• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do so many people hate the 4th generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCVM22

Arceus is never once referred to as God or a god or anything of the sort. Someone else can answer the rest of your regurgitations.

Kreis

Still Dirrty
i don't like it because the 4th generation includes horrible pokemon and stupid evoloutions,too many legendaries,and some stupid pokemon named Arceus referred as Pokemon God.The one thing i like is the new moves and abilities.

There were many new great Pokemon. These "stupid" evolutions in which you mention made many Pokemon actually useable in competitive battling. Many competitive battlers would agree. Also, as BCVM22 stated, Arceus was never once mentioned as a god.

parasky

Some of the new evelutins are a bit rushed (Likkiliky , Duskinor)
But some are quite good (the two new evvelutions , tangrowth etc.)

Zazie

So 1991
I never said that I agree with them saying that it sucks just because of the new pokemon because personally I like quite a few of the new ones... especially the legendaries... and the question is... why does everyone hate the 4th gen people are gonna say why they hate it... it's a forum you're gonna get people that complain about that stuff alot

I am aware people will complain and that is fine it is the topic. But it certainley be nice if people were bringing up actual flaws in the game that can be discussed rather than mirroring the hundreds of other posts saying the exact same thing. (that is probably asking for too much on a forum as heavily trafficked as here though.) Mostly I was responding to another poster who was saying nostalgia is a good arguement, I as posting my disagrrement with that post not telling other people what they should post.

Skaisdead

Movers and Shakers
Because the first generation is the only real generation and everything after that are not real Pokemon. No, I hate it when people say that. I like all of the generations. The third, not so much, but I have no problem with the fourth. It introduced some of my favorite Pokemon, Like Rampardos and Giratina. I'm looking forward to whatever Gamefreak has in store next for us, but honestly, I think that some of the fake Pokemon I've seen on Deviantart are cooler than some of the stuff Gamefreak has given us *coughSkuntankcough*

X-ice654

Angry Dawn is Angry
For me Gen. 4 is awesome. It is my second favorite(my favorite being Gen. 2). I will say some of the new pokemon aren't that cool, primarily Lickilicky. But other than that its simply amazing. The divison of physical and special attacks, the new attacks and abilities, the decriptions for the pokemon, and the new evolutions.

And just so you know I'm not a newbie to pokemon I've been a fan since I got Pokemon Stadium several years back.

shamwowsavedme

chek dis ancient ***
kanto and johto 10/10. hoenn 3/10. because of hoenn i stopped watching and playing pokemon. then sinnoh came out and i played a demo i got the real game now i thnk of sinnoh 9/10

2G+PN

2nd GEN+ PokéNazi
*facepalm*
I think you have missed the point of what I was trying to say. In the pokemon series the basic premise is to capture and raise monsters. And with each new gen upgrades have been put into the games and interesting features of the gens.
All of these came about after the first gen
Splitting of special into defense and offense
Two new types
More then one color
The ability for a pokemon to hold items
Abilities
Weather moves
Wi-fi
Double battles
Items to help with the training of pokemon EV's
3D backgrounds
Moving sprites when entering battle
Night and day
Physical and special split
Poke-tech
A 3D pokemon game where you can explore
The ability to steal certain pokemon from your opponent
Berries
Secret Bases
Battle Frontier
Elite Four whose levels increase with each consecutive victory
Breeding and pokemon eggs
You get the idea.
There have been a ton of changes over the years. And there will be more additions with the games to come. Now what I wish for you to tell me is what video game series is in the 'most' category that you mentioned.

Guessed I missed the point, and maybe you missed mine, they don't have to change anything and people will still buy it...but I guess that just added a whole bunch of new things cause it'd be better. Like the Poketech can be pointless and adding it wasn't necessary to the game, but got to go now.

Biodragon

Guessed I missed the point, and maybe you missed mine, they don't have to change anything and people will still buy it...but I guess that just added a whole bunch of new things cause it'd be better. Like the Poketech can be pointless and adding it wasn't necessary to the game, but got to go now.

No, I got your point, but I was pointing out that your point was bull. Your point was that game developers can change very little in a game and resell it as a new game. While true in some cases, Pokemon is not one of these cases. Just look at the list I made, would lazy game developers do that much work? As for poketech, while there are a handful of not very useful parts there was also some very useful parts.

Aresol

Caring Wanderer
At first I didn't get into it as much as the others.
Then I took a second look and I very much enjoy it.
I do like the new Pokemon, the new moves, etc.
I really only had a problem with the change in contests, but that problem is so minuscule and really isn't enough to make me even remotely dislike this game.

Some people say that it's not as good as the other generations, that it isn't the same.
You're right when you say it's not the same.
But that's what is brilliant about each new generation and new region, it's different.
And really it's supposed to be different.
The differences don't make it worse, in fact they can make it better if you just embrace what is different about each game.

I don't have favorites when it comes to the games.
I play each as a new experience and enjoy them equally.
Things I like in this generation may not be in the other generations, but those generations also have some to offer that isn't in the others.
Each is different and each is good.

