• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do so many people hate the 4th generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biodragon

Classic pokemon? Explain this. I don't really see what you are talking about. Secondly like it has been stated before gamefreak will not run out of ideas. I mean think about it, they have only had 2 horse, 1 deer, 2 bear, 4 big cats, 4 small cats, you get the idea. I know of a person on deviantArt who makes up pokemon for fun, and her pokemon are ones I could actually see in the games. Don't mistake an inability to think up new pokemon as a sign that gamefreak is running out of ideas, if you cannot think up any new pokemon it is because you lack creativity.

Zazie

So 1991
Sure it does.

As was already mentioned, the 2nd generation had its fair share of pre-evolutions and new evolutions and yet for some odd reason, it's spared the venom.

This argument continues to be made, sadly, and it continues to be nonsensical. Aside from the nostalgia-colored glasses, what is it that linked the 1st and 2nd gen Pokémon and made them look "classic" and what is it about the 3rd and 4th generations that makes them look so "different" as to give anyone reason to think "they don't look like the classic Pokémon" is accurate or worthwhile as an argument?

The amount of Pre/Evo's is why I don't like 2nd gen as much as 1st and 3rd pokemon-wise.

I laugh whenever I hear anyone refer to 2nd gen as classic pokemon. There is no "classic pokemon". There is old school pokemon but that is 1st gen only but that has to do with release dates not pokemon designs. Complaining about Pokemon designs is a very subjective arguement anyway and there is little to argue about.

Last edited:

LedZeppelin1

Expect theUnexpected
I like the 4th gen Pokemon, definitely better then the 3rd gen, I didn't like most of those. It's my third favorite after the tied 1st and 2nd gen Pokemon.

2G+PN

2nd GEN+ PokéNazi
Because many of the players are attached to the first generation, having so many memories from their childhood. And having outgrown childish things while still being attached to apart of it would mean liking only the ones that they know and love.

That aside, I think 4th Generation sucks because the pathetic pokemon....seriously:
=Wannabe list=
Bidoof - Rattata
Bibarle - Radicate (Sorry for spelling, I don't know half of them)
Starly through Staravia - Pidgey through Pidgeot
Beautifly, Dustox and all of their previous evolutions - COMMON SENSE

And probably MANY more.

Not to mention all the additions to good pokemon such as Magmar and Electabuzz (and Eevee). If you want to talk about story how would you explain them never being able to evolve fully in times when the evolutions didn't exist.

Regarding the posts on story and franchise:
When you think of a Pokemon game do you think of story?? Isn't it all pretty much the same? Get your first pokemon from the professor, go collect gym badges, beat the elite four, and while doing this face your oh-so-original rival? I'm not so sure on franchise though, but what does that have to do with the pokemasters (we know who we are lol) hating the 4th season? When the little 6-8 year olds grow up and hate like the 8th season, I figure they'll understand why.

1st Gen FOREVER

-2G+PN

BCVM22

Because many of the players are attached to the first generation, having so many memories from their childhood. And having outgrown childish things while still being attached to apart of it would mean liking only the ones that they know and love.

Yes, we call this "being blinded by nostalgia." It isn't typically a good thing.

At least you're honest about it, I guess?

2G+PN

2nd GEN+ PokéNazi
Yes, we call this "being blinded by nostalgia." It isn't typically a good thing.

At least you're honest about it, I guess?

It kind of isn't being blinded by nostalgia if you outgrow something. Being to old for something and therefore not liking it has nothing to do with nostalgia.

Think of it as "I'm to old for stuff like Pokemon" but still liking the old ones because of nostalgia does not mean you dislike the pokemon that are new, you just outgrew them. I'm not sure if thats hard to comprehend (and I mean no offense to anyone when I say comprehend, thats just the best I could word it). But what I'm trying to get at is that nostalgia does not mean that you hate the new pokemon if you outgrew them, and that people can hate them for different reasons...cause I know I'm not 'blinded by nostalgia', but I can see where you were going with that.

