• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do so many people hate the 4th generation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adeku

Formerly Torterra14
Precisely. So many of these complaints against the modern games dissolve into what is essentially "idk" that they're hard to take seriously.

Yeah your right... I was just saying a theory of why I thought it was hated so much. <.<

Think Togepi

Here I Am.
The ONLY reason why I have any hate toward the 4th generation. Is the Pokemon. They're boring, it seems like the game creators ran out of ideas.

BCVM22

Precisely. So many of these complaints against the modern games dissolve into what is essentially "idk" that they're hard to take seriously.

The ONLY reason why I have any hate toward the 4th generation. Is the Pokemon. They're boring, it seems like the game creators ran out of ideas.

Case in point. "Boring." "They ran out of ideas." It's the same unprovable arguments over and over again.

randomspot555

I don't think so. I'd bet that there is almost no-one out there who played G/S and didn't like it.

If this board was around 10 years ago, I'm sure everyone posting would've hated it and "should have just quit with R/B/Y, those were the days" would be the talking point of the Ruined Forever crowd.

With 4th gen (mainly Diamond and Pearl),
people like it cause it was better than 3rd gen,

Heaven forbid people like or dislike a game based on it's own merits.

Why does everyone have to like-dislike by comparison? Is it possible for many of you posters to play a game and rate it on it's own standards?

but some people, as myself, expected to much, and it came up a little short.

So you set unrealistic expectation and they weren't met? That's a surprise.

Also, I think there isn't much to do for the casual gamer,

The casual gamer is just playing the Gym+E4 storyline and might do a bit of the post-game crap like catch Heatran. That's the casual gamer.

There's just as much for the casual gamer here than there is in any other Pokemon title.

and there isn't much you can do after beating the Elite Four (Excluding Wi-Fi).

Yes, if you exclude the biggest option available (which involves trading, battling, and mini games. downloading events, and many more), there sure isn't a lot to do, except:

• The several Pokemon still waiting to be caught post E4, including a number of legendary Pokemon.
  • Battle Tower/HUGE Battle Frontier
  • Breeding
  • Ds-to-DS Battling and trading
  • Completing the Pokedex
  • Pal-Park
  • Chaining
  • Catching all the Unown

Seriously, why say "Except Wi-Fi." That's like saying "Well 2nd gen is kinda crap cuz it didn't do anything new except breeding and dark types."

So remaking everyone's favorite, and just bringing it up to speed wouldn't really hurt it, only if they do some drastic changes.

What is this even talking about, or how is it relevant?

I think it is hated because some of the ideas for Pokemon were dry so they had to resort to evolutions of previous generations of Pokemon.

Ah, great, the "running out of ideas" post again.

Because Gen I had amazing ideas like a cat Pokemon called "Meoth." Or guess what real-world animal "Pidgey" is based off of? But Staraptor and Glameow are lumped in with "running out of ideas", whereas Pidgey and Meowth are "the classics."

See above.

If you honestly think they're running out of ideas, I'd like to show you a game. IT's called Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. It has 107 new Pokemon + a bunch of new forms.

Think Togepi

Here I Am.
If you honestly think they're running out of ideas, I'd like to show you a game. IT's called Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, and Platinum. It has 107 new Pokemon + a bunch of new forms.

That's more than one game. That's three.
And I don't give a rats *** if it has 107 new Pokemon.
I still think that they're boring

Zazie

So 1991
If this board was around 10 years ago, I'm sure everyone posting would've hated it and "should have just quit with R/B/Y, those were the days" would be the talking point of the Ruined Forever crowd.

Quoted for truth. A lot of people dislike 2nd gen and stopped playing pokemon when it came out. A lot of them probably did so more because of what BCVM22 said: they outgrew it.

I do think there is a little more to the endless coplaints than people outgrowing the series though as most other video game series get this kind of whining.

