• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do so many people hate the 4th generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ungulateman

Miltank Man!
All I can say is:

Running. Inside. Buildings.

and:

Physical. -. Special. Split.

HanoiRose

NIPPON BONZAI!
The only things I don't like about 4th Gen. is the small amount of fire types in the regional pokedex, and the slow surfing speed. But who cares about those things? D/P kick ***! I love some of the new pokemon, such as Yanmega, Weavile, Infernape, Lucario, Gliscor etc. because they look cool.

I have played pokemon ever since 1st Gen, and I think each generation has been as good as the last one.

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
one thing that comes to mind about the 4th gen, If they had put all the 4th gen pokemon in emerald, it wouldn't have made emerald that much worse.

in fact i still play emerald and XD a whole lot more than D/P/P. Not saying i hate the 4th gen, just saying emerald was better

ScorpioStarmie

Concert Headbanger
I don't like that there are like a million legendaries in D/P/P. The Jhoto had the perfect amount of legendaries. They over did it in the 4gen. I really liked a lot of the changes in D/P/P. Some of the pokemon were creative and I overall liked it. Especially the pairing up with people like cheryl and buck. I also liked that all the starters were used instead of leaving on behind :)
But D/P/P isn't as bad as Hoenn region. That was my least fav b/c the pokemon.

ScorpioStarmie

Concert Headbanger
I don't like that there are like a million legendaries in D/P/P. The Jhoto had the perfect amount of legendaries. They over did it in the 4gen. I really liked a lot of the changes in D/P/P. Some of the pokemon were creative and I overall liked it. Especially the pairing up with people like cheryl and buck. I also liked that all the starters were used instead of leaving on behind :)
But D/P/P isn't as bad as Hoenn region. That was my least fav b/c the pokemon.

Elrade

Snarky snark snark.
I think the hate that Hoenn and Sinnoh get is because of people who think that the series should have ended with G/S/C or even R/B/Y, which annoys me to no extent. Over in the Transformer fandom, we have a phrase called Ruined FOREVER, and although most TF fans I know use it as a joke, you won't believe how many other fans than Transformers really was ruined forever after the '86 movie where Prime died/Beast Wars/Beast Machines/Car Robots/Unicron Trilogy/Kiss Players/live-action movie/Animated. The only one of those that came close to ruining the franchise for me was the super-creepy Kiss Players, and even that's just a mercifully Japan-exclusive stain on the franchise's name. Even the vast majority of Japanese fans hate it!

THose that think no games should have been made after R/B/Y are the Pokemon equivalent of GEEWUNS.

Of course, the fact that some people hate everything recent in Pokémon because of the kiddy anime may be a factor, too. (No offense, I like the animé, but ya gotta admit it's defintely targeted towards kids from ages five to eight.)

Xweek

Diligent Shipper
I don't get why everyone hated the third generation. I think that is MUCH better than the fourth generation...

dpmfa388.png
dpmfa400.png
dpmfa402.png
dpmfa407.png
dpmfa411.png

dpffa413.png
dpmfa415.png
dpffa416.png
dpmfa426.png
dpmfa428.png

dpmfa432.png
dpmfa437.png
dpmfa442.png
dpmfa462.png
dpmfa463.png

dpmfa464.png
dpmfa465.png
dpmfa467.png
dpmfa476.png

Those are a select few of the very many ugly Pokemon of the fourth generation. The fact that they are ugly isn't even the problem, they just look ridiculous. Compare them to the first generation and you'll see that the people behind the creation of the Pokemon aren't doing as well as they used to do. Yes there are some ugly Pokemon in the third generation, but they certainly don't look like Probopass or Bronzong.

But...I like most of those designs. I love Combee in particular. I like them a heck of a lot more than the likes of Exeggutor, Primeape, Sneasel, Corsola, Magby and, worst of all, Raticate.

Undecided

Collector
But...I like most of those designs. I love Combee in particular. I like them a heck of a lot more than the likes of Exeggutor, Primeape, Sneasel, Corsola, Magby and, worst of all, Raticate.

Raticate was and is terrible. HM Slave, but terrible. Combee has been a favorite of mine, but Vespiqueen doesn't appeal to me at all. Vespiking (If you've seen fan drawings, it's a giant wasp) looks much more useful.

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991

Yes and you are making the exact same point as the person you are disagreeing with. Just because you don't like the design of a pokemon doesn't mean it's bad regardless of whether it's new or old.

Z a p p 3 d

Go To My Shop <33333
This 4th generation is really fkd up in comparing to Johto....
Hoenn nd Sinnoh graphics just aren't the same anymore ...it doesnt give the same feeling anymore as when i've had my first pokemon game ! Pokemon yellow XD

Flurried Rains

~No Day But Today.

Magby is one of MY FAVORITES. I don't see how Corsola, Sneasel, Primeape, Exeggutor (another one of my favorites), and Raticate are more ridiculous than those that I have posted. I find even the Pokemon that you have listed to be more sophisticated and well-designed than those that I had posted before. I s'pose I like these more because they are more realistic, rather than a floating steel plate or a giant stone-carved face with a mustache.

Of course, the fact that some people hate everything recent in Pokémon because of the kiddy anime may be a factor, too. (No offense, I like the animé, but ya gotta admit it's defintely targeted towards kids from ages five to eight.)

I would definitely agree that these Pokemon could have been made like this to appeal to the younger audiences (as that is the majority of Pokemon players or watchers) and that is why some people who loved the classics as a kid and grew up with those Pokemon as the norm for all Pokemon find the new generation completely strange and unappealing.

Hoenn nd Sinnoh graphics just aren't the same anymore ...it doesnt give the same feeling anymore as when i've had my first pokemon game ! Pokemon yellow X

Exactly. Of course I prefer the first generation partly because of nostalgia. Like I said it is what I am used to when I think of Pokemon. Then these brightly colored, oddly shaped new Pokemon come that are out of my "comfort zone" I s'pose you could say. It would be interesting to see how many of the original Pokemon players would agree with me... I could just be one of the few original Pokemon players that dislike the fourth generation Pokemon or the majority of them could agree with me. I see reasons for both outcomes. :l

I think the hate that Hoenn and Sinnoh get is because of people who think that the series should have ended with G/S/C or even R/B/Y, which annoys me to no extent.

I don't think that the series should have ended with G/S/C or R/B/Y. I personally think it would have been a bad move to end it there or make the Pokemon in a different way (that appeals to the majority of their audience, younger kids, also said before) because they would have made a lot less money. All I am saying is that the fourth generation is off-putting to me as someone who started with the first generation.

Now I think I've said the same thing five times over or so, but whatever.

Bisasam

Bulbasaur
Most of the 3rd/4th gen haters are probably about 16-20. They began playing 1st gen at the age of 6-10 and found it totally awesome, but lost interest in Pokémon afterwards. Now they are not interested in Pokémon, but they still like the 1st gen because of nostalgic reasons.

I'm a new fan, so I can't have feelings like that, but still, I think the Pokémon of the 1st gen look the best and from the 4th gen the worst. There are some really cool Pokémon (Lucario, Gliscor, Mismagius...) but most of the evolutions of the old Pokémon are so ugly.
But still, I love the 4th gen games and anime.

nap*

Yeah Baby!

This is the answer to this topic's question - Nostalgia

I wish people would stop seeing 2nd gen as the holy grail of Pokemon. It was the worst of the series. There are too many flaws in that game, one being the game was too damn short and needed Kanto to support it. Also The Pokemon were not THAT interesting. Seriously people are complaining about Bidoof when Johto got stuck with Sentret, yeah OK... If people expect HGSS to be even half as good as D/P/Pt then those games needs a complete re-ramp and must include better story.

Dattebayo

Banned
The only problem with the 4th generation is it decreased the population of stand alone pokemon by giving them pre-evolved/evolved forms, and we all know that stand alone pokemon are more special than pokemon with evolution links because they have better stats than fully evolved ones. The only stand alone pokemon who deserve to have an evolution are pokemon who were rare (like only one in the game) in the previous games. Munchlax, Mime Jr., Bonsly, and Lickylicky are fine additions since there were only 2 Snorlaxes, 1 Mr. Mime, and 1 Lickytung in R/B/Y and 1 Sudowoodo in G/S/C/E. The rest were unneeded and useless, no matter how decent their designs are.

Flurried Rains

~No Day But Today.
This is the answer to this topic's question - Nostalgia

I wish people would stop seeing 2nd gen as the holy grail of Pokemon. It was the worst of the series. There are too many flaws in that game, one being the game was too damn short and needed Kanto to support it. Also The Pokemon were not THAT interesting. Seriously people are complaining about Bidoof when Johto got stuck with Sentret, yeah OK... If people expect HGSS to be even half as good as D/P/Pt then those games needs a complete re-ramp and must include better story.

As far as G/S/C having flaws, the second generation is about the Pokemon in it, not necessarily the gameplay; as well as the fourth generation is about the Pokemon (or at least that's what I think). And I have to say Sentret looks much better than Bidoof, especially the evolved forms too. Sentret looks more like something that could be an animal in real life, not because you'd see a squirrel hopping around on it's tail everyday, but because it's colors don't pop out at you as much and it's ears look like ears and not stubs. I don't know what it is about them, but the older generations have Pokemon that look more sophisticated and less cartoon-like. In which case in comes down to which of the two you like better: sophisticated images or cartoon-like images.

That's basically my main problem with the fourth generation. The way that the Pokemon are drawn/created now is different from the way that they made them before, causing the newer Pokemon to look as if they don't belong in the same game as the original Pokemon. Look at the example:

dpmfa012.png
dpffa416.png

Personally if I knew nothing of Pokemon and looked at those two images I don't think I'd think they're from the same game series.

nap*

Yeah Baby!
In which case in comes down to which of the two you like better: sophisticated images or cartoon-like images.