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
Because people who have been into Pokemon realize how dumb some of the ideas in Gen 4 are. I'm sure not everybody wanted to see crappy evolutions of Kanto Pokemon. I'm sure not everybody wanted to see 14 Legendary Pokemon in one generation. But It's not all bad - we did get better graphics and we're about to get remakes of some pretty great games!

Biodragon

That aside, I think 4th Generation sucks because the pathetic pokemon....seriously:
=Wannabe list=
Bidoof - Rattata
Bibarle - Radicate (Sorry for spelling, I don't know half of them)
Starly through Staravia - Pidgey through Pidgeot
Beautifly, Dustox and all of their previous evolutions - COMMON SENSE

So because this gen followed the same pattern as every other gen that makes it bad?

WishmakerX

Event Master Hunter
You all need to stop being so freakin' picky. If you take a closer look at the dispute as a whole, the only generation that was original was the 1st. All other generations were based off that great example of a game, and are therefore, all unoriginal in their own rights. GSC is great in the fact that it was the first to have color, and the only one to go to two regions. RSE introduced the advent of an extremely involved story and a vast amount of favorite pokemon. DPPt offered the 3-D element, as well as a flurry of new legendaries. They all have their strengths, but their one weakness is RBY.

Ampy

Light The Stars
One thing I really liked about the 4th gen was how Team Galactic got really into the storyline... Team Magma and Team Aqua did too but not so much and Team Rocket was in their alot but... it didn't seem like they had a really big purpose... just to steal pokemon that's all...... I also like (especially in Platinum) How the legendaries really got into the storyline much like the Johto region, but I didn't like how some of the new pokemon looked although Bibarel may be a wanna be Raticate... I personally hate Raticate.. and Bibarel is better in my opinion

eeveerose

Its... hard to explain. In my opinion, the pokemon just aren't as cool and original as in thte old geneations.
The games and show kinda ruined it, as well. They lost... maybe... the "magic" the old games and shows had.
Its just not as good as the previous, honestly is all I'm saying. This is my opinion.
I dont HATE it, I just don't love it nearly as much as I have loved the previous gens, is all.
heh.

randomspot555

^^^ In other words, nostalgia? Like 4 people have at least provided concrete reasons on their opinions. But most are just vague posts like yours which basically are code for nostalgia.

I just want to hear your opinion on this generation.

Sure man no problem, unlike everybody else getting into it! (Whooo!! lol)

I'll give you my opinion, I actually like the 4th Generation. It has its ups and downs but overall, it is a good Generation in my opinion. Although some of the overworld music from D/P/Pt makes me bored and sleepy.

On another note, I'm starting to think nostalgia is the reason why some dislike the 4th Generation. That's what I think though. Peace!! ;155;

Ampy

Light The Stars
Sure man no problem, unlike everybody else getting into it! (Whooo!! lol)

I'll give you my opinion, I actually like the 4th Generation. It has its ups and downs but overall, it is a good Generation in my opinion. Although some of the overworld music from D/P/Pt makes me bored and sleepy.

On another note, I'm starting to think nostalgia is the reason why some dislike the 4th Generation. That's what I think though. Peace!! ;155;

That's exactly how I felt when R/S/E came out... I was nostalgic so I didn't really like it... but when FR/LG came out it passed and I started to see that R/S/E were actually pretty good

Escape Reality

Daydreamer
i also like the 4th gen. and yeah, i was nostalgic too, but i think every gen., well for me anyway, had it's ups and downs. though if i compare all the gens. together, i'd say i dislike the hoenn region most... -__- but that's beside the point. ;)

Ampy

Light The Stars
i also like the 4th gen. and yeah, i was nostalgic too, but i think every gen., well for me anyway, had it's ups and downs. though if i compare all the gens. together, i'd say i dislike the hoenn region most... -__- but that's beside the point. ;)

Same here... Hoenn was my least favorite... mostly because the pokemon were designed poorly... and I'm a little nostalgic right now because I want to play gold and silver but atleast I know they have remakes coming our way... and Platinum is really the only reason I like the 4th gen as much as the 1st gen... Johto being my favorite

Status
Not open for further replies.