• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do so many people hate the 4th generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

I has a hat
I guess it's the unfamiliarity I had with the Pokemon. And none of them gave off the best feel for me. For awhile, it felt like I was playing a game with fan-made Pokemon. And a bunch of them look too much real-life animals to me. The older generations seem to show a bit more originality in all the Pokemon. Then again, it's also possible that nostalgia is making me believe the 1st and 2nd generations. But that's perhaps just me.

Edit: I forgot to mention I didn't really enjoy any of the starters, and instead let a friend pick for me. I got Chimchar, but I suppose he's the most efficient, so I stayed with him. The rest of the starts, 1st generation up, I actually had a hard time choosing over. Mainly 1st and 2nd.

Zazie

So 1991
Why'd you even post this?

1. You don't have proof people are tired of it... you're just going by your personal preference.
And yes actually it does contribute quite a bit to the conversation

I am not just going by personal preference as I have heard people complain about it before, a lot.

And how exactly does it contribute anything of of value to the conversation?
Saying new Pokeymans suck because they aren't the ones I grew up with is a stupid arguement. The quality of a game has nothing to do with whether one grew up with it or not. Nostalgia has absolutley no basis in fact and means different things to different people. Arguing that a game is better because you grew up with it is even more pointless than arguing that Blue version is better than Red version because blue is your favorite color. You may like the color blue better but don't go expecting other people to agree with you or even take your post seriously.

Last edited:
I think most of the generation 4 pokémon looks cool but I've learnt to like them as time have passed. At first I didn't like them at all, I thought they looked a lot more robot-ish then the older generations. I still think they do a little but it's not bothering me like it used to.
I should probably explain what I mean with "robot". In the older generations the pokémon looked more like real animals, you could tell by looking at a Butterfree that it was supposed to be a butterfly, or that Phanpy is an elephant. And I know there's some pokémon in generation 4 that also looks like animals, like Toxicroak being a frog.
But I mean, what is Rotom and all its new forms? Probopass? Gallade?
Maybe it's just me who don't see what they're supposed to resemble.
Anyway, I don't know why people hate the 4th geneation. I think something changed between the older generations and the 4th, I mean with the pokémons' design, but I don't hate it. Hey, one of my favorite pokémon is from generation 4 :)

Lightey

I like it a lot, actually.

Here is my order

(first = worst, last = best)
3, 1, 4, 2

2G+PN

2nd GEN+ PokéNazi
Wait, seriously? What? You're suggesting they purposely make a game that looks like it's old enough to be graduating middle school?

Why? What possible impetus could there be for them to do that?

Cause apparently there are so many people with Nostalgia that they'd make a killing.....

2G+PN

2nd GEN+ PokéNazi
What are you talking about? Lots of changes have been made to pokemon with each new gen. As for the most other 'series change more than those aspects. Fire Emblem, Metroid, Mario, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Dragon Quest, and Disgaea say hi.

Hi Fire Emblem, Metroid, Mario, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Dragon Quest, and Disgaea.

I said most not all. Final Fantasy is a turn based game, but I'm sure its had its changes in how the system works, and they've had MAJOR graphic improvements while pokemon kinda keeps a 2D look even though its 3D-ish. Same goes for all others listed about the graphics. The graphics have had major improvements. Metroid used to be 2D and now they have fully 3D first person games. I'm not all to sure on Disgaea because I've never played it (but I have heard its great), Dragon Quest used to be 2D at one point I think, not to hot on Dragon Quest either. Zelda has gone to the WII which is a major change, along with the fact that it was 2D and its graphics probably took alot more work that pokemons did. Fire Emblem is pretty much been the same...but its still pretty good. Pokemon also has had 3 versions of each series (not including the remakes), imagine the amount of work that they do between each one (except Platinum, they added more in that than previously done).

Remember though, I haven't said that any of this is negative. Get a game everyone likes and put some new skins on it and your making huge money, nothing bad.

2G+PN

2nd GEN+ PokéNazi
Doesn't change the fact that it'd be a pretty bad idea, Megaman 9 notwithstanding.
From what I know Pokemon is bigger than Megaman (I may be wrong), and thats a completely different type of game with no multiplayer. Can't really be based off of one thing that doesn't relate to it very much. And Pokemon was around in a time when more people played video games, and with little creatures like that it appealed to alot of kids (not saying that Megaman didn't).

I think my fave gens are 1st and 2nd because they to me are the most original and yes there is a nostalgia for me but when i actually compare them to 3rd and 4th gen i still prefer them.

Now for gameplay, i think 4th gen has it good. loads of things to do, loads of new options and gadgets to use eg pokeradar and poketch. It's faster in most aspects than the older games apart from surfing but they changed that in plat.

then there's the GTS that's a good thing.

i think theres too many different ways to evolve and some of the designs looks silly.

what happened to sun stones? only 2 pokes use them. then shiney and dusk stones? what is the point!