That's basically my main problem with the fourth generation. The way that the Pokemon are drawn/created now is different from the way that they made them before, causing the newer Pokemon to look as if they don't belong in the same game as the original Pokemon. Look at the example:

dpmfa012.png
dpffa416.png

Personally if I knew nothing of Pokemon and looked at those two images I don't think I'd think they're from the same game series.

To be honest I don't really care much for that much for the style of the pokemon created, but I'd prefer more cartoon-like images than pokemon that is extemely similar to their real life counter part. Pokemon is like an imagination gone wild, so I don't believe that the Pokemon designers shouldn't have the need to represent a real life animal counterpart to such an extent.

I just dislike it when people won't see past nostalgia. If you compare storyline, you can see that D/P/Pt clearly superior to G/S/C. I felt it was really anti climatic when you found out what Team Rocket's plan really was if not pathetic, if it was similar to the manga, and had a story similar to Neo Team Rocket arc, then it could have been rivalling the Galatic story, but sadly it did not.

Gameplay, 4th gen technically got the same formula as the past games, 8 badges, evil team, league, but that all the main handheld games do, so no-one really should really complain about anything except that fact it's too similar, but then people shouldn't bash games like Pokemon Colosseum/XD, for having radically different gameplay.

If 2nd and 4th Gen were they other way round I doubt people would be complaining at all.

BCVM22

Over in the Transformer fandom, we have a phrase called Ruined FOREVER, and although most TF fans I know use it as a joke, you won't believe how many other fans than Transformers really was ruined forever after the '86 movie where Prime died/Beast Wars/Beast Machines/Car Robots/Unicron Trilogy/Kiss Players/live-action movie/Animated.

Quoting the Transformers Wiki = win (I'm a fan of the Trukk not munky entry), but as a piece of advice, when you're using this bit, use the Television Tropes and Idioms version of it; it does a much better job of showing the universal scale of people who really do believe something has been "ruined forever."

The way that the Pokemon are drawn/created now is different from the way that they made them before, causing the newer Pokemon to look as if they don't belong in the same game as the original Pokemon.

See, that's just another attempt at taking an opinion and trying to mold it into something that resembles "artistic fact," i.e. trying to make it sound like there's a perfectly legitimate artistic reason for this continued fallacy. There isn't. It's still just your nostalgic opinion clouding your judgement. If I were uninitiated and I were to look at Butterfree and Vespiquen side-by-side, I would conclude that even though one design was a little simpler than the other, they're clearly both from the same franchise. That's going to happen in any monster-based franchise: some designs will look a little simpler and cleaner, some will look more complex. That's just how it is. There's absolutely nothing that says "the new Pokémon look like they don't belong with the old ones." That's just cloudy-opinioned malarkey.

Xweek

Diligent Shipper
Yes and you are making the exact same point as the person you are disagreeing with. Just because you don't like the design of a pokemon doesn't mean it's bad regardless of whether it's new or old.

I will disagree with your analysis 100%. Look at the statements AGAIN;

Xweek said:

Flurried Rains said:
Those are a select few of the very many ugly Pokemon of the fourth generation. The fact that they are ugly isn't even the problem, they just look ridiculous. Compare them to the first generation and you'll see that the people behind the creation of the Pokemon aren't doing as well as they used to do. Yes there are some ugly Pokemon in the third generation, but they certainly don't look like Probopass or Bronzong.

The top quote does not claim to be fact. The use of 'I' denotes it to be an opinion, simply refuting given generalisations.

The bottom quote claims to be fact, with terms such as 'These are the select few of the very many ugly Pokemon' and 'Compare them to the first generation and you'll see that the people behind the creation of the Pokemon aren't doing as well as they used to do.' These are sweeping generalisations that imply that everyone must think the same and that there is no disagreement that those designs are ugly. Which is very, very untrue.

Or do you need an 'IMO' in front of every opinion to understand what it means.

Flurried Rain said:
Magby is one of MY FAVORITES.

I don't give a damn if he's one of your favourites. You lashed into one of my favourites, did you not?

Flurried Rain said:
I don't see how Corsola, Sneasel, Primeape, Exeggutor (another one of my favorites), and Raticate are more ridiculous than those that I have posted. I find even the Pokemon that you have listed to be more sophisticated and well-designed than those that I had posted before. I s'pose I like these more because they are more realistic, rather than a floating steel plate or a giant stone-carved face with a mustache.

I've just never liked them. If I think a Pokemon is ugly, regardless of detail and regardless of realism, then that's tough. We all have different tastes, so don't try and lump everyone into one basket, and assume we like the same things on the same criteria.

MustGetPlatinum

-Too many legendaries
-Instead of making new pokemon, they decided to make new evolutions instead
-New pokemon aren't creative
-Characters have less personality and development
-Overworld is less creative (remember the town in R/S/E made up of treehouses?)
-Bombarded us with unpolished new features (Battle Frontier was NOTHING compared to Emerald's)
-Less recurring characters
I think you have concentrated everything that's wrong with the fourth generation right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.