1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why do so many people say they struggled with Totem Lurantis?

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Generation VII Discussion' started by NovaBrunswick, Mar 20, 2018.

?

Did you find Totem Lurantis hard?

1. Oh yeah, I did! It was HARD!

21 vote(s)
    40.4%
  2. It was half and half

23 vote(s)
    44.2%
  3. Nah, it was easy

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. NovaBrunswick

NovaBrunswick Canada Connoisseur

When talking about which Alola Island Trials were the hardest, people will often say they struggled in Mallow's Trial with Totem Lurantis.

But why is this? I didn't find Lurantis that hard, but that's probably just because I chose Litten as my starter.

2. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Happy Minun

It depends on your team. Solar Blade can hit surprisingly hard for that stage in the game and Lurantis also has recovery with Synthesis in the sun. You also can't status it while sun is up because of Leaf Guard. In Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon it also gets Kecleon as an ally which has Ancientpower. Kecleon doesn't hit exceptionally hard but it does give a lot of coverage to stuff that normally is good against Grass types like fire, bug, ice, and flying types.

3. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko Bringing you joy... and adorableness. <3

I won't doubt those who say it was hard because I'm sure not many of them used an overleveled Attack/Speed invested Hawlucha to nuke it on the first turn with Supersonic Skystrike.

4. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded Ask me anything

Yeah. Solar Blade and I'd argue Castform were some of the main issues.

Now if you had a high level Torracat with a non -atk nature and Inferno Overdrive, all the would have been challenge gets thrown out the window.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  5. NovaBrunswick

Torracat (now Incineroar) was the reason I mostly took down Lurantis easily. Trumbeak/Castform were the ones who made it a little hard.

Lurantis is now a main member of my team in Sun, though I may replace him with Tsareena in Ultra Sun.

6. Saberu

Saberu Well-Known Member

I second that castform was what made it hard. Sun support plus a fire type backing it up was terrifying. It's the first time I actually lost in Sun. When I came back, it called a Trumbeak instead, and that was much easier.

7. Victreebong

Victreebong Gives 'em the slip..

Araquinid was more of a bear at that point for me. Rain Dance, Water Bubble, STAB, lack of grass types (besides starter and Flomantis), 2 on 1 = lots of pain. I did get an early Wacan Berry out of it, but I had to sack my Noibat for the good of the team.

Said Noibat didn’t give two ***** about Lurantis.

NovaBrunswick likes this.
  8. NovaBrunswick

I still haven't gotten around to playing US/UM yet, but I'm choosing Litten again, so Araquanid might be a little tricky to deal with. I'm planning to have Hawlucha as part of my US team though, as you can see in my signature.

Araquanid is Water/Bug, so Grass types wouldn't do much good anyway.

9. Victreebong

Victreebong Gives 'em the slip..

I had Trumbeak at that point, but getting Wacan early was my goal. Naturally the spider went HAM as soon as it could. It’s a lot of pressure early on, but there’s also Wishiwashi as the Totem Pokémon. That’s just a little less intense.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  10. NovaBrunswick

What's HSM? Apart from High School Musical, of course... ;)

I can't say much for Araquanid, but School Form Wishiwashi was a little bit of a challenge if you didn't catch a Pichu or chose Rowlet (who was most likely a Dartrix at this point) at the beginning.

11. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

I just used a Salandit to Poison it and then switched to Decidueye to deal out damage using Sinister Arrow Raid, Spirit Shackle, and one other move I can’t remember in Ultra Sun. I do remember that Rotomdex allowed me to use a Z Move again which really helped me out.

12. NovaBrunswick

Rotomdex lets you use two Z-Moves in a battle now? I don't remember that in the original Sun. o_O

13. Captain Jigglypuff

USUM lets it happen. Rotom has to be really happy and you use a Rotom Power first. And then a special animation may occur after yyou use a Z Move.

14. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria 4th anniversary of ORAS, 16th anniversary of RS

Some reasons why a couple of people found Totem Lurantis difficult were it used Synthesis in the sun as a result from summoning Castform in SM and Comfey in USUM, which let it heal 3/4 HP instead of 1/2 HP, or were at a serious type disadvantage like using Brionne against it (not saying you shouldn't pick Popplio, but you still at least compensate with other Pokémon), and I remember taking Totem Lurantis out after two Beak Blasts from Toucannon in Ultra Sun. And luckily then it didn't summon Comfey and summoned Kecleon instead so I didn't have to worry about the sun.

15. Pikasaur

Pikasaur The Original

I had trouble because of Sun boosted Solar Blade. Both Dartrix and Grimer struggled, even though they resist it.

I don't remember clearly, but i think i had to spam Super potions on Dartrix to chip away at it's health.

It was much easier in US/UM with Supersonic Skystrike available early.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
  16. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Well-Known Member

Totem Lurantis isn't to difficult if you have a type advantage over it. Just need a powerful Flying or Fire type and then use the respective Z-Move to widdle its health down.

17. Captain Jigglypuff

I took advantage of the Rotom Powers as well. I had a lot of the HP Restore and a Boost along with a couple of PP Restore. I strangely kept getting HP Restore for awhile every time I did the Loto. At one point I ended up with around 25 of them.

18. CapybaraMage

CapybaraMage Member

In Moon I chose Popplio (Brionne at the time), and my other Pokémon were a Lycanroc (Midday), Fomantis, and male Salandit. So with two Pokémon directly weak to Lurantis, my third weak to both sunny Castform and Trumbeak, and my only saving grace as an unevolved, fragile little lizard, it was... annoying—to say the least. I honestly don’t even remember how I managed to beat the darn thing.

19. Sprinter1988

Sprinter1988 Well-Known Member

I think its partially down to luck. The firs time I played through Sun the Lurantis summoned a Trumbeak and while its Supersonic was annoying I was able to work around it to get through the trial reasonably well.
    The second time I played through, Lurantis summoned Castform and it was a whole lot harder once that little git used Sunny Day

20. raichu27

raichu27 Well-Known Member

I think it was half and half. I've used my Salazzle to battle it.

Kage-Pikachu and NovaBrunswick like this.