2G+PN

2nd GEN+ PokéNazi
Okay I was just thinking and came to this conclusion:

Everything I've said about the GAME has been ALL nostalgia, besides the Pokemon and the whole 'series' thing. I don't hate the game, just the Pokemon.

BCVM22

I don't hate the game, just the Pokemon.

Is it because they:

A. Do not look like Pokémon
B. Look like a child drew them with a crayon
C. Look "rushed"
D. Look like the artists are running out of ideas
E. All of the above
F. Other

Flurried Rains

~No Day But Today.
Is it because they:

C. Look "rushed"
E. All of the above
F. Other

Hint: Say "F. Other". You will get a free internet cookie. But seriously, everyone who has said anything else has been torn apart. Some of these reasons are valid if you argue them well enough. Not that I agree with them... But someone could still say that the Pokemon look rushed, while they may not have been rushed at all. Someone could argue that the previous generation's defined what Pokemon are supposed to look like and that the new Pokemon do not fit that criteria. That's just if you want to get all technical.

Last edited:

2G+PN

2nd GEN+ PokéNazi
Is it because they:

C. Look "rushed"
E. All of the above
F. Other

Cough, E, Cough...

2G+PN

2nd GEN+ PokéNazi

Biodragon

Hi Fire Emblem, Metroid, Mario, Final Fantasy, Zelda, Dragon Quest, and Disgaea.

I said most not all. Final Fantasy is a turn based game, but I'm sure its had its changes in how the system works, and they've had MAJOR graphic improvements while pokemon kinda keeps a 2D look even though its 3D-ish. Same goes for all others listed about the graphics. The graphics have had major improvements. Metroid used to be 2D and now they have fully 3D first person games. I'm not all to sure on Disgaea because I've never played it (but I have heard its great), Dragon Quest used to be 2D at one point I think, not to hot on Dragon Quest either. Zelda has gone to the WII which is a major change, along with the fact that it was 2D and its graphics probably took alot more work that pokemons did. Fire Emblem is pretty much been the same...but its still pretty good. Pokemon also has had 3 versions of each series (not including the remakes), imagine the amount of work that they do between each one (except Platinum, they added more in that than previously done).

Remember though, I haven't said that any of this is negative. Get a game everyone likes and put some new skins on it and your making huge money, nothing bad.

*facepalm*
I think you have missed the point of what I was trying to say. In the pokemon series the basic premise is to capture and raise monsters. And with each new gen upgrades have been put into the games and interesting features of the gens.
All of these came about after the first gen
Splitting of special into defense and offense
Two new types
More then one color
The ability for a pokemon to hold items
Abilities
Weather moves
Wi-fi
Double battles
Items to help with the training of pokemon EV's
3D backgrounds
Moving sprites when entering battle
Night and day
Physical and special split
Poke-tech
A 3D pokemon game where you can explore
The ability to steal certain pokemon from your opponent
Berries
Secret Bases
Battle Frontier
Elite Four whose levels increase with each consecutive victory
Breeding and pokemon eggs
You get the idea.
There have been a ton of changes over the years. And there will be more additions with the games to come. Now what I wish for you to tell me is what video game series is in the 'most' category that you mentioned.

Ampy

Light The Stars
I am not just going by personal preference as I have heard people complain about it before, a lot.

And how exactly does it contribute anything of of value to the conversation?
Saying new Pokeymans suck because they aren't the ones I grew up with is a stupid arguement. The quality of a game has nothing to do with whether one grew up with it or not. Nostalgia has absolutley no basis in fact and means different things to different people. Arguing that a game is better because you grew up with it is even more pointless than arguing that Blue version is better than Red version because blue is your favorite color. You may like the color blue better but don't go expecting other people to agree with you or even take your post seriously.

I never said that I agree with them saying that it sucks just because of the new pokemon because personally I like quite a few of the new ones... especially the legendaries... and the question is... why does everyone hate the 4th gen people are gonna say why they hate it... it's a forum you're gonna get people that complain about that stuff alot

tom-tom

Furret <3
Is it because they:

C. Look "rushed"
E. All of the above
F. Other

Just D. but i like them still

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
I love how so many people say "OH EM GEEZ! The 4th gen Pogeymanz don't look like real life animals!"

It's a friggen game people, it's not supossed to be real, nor are all the Pokemon going to be based of genric animals. Go paint your pet moust Yellow if you want a realistic Pokemon.

Last edited:
i don't like it because the 4th generation includes horrible pokemon and stupid evoloutions,too many legendaries,and some stupid pokemon named Arceus referred as Pokemon God.The one thing i like is the new moves and abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.