Pokealchoholic

Pokemon Expert
Actually because of some new 4th gen evolutions i decided to catch those older pokemon that looked horrible to me such as Duskclops, tangaela(evo is still ugly, but i like it kinda), misdreavous, murkrow, yanma, Rydon, etc. These new evolutions made these pokemon look cooler and more useful. I'm not saying the pokemon of this gen look great, but they grow on you and when you need then you realize it's ok, such as my shellos, I thought i would ever catch something like that, but when the time came it was there for me and it even grew on me. So don't judge these new pokemon right away, play the game try them out and they will definitely grow on you.

This series of games are great, they are actually becoming my favorite games. The pokemon are not that ugly they just have to grow on you. The only ones that are truly not well designed are Lickilicky and ambipom.

EDIT:Couldn't say it better myself Aresol.

Last edited:

Baykunn

Its Fine...

Although some of the 4th Gen Pokemon did look like they were rushed, there are still alot of cool ones, Such as Giratina, probably one of the coolest Pokemon ever... Garchomp, Bastiodon, Darkrai, Palkia, Dialga, Empolion, and many others are awesome Pokemon... The Gyms are also cool, 4th Gen may seem dumb, but pay close attention to many things and you might change your mind... ;487-o;;411;;484;;483;;491;;395;;444;

Ammako

Unlike many other things, Pokémon is something that improves over the years.

For example, in R/B/Y, all there was to do was going on in the adventure, battling trainers/Elite 4, catch Pokémon, Game Corner and Safari Zone.

When G/S came out, there were more Pokémon, more places to explore, the graphics were better.

When Crystal came out, it added the Battle Tower to the list of available things, and the sprites of the Pokémon were better overall, and they moved at the start of the battle.

When R/S came out, they had much better graphics (They dropped the in-battle moving sprites, though.) They included many Pokémon, but most weren't catchable. They added the contests, a feature that allows you to rebattle around 60 trainers in Hoenn, and they had a better Battle Tower.

When FR/LG came out, it dropped the contests (since they weren't in R/G and they wanted FR/LG to feel like R/G.) They had better graphics and more places to explore.

When Emerald came out, it had more Pokémon to catch, better graphics, and it had a whole Battle Fronter in it.

When D/P came out, they had much better graphics since it was on the DS. There was more Pokémon to catch, they brought back the contests, added an underground, more berries, more ways to catch/evolve Pokémon, etc. It was also possible to catch almost every other Pokémon in the game (Missing only the starters and legendaries of the 1st three gens along with Tangela and Tropius, wich were transferable from the previous games.) They also included the ability to connect over the internet to battle and trade with other players! Much more convenient!

When Platinum came out, it had better graphics, more trainers to battle, more Pokémon to catch, the Vs. Recorder features, glitches corrected from D/P, one more Pokétch app. to obtain, more Pokémon in the Sinnoh Dex, and it was possible to catch EVERY Pokémon existing except the legendaries (Not counting the birds and regis) from the other gens and the starters.

Now that HG/SS are coming out, they will include more touch controls, more minigames, overwhelming changes in graphics, new story compared to G/S, more events, Pokéwalker, the legendaries missing from D/P/Pt (Lati@s? Mewtwo?)

I'm sure it's been said, but 4th gen had way too many legendaries and not enough new fire Pokemon, despite having a fire-based mountain landscape. Come on. Also, a lot of Platinum sprites look like ****. They took 2nd frames and used them as primary for waaaay too many Pokemon, most notably Raichu. Though there are some great improvements such as Darkrai, Empoleon, Infernape, Whiscash, etc, Snorlax, Lickilicky and others just destroyed my soul. Snorlax looked SO good in DP. Ughhh!

Other than that, everything was perfect. The aesthetic quality of the games overall simply continues to improve, making a very picky and particular individual like myself very happy.

2G+PN

2nd GEN+ PokéNazi
No, I got your point, but I was pointing out that your point was bull. Your point was that game developers can change very little in a game and resell it as a new game. While true in some cases, Pokemon is not one of these cases. Just look at the list I made, would lazy game developers do that much work? As for poketech, while there are a handful of not very useful parts there was also some very useful parts.

As I said you didn't get my point, I said that they COULD (NOT that they did, AND I said it is a good thing). And yes very useful parts, but not necessary.

Ammako

I'm sure it's been said, but 4th gen had way too many legendaries and not enough new fire Pokemon, despite having a fire-based mountain landscape. Come on. Also, a lot of Platinum sprites look like ****. They took 2nd frames and used them as primary for waaaay too many Pokemon, most notably Raichu. Though there are some great improvements such as Darkrai, Empoleon, Infernape, Whiscash, etc, Snorlax, Lickilicky and others just destroyed my soul. Snorlax looked SO good in DP. Ughhh!

Other than that, everything was perfect. The aesthetic quality of the games overall simply continues to improve, making a very picky and particular individual like myself very happy.

How having many legendaries is bad? I understand the Fire-type part, but I don't see where the landscape stuff is linked.

Biodragon

As I said you didn't get my point, I said that they COULD (NOT that they did, AND I said it is a good thing). And yes very useful parts, but not necessary.

Though you did sort of imply something like that, but whatever.
Also so what if it isn't absolutely necessary? As long as its useful there is no problem. I mean color isn't necessary, though it is nice.

Pokealchoholic

Pokemon Expert
superfluous evolution sums it up entirely.

There were a lot of evolutions, but those evolutions made most pokemon more appealing and useful overall. Without some of the new evolutions I would not dream of having some of the pokemon I own.
You act as if evolutions are a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.