• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do so many people secretly like pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infinity

Gone...
The one thing that'll make the difference in this will be D/P pokémon will always be a treasure to me. Stand up for what you believe in...

Wisdom is folly to others.

On topic: There are many trainers out there, but few are bold enough to stand up and say I like pokémon without fear of being ridiculed.

Puffs

...NINE-THOUSAND!!!!
When other kids think about Pokemon, they think about "Pikachu's Vacation", happy-bunny kiddy stuff, etc.

But when I think about Pokemon, I think about "Balance of Power", strategic battles, etc.

It's all a matter of how deep your willing to think about it. But rarely do you see a kid think about tolerance at all in my school.

Kids at my school love sports, a lot of sports are won with strategy. If only they knew how much strategy it took to at least get half way to a Frontier Brain. This is a conversation I had with a kid my age once:

Kid: Pokemon is nothing like football. Football is hard and takes training and brain power. *makes stupid, childish voice* Oh noes, a Plant pokey-man! I'll just send out my fire guy!
Me: *explains Ludicolo, especially with maxed Sp. Def EVs*
Kid: ......shut up geek

I think it's mainly about eliminating the other guy to come out on top. So the kid uses strategy to win in football, but doesn't even try to debate my strategic abilities.

japala

Zephyr Trainer
I dont tell anyone I like pokemon but a few of my friends asked what I was playing. When I told them I was playing pokemon all they said was oh. Somebody quoted Dr. Seuