokémon fans are not fond of like some of newer evolutions of older Pokémon, and all of the other complaints I'm used to hearing, but I've actually liked this generation much more than Kanto, even, and Hoenn. It seems like a lot of fandoms have complaits about the new games, and we're no different.

H3R0

LordHotstuff
There's obviously traits that most veteran Pokémon fans are not fond of like some of newer evolutions of older Pokémon, and all of the other complaints I'm used to hearing, but I've actually liked this generation much more than Kanto, even, and Hoenn. It seems like a lot of fandoms have complaits about the new games, and we're no different.

I Actually Like The Newer Evolutions(Magmortar, Electrivire, Porygon-Z) They're All Neat Really, And Im A Veteran Player.

I Just Dislike SOME Of the Pokemon Designs.

Kycap

What do you want!?
The reasons why people hated the 4th generation...

1. People didn't need any more pokemon
2. The first (and second in my opinion) gens were the best, the third looked geeky, the fourth looked like that they weren't even trying.
3. WTF, Bidoof???
4. The names of the fourth gen stunk (Stunky!? I mean come on!!!)
5. Replaced means of religion (Diety pokes, and the Poke God, Arceus)

I will admit though, that the additional evolutions were okay though. What they should do is keep piling on evolutions for the pokemon to make them exclusively obtainable (hard to recieve; only recieved under certain conditions)

Thanks for Playing (lol)

randomspot555

The things I hate about it are as follows:
~ The number of legendaries introduced.

Why? Most of them were completely optional. And I don't know what brings out the anger in people of more legendary Pokes rather than more of other types of Pokes.

~ The Pokéradar (I can never get that thing to work properly!)

It explains clearly how to use it. Just because you can't figure it out isn't a reason to hate it.

~ The Super Contests.

I'll grant you this one, since Contests are quite different.

The reasons why people hated the 4th generation...

1. People didn't need any more pokemon

Please, don't speak for the rest of us. If you can't comprehend there being more than 493, then just say so. But don't say "people" when you really mean "I".

2. The first (and second in my opinion) gens were the best, the third looked geeky, the fourth looked like that they weren't even trying.

And as long as you're still buying it, Gamefreak and co don't care. Purchasing it, to them, is an indicator of liking it.

Of course, "they weren't even trying" is quite a stretch. Because it's so blatantly not true. An overhaul of battling with the physical/special split, the introduction of the Poketch and many useful items such as the Poke Radar, and events being more widely held are just a tip of the ice berg that the 4th gen has done.

3. WTF, Bidoof???

Every gen has Pokemon at the start that aren't meant to be much useful besides the beginning. You're only saying this because you're singling out the fourth gen while waxing nostalgia on the crap Pokemon available in Gen I and Gen II.

4. The names of the fourth gen stunk (Stunky!? I mean come on!!!)

Noctowl
Meowth
Rattata

5. Replaced means of religion (Diety pokes, and the Poke God, Arceus)

What does this even mean?

H3R0

LordHotstuff
With The Religon Thing Randomspot, I Think He Means Tieing It In With Religion, Saying That There A Poke God And All.

joker0187

my rolfcopter goes..
this generation is ok, better than the third generation overall. it brought us international trade, updated graphics, night and day(back), new attacks, and bidoof.
sure, it brought us some crap like too many legendaries with godlike powers, too slow, and some weird type combos

i do like this series, better than the 3rd gen with some exceptions(salamance for one)
like any generation, their will always be a good and crap for everyone.
oh my list, here it is: gen. 2, gen. 1, gen. 4, gen. 3:)

Feraligatr001

Silver Trainer
Agree

To be honest I like the gen's in this order, 2,1,3,4 which goes to show you that I think it is getting steadly worse. I think the graphics really turned me off on d/p/pt because your character looked stupid along with the background designs. Just saying my favourite graphics go in this order, 2,1,3,4 so i think graphics play a huge part

i agree the fourth generation also brought out some of the least creative(and strong) pokemon and storyline.

◘Ins0mnIac◘

Supreme Overlord
I think the pokemon designs, the game itsself, and the gameplay in 4th generation is LOADS better than 3rd. I really disliked the 3rd gen to a point where I stopped playing Pokemon games for a while(which I have been playing 10+ years.)

I dislike the lack of creativity in pokemon such as Heatran, Bidoof, and Lickilicky but at the same time love some of the ideas they used that hadn't been before ala Electivire, Vespiqueen, and Drifloon. I think it had the most elaborate plot next to 2nd gen and I love that they had such extensive wheather changes.

