• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do so many people hate the 4th generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zazie

So 1991
They weren't. Diamond and Pearl introduced many new features and positive changes.
Also, they have the largest number of obtainable Pokémon in a single game so far.

While there were a large number obtainable in game most of them were after the elite 4 so you couldn't use them to play through the game. Before the elite 4 the number was 150 the least amount since Gen 1 (which was excusable as there were only 150 in existance at the time).

League

Master Abra Catcher
I slightly dislike Stealth Rock and really don't like Grass Knot being TMs, as I don't like that alot of the pokemon who otherwise wouldn't get a decent grass move. Some pokemon like Empoleon just shouldn't have Grass Knot. Stealth Rock is too easy to lay down in my mind. As well, I don't like Swords Dance being a TM.

I dislike Cresselia, because I don't know how they got the idea or design for it... Heatran's typing I like, though I dislike Heatran in the same manner as Cresselia. I don't like that the trio is all psychic. I don't like there being another Fire/Fighting starter. I don't know the point of Chingling, unless it was to give Chimecho Recover (though that may be somewhat legitimate). Spiritomb is annoying, hard to get, and some other adjectives. Lastly, I dislike Togekiss and Probopass.

For contests, I hate all but the move-appeals. Dressing up a dog for a dog show would be quite ridiculous; as well, a dance appeal is equally stupid.

Everything was slow, but I wouldn't call that a generational problem.

Most everything else was good, and, even excluding the Battle Frontier, the fourth gen had more to do than probably one of every other game combined (by which I mean one of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, FR/LG, and G/S). Trading is at an unprecedented level of ease, battling is more sensible than ever (Leaf Blade = Physical, though for my favorite user this has been somewhat unfavorable), some other stuff, and yada yada. My complaints only really have to do with some pokemon typings, 1 TM in particular, dumb names and dumb designs. The 4th gen has been quite solid.

Grei

not the color
While I agree that the designs of the Pokemon haven't looked as thoughtful (they seem more like monsters than animals, and though it's Pocket Monsters, I preferred the more realistic, animal look to them), and that there were a lot of evolutions to old Pokemon in the place of actual new Pokemon, I liked Generation 4 the most.

Generation 4 brought so much new material to the table, it's mind-blowing. And quite honestly, although there were a lot of legendaries this time around, Sinnoh had a lot going into it, and it's not like any of the Legendaries in Sinnoh didn't fit.
...Save for maybe Heatran, Manaphy, and Phione.

League

Master Abra Catcher
Manaphy and Phione were fine, not really being squeezed into the game. Phione doesn't seem to me like a legend.

I like Staraptor, Chatot and Vespiquen alot. They're far better than the others who usually fill their types. Lucario is great, even though I don't use it at all. Hippowdon, Abomasnow and Spiritomb are very useful. Roserade and Electivire are very useful evolutions, quite the boosts for their stage 1 counterparts. Ambipom, Mismagius, Honchkrow are pretty great. Lastly, Gallade and Dusknoir don't hurt (I've used a Dusclops last gen but not a Dusknoir this gen...). Luxray, Floatzel, Cherrim, Drifblim, Lopunny, Drapion and Toxicroak have decent potential. The gen has been mostly favorable in battle additions and to pokemon in general, save contests.

randomspot555

4th gen is the lack of fantasy in the creation of some of the pokemon. I mean Burmy and Cherrubi, who likes that?

I think you're getting "Who likes that?" confused with "I don't like it."

And couldn't they make a fire starter with different types than exactely the same from the 3th gen?

If you bothered to look beyond the typing, you'd notice that Chimchar/Infernape and Torchic/Blaziken are very different.

I like the first generation, a classic.

Second one is awesome.

The rest are meh.

Sounds more like you grew out of Pokemon, rather than Pokemon declined in quality. It's just not what you want to play any more. I bet you wouldn't even enjoy playing Gen I and II.

While there were a large number obtainable in game most of them were after the elite 4 so you couldn't use them to play through the game.

Your point? The whole point of releasing new games is so it encourages you to play the main game with that region's Pokemon.

But someone who wants to do otherwise can still trade. You get access to the Union Room and Wi-Fi trading before the first badge, and GTS after the first badge.

I slightly dislike Stealth Rock and really don't like Grass Knot being TMs, as I don't like that alot of the pokemon who otherwise wouldn't get a decent grass move. Some pokemon like Empoleon just shouldn't have Grass Knot. Stealth Rock is too easy to lay down in my mind. As well, I don't like Swords Dance being a TM.

So...you don't like powerful moves that require strategy, and moves that are readily available as TMs suck?

I don't believe what I'm hearing. A Pokemon fan complaining about how easily obtainable an item is? If anything, MORE moves should be made available as TMs, and in a unlimited amount (purchase, daily task, etc...)

I dislike Cresselia, because I don't know how they got the idea or design for it

It's purpose is explained right there in the game.