ChedWick

I think the American poke-fad has dwindled because of the increasing effort to get Americans to buy American products. The Government tells parents foreign products are bad, the naive majority believe it, enforce it on their kids, who then make fun of those with it, calling the nerds and losers, all to enforce the kids who play it to want to fit in. Thus, the craze for it has dwindled. But I stand string (I don't go around telling people I play it, though. They don't understand anything)

Lol! I just noticed this post and I cant seem to wrap myself around it at all. Kid you truly made me shed a few tears from laughter. I applaud you. Few people can do this.

Think Togepi

Here I Am.
They're the same generation and the same region; for all intents and purposes, Diamond and Pearl at least count as the same game.

Ah huh. And can you support this opinion with... anything?
And it's still three seperate games.

It's an opinion. Why the hell do I need support?
That's the way that I see them. Boring.
I don't need support for that.

ChedWick

That's the way that I see them. Boring.
I don't need support for that.

A reasonable rationale would help when stating an opinion. One phrase "opinions" / phrases are rather unsettling and annoying to have to think about.

Rainy_Day

Swimmer
Well folks, I think that about wraps things up. "Why do so many people hate the 4th generation?" The answer is: bad taste.

So, let's wait around for HG/SS to be released so people can complain some more because "things were changed!!!1one" or "the new sprites make the Pokemon look deformed/unlike they did originally!!!1one"

BCVM22

So, let's wait around for HG/SS to be released so people can complain some more because "things were changed!!!1one" or "the new sprites make the Pokemon look deformed/unlike they did originally!!!1one"

And you know those are coming.

randomspot555

Wait.

"I think [insert whiny opinion here]" and "They're running out of ideas" are different.

One is an opinion, one is a lie.

Same gen. Essentially the same game.

because this is a discussion forum, not Twitter.

Bobby Frank JR

Mewy Christmas!
It's a great gen but I haven't really played gen 2 yet and I think people are judging it against that.

Rainy_Day

Swimmer

Okay, well since all of the Pokemon are in each game, we'll just use one game as an example. Happy?

Okay. I think American Football is boring. Does that affect the actual quality of the sport, credibility of its fans, or anyone else besides myself at all? Absolutely not. We're trying to have an actual discussion here, which means you're going to have to do more than say "it's this way because I think it is." Opinions are nice, but they're worthless when it comes to anything besides your personal feelings on a matter.

Zazie

So 1991
Same gen. Essentially the same game.

There is a big enough difference between D/P and Platinum where they can be considered different games for the purpose of this thread. Platinum made a lot of improvements to Diamond and Pearl such as faster surfing speed, bigger national dex (which in trun led to more fire types and gym leaders that used their types) and a lot of additions that increased replay value. Almost all of the complaints about D/P not regarding the new pokemon are fixed by Platinum.

Last edited:

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
I personally don't have a problem woth the 4th generation. however, i do feel that the evolutions for all the unevolving pokemon (Magmar, Electabuzz, Sneasel, Murkrow, etc.) were kinda overdone, though i liked some of them. i actually liked the variety of legendaries. it made it more interesting trying to collect all the event pokemon. the thing that bugged me most in the games was that all of the generated cries sounded really similar. it was a little annoying how it just sounded like the same types of sounds only distorted in some way, unlike the older games with more variety in my opinion. i wasn't too crazy about the 4th generation, but after i got used to the new Pokemon, its turned out to be one of my favorite games. i do hope in the next generation, they put more time and thought into the designs of the pokemon because i do agree with the previous posters that a good number of the new Pokemon look a bit rushed.

ShadowSplash

Spring is Coming!
I personally don't have a problem woth the 4th generation. however, i do feel that the evolutions for all the unevolving pokemon (Magmar, Electabuzz, Sneasel, Murkrow, etc.) were kinda overdone, though i liked some of them. i actually liked the variety of legendaries. it made it more interesting trying to collect all the event pokemon. the thing that bugged me most in the games was that all of the generated cries sounded really similar. it was a little annoying how it just sounded like the same types of sounds only distorted in some way, unlike the older games with more variety in my opinion. i wasn't too crazy about the 4th generation, but after i got used to the new Pokemon, its turned out to be one of my favorite games. i do hope in the next generation, they put more time and thought into the designs of the pokemon because i do agree with the previous posters that a good number of the new Pokemon look a bit rushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.