They one thing I disliked is the amount of prevos and evos in one generation and a smaller amount of actual new Pokemon.(To which I give 3rd gen props.)

Can't always get what you want but next to gsc this was probably my favorite generation. rby is the classic obviously but as far as gameplay goes.

Edit: Wonderful topic by the way.

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
They do?
I wasn't aware. I was under the impression, in fact, that wayy more people beat upon poor Hoenn.

Black Diaruga

Chahuistle
Zalman said:
I just want to hear your opinion on this generation.
I think this generation is just as good as the other 3.
All generations introduced new features and concepts, and I don't see anything wrong with the changes 3rd and 4th generations brought.

Mongerty

Halo Fanatic
You guys need to stop trying to tell people that their opinions are wrong.

I think that Silver was the best out of all of the games, that doesn't mean that someone who thinks that Emerald or Pearl was the best is wrong.

Serenna

Whether the franchise is getting better or worse in the only metric that really matters? No, that's a matter of fact, not opinion. Thanks though.

The only metric that can be used to see if the Pokemon franchise is still going strong is the TV ratings for the anime and the sales of their Pokemon games.

So far, both is still very high therefore they much be doing something correctly. The additions D/P and Platinum has is enough to give a lot of replay value. Factor in the non-mentioned IV and EV values and this can be played for years down the line.

Regardless of what some players think, this generation is a complete success and there's no doubt in my mind that there will be a 5th.

InfestedProtoss

me

I just dislike(thats a soft word for it) most of the Pokemon design and that the story is basically R/S/E all over again. Besides that it was great. For the Next Gen I do hope they go 'Retro' for lack of a better word and to make the Pokemon look like they were designed in Gen 1/2 by Sugimori.

But R/S were awful. Haven't played Emerald so I can't say about that one. But like I said, this is all just my opinion.

LugiaRob2000

The Power of One
I think the evolutions were more for the competitive aspect than aesthetic. Pokemon like Aipom and Nosepass had no chance against most of OU in their respective generations on, and although 'strong weak Pokemon is the concept of selfish people', the creators know that people cannot use their favorites if they can barely compete with the second stage of some other Pokemon.

Also, Masuda said in an interview that this generation's theme was 'ultimate' (I think it was 1up, but I am not sure which interview it was), so it only made sense that so many legendary and such powerful ones were created. Besides, that number has been increasing since Gen 1 (5 - 6 - 10 - 14 - cue people correcting my numbers). Hopefully this curve will stop so Gen 5 doesn't have 19-20+, but who knows.

Wow. Just did some calculations, and about 25% of the 4th Gen Pokemon are new evos/pre-evos (28/107), as compared to Johto's 16% (16/100). Johto also spawned more new non-evo Pokemon than Sinnoh (84 - 79).

O well, all in all, no numbers, stats, facts, or college level papers will persuade most. This topic is at heart pure opinion.

Alloute

Not Banned
I don't hate any generation, they all gave us new features, they are all special to me.

If you don't like the 4th Gen Pokemon, then don't watch the anime, don't play the games, leave Serebii.

ShiningMew

The Blue Mew
I loved this gen as much as the last. I just thought the Pokemon weren't as good this time around.

Or maybe, the idea of new Pokemon isn't growing on me as much. I remember my younger days where I anxiously awaited Gold and Silver to come out, and after that it didn't feel the same.

Call me crazy, but I just don't know.

BCVM22

Or maybe, the idea of new Pokemon isn't growing on me as much.

It's this. Gold and Silver were released a decade ago. Barring you being some sort of science-defying immortal, you've aged 10 years since then. That's tremendously significant; it's the difference between being 6 and 16, between being 11 and 21. Your tastes have changed - the franchise has not.

Penguinist Trainer

Where is all the hate for the 4th gen coming from? I haven't seen threads opening everywhere bashing the 4th gen. I think the overwhelming majority have accepted the 4th gen into the fold.

Typically everyone who comes to this site is a fan of pokemon in one form or the other. I personally see nothing wrong with this generation of games. Collect and train monsters, battle gym leaders. This has been the underlying theme behind the franchise that has kept bringing the fans back. Sure the battles have become more competitive with all the technical strategies, but pokemon is still pokemon. You can pick up this game and play it whether you're 5 or 25 and still enjoy it. People get out of it what they want to get out of it, but essentially the game has always been the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.