Everything was slow, but I wouldn't call that a generational problem.

Turn off animations, text speed to fast. Plat greatly improves on this. The text moves faster, and surf is too.

Manaphy and Phione were fine, not really being squeezed into the game. Phione doesn't seem to me like a legend.

Phione is a Legendary Pokemon, as confirmed by Pokemon.com.

There's a lot less whining in these posts. I'm glad many of you are coming around to the idea of...*gasp*, actually enjoying a game! Congratulations.

RifleAvenger

See you starside
I certainly have an empty feeling sometimes about this game, but I realize that's because of me, not Pokemon. I still appreciate Pokemon and some other games from my childhood, and I really feel attached to several tunes in each game; in platinum I love the MusicBox remix of TwinLeaf. I don't find the legends troublesome, in fact they've served as fodder for my (terrible) fanfic, which I do when I finish preparing my weekly D&D meetings for my players (and my job exc.). Yet I find Time for pokemon, because even if I don't feel fully in sync with it anymore, it still has meaning for me. 4th Gen is no exception; I hate some of the new pokemon's looks, but most of them have legit usages or might be appealing to younger players or somebody. I've learned in the time I've owned platinum, almost one month now, to get over my negative feelings and enjot pokemon for what it is, which hasn't changed much since 1st gen beyond some game mechanics, and it should stay that way. They've provided in-game challenges that will hold me over for sometime, and there's always the WiFi for competitive beofre, which wasn't there before. In terms of what you can do, there's more stuff then ever. Sometimes I feel a longing for the days I could find someone on the street my age you loves pokemon as much as I, but I've learned to imagine and then write down for myself my fantasies related to pokemon, not try to force my feelings or ideas upon others, certainly not kids who have yet to experience pokemon and whose continuing response to the franchise as it is has kept it alive. The 4th Gen does as much right as it could, there is no perfect game. Look past the nogastalia and hating on the system, you and I loved it ten years ago and it still works, and I at least still love it. When I want more, I write or look for an appropraite fanfic relating for what I need, or I imagine things (like my character being my age, not 10). That way Pokemon stays the way it should be, the way that works, for everyone else and the next generation of players; as much as older gamers should be respected (and we are) its the new kids that matter, and they have a right to experience pokemon for what it is, not what we who've already had that pleasure think it should become. That's all I have to say, and I'd say most players love, or at least respect, the 4th Gen.

P.S. Stealth Rock is a great move, it's spikes that actually hit threats like Mence. Grass Know is a grass type version of low kick that extends the movepool of that type of move, and actually hits ghosts. They're both great moves.

Last edited:

Zazie

So 1991
Your point? The whole point of releasing new games is so it encourages you to play the main game with that region's Pokemon.

It means there are less options. For a game franchise where the ability to collect and battle a large number of creatures is the main selling point less options is not a good thing. A lot of the new evolutions weren't available before the elite 4 so they weren't exactly promoting all the new designs that much as well. The fact that they that this was corrected in Platinum means that the Gamefreak themselves probably thought this needed fixing themselves.

Last edited:

Carbon

What is this I don't
I honestly can't wait for the next setting to be in Johto. Having to learn a whole new map layout gets somewhat frustrating.

In HG and SS I hope to be able to look down at my tiny screen and go:

"Holy crap I remember this place!"

Vernikova

Champion
The complaint that I hear the most from people I know is that the designs of the Pokémon aren't that good. I admit that there are some designs that I don't like such as Chimchar. That certainly doesn't stop me from enjoying the 4th Generation though. Outside of designs though, I don't hear much complaining.

randomspot555

It means there are less options.

It means during the main game/pre national dex, there are the options of the new region. Otherwise, what's the point in buying the game if you're just going to use the same population of Pokemon from before?

For a game franchise where the ability to collect and battle a large number of creatures is the main selling point less options is not a good thing.

There's a whole region of Pokemon to use. Less of one type, sure, but fire types are not extremely common anyway.

The fact that they that this was corrected in Platinum means that the Gamefreak themselves probably thought this needed fixing themselves.

More likely less to "fix" than to give Plat a new selling point.

bostonstyxboy

Music Man
I really disliked the pokemon they created and some of the evolutions they made. No offense, but Tangrowth, Ambipom, and Lickylicky should have just stayed in the minds of the creators.
I did like the story, but I did not like the mythology created. Sinnoh is the center of the PokeWorld, you say? Why didn't we start there, then? I'm just tired of the legendary pokemon creation stories. I mean, Red/Blue had Mewtwo and the Birds; they were not gods or masters of an element (like space/time/water/land/sky).
Lastly, Pokemon Battle Revolution had some of the worst graphics I have ever seen. I would have much preferred they take another year to perfect it rather than just throw something else out.

All these things said, I still really liked a lot of the 4th generation. Wifi was a brilliant addition. It really expanded the range of the game. The gyms were good, and the trainers good. Platinum lost a few points with me because it reduced Battle Frontier to 5 areas rather than Emerald's 7, but I can get over it. (especially with all of the 5 having multiplayer options!)

The only real issue I've had with the pokemon games (not just the fourth gen) is the number of seemingly-'useless' electric pokemon in the early-to-mid game. Plusle, Minun, Pachirisu, basically. I understand that they're basically fillers, but I can't help but to think that just giving up the Pikachu or replacing 'em with some sorta fire type in the fourth gen would've been a better route to go. Other than that... Well, for me, I like the 4th gen overall. I don't even mind Bidoof (easy Atk EVs, after all) so much, though it does seem redundant when we've already got pokemon like Rattata, Sentret, and Zigzagoon. The same could be said about a bunch of the pokemon we got this generation.

I do have a few minor gripes: Many of the TMs are one-time deals, which really hurts. Or, in some cases, you either play the slot machines forever or even worse, shell out over 200,000 in-game money to buy yourself a new TM24 (or, in some cases, even more). It'd be good to have a TM seller that changes inventory every couple days or week or so. Maybe I haven't gotten to this point yet, but bulk-purchases of the drinks (fresh water, soda, and lemonade) would be useful as well.

Some evolutions (and a pre-evo), I'm not a fan of. That doesn't mean they don't have their place somehow... Lickylicky, Chingling, Tangrowth, and Probopass, basically. That's just my personal opinion, though I can at least see Chingling as okay. The creation stories are a bit annoying but it's alright- how are they gonna top this for Gen 5? Destruction stories? Creation of Pokemon type story?

Wifi is nice (but removing the trade requirements information for GTS in Platinum was a bad idea). One thing I'm tired of is the Electric gyms, it's time to toss something else in their place next time.

I've been playing since my original Pokemon Blue gave me a Mew (alpha releases were great back then). Played through pretty much all of the games, for that matter, on the GB Pocket, GBA, GBA SP, and now the DS Lite. Though I wouldn't touch the real original generation with a ten foot pole compared to the third gen, I think I'd happily play GSC again thanks to my fond memories of it. Generation 3 wasn't bad (I hated the text in Ruby and Sapphire, however), but Emerald fixed that and added a lot more to the game as well. The fourth gen, of which I now play Platinum, is a game that I must admit that I am thoroughly enjoying... even if I've only won one online battle against a friend (and it was a fluke, of course), it's just that and having fun.

What can I say? After ten years, I'm still enjoying the series.

80's Rocker

Fire Tamer
For me the pokemon did not fit in very well. In all the prior versions they all just seem to fit in and feel like pokemon to me. When I had a look at the 4th gen something just didnt feel right, they looked like fan made fakes to me and the whole thing just felt so different, I honestly can say this was my least favorite gen, and I am very excited that HG and SS are coming so that we get 2 regions to roam.

Lucazard

Spoof Man™
The reasons I dislike the 4th gen is it is so shallow and a little too easy now. Going back to Gold and Silver, Fire Red and LeafGreen. My earliest games they were, they seemed captivating in the brand new places and it was more challenging, you will always need to figure out where you are. The new Pokemon, I guess are okay but too many of them are pre and evolvutions of past pokemon......

elite ralf

I like 4th gen. The only thing that still makes it unlikeable so far for the past generations is.......drum roll please: EVENT-only obtainable pokemon.... lol and I've got to agree, 4th gen's top gun would be Wi-Fi.

EDIT: to answer your question, I think the reason why so many people hated 4th gen is that they expected so much, including me, and still didn't get what we wanted..

Last edited:

RLinksoul

I like the fourth generation, but four words never cease to irritate me.

SAVING ALOT OF DATA... Oy.

Aside from that my only complaint is the blurry 3Dish graphics, I tend to walk more than ride bike in the games because of it and the DS lite's own blur issues.

ungulateman

Miltank Man!
Bidoof.

[/thread]

10char

The 4th generation of Pokemon is OK along with the 3rd gen.
But the first gen will always be the best, classic Pokemon such as Charizard, Pikachu, Dragonite, Lapras etc I could go on for ages.
I think some people are just annoyed with giving some older Pokemon evolutions that were not needed.

maxim565

Absolute Defender
the 4th generation made some evolution of those pokemon who doesnt evolve in previous generation. I think that make sense.

Look, there are sooo many new pokemon in Hoenn, and you expect to add them more in Sinnoh? I dont think so. It is still a trouble collecting 493 pokemon, and its going to be worse if you add some more.

The evos are like, Ambipom, Electivire, Gallade, Leafeon, Mamoswine, Rhyperior blah blah etc. Its not that bad.

in 3rd and previous generation, they lack in fossil pokemon. A guy like me is really happy in the 4th generations underground fossil searching.

and Probopass... why all of you hate it? Its one of my fav pokemon... I dont think its that bad..

Status
Not open for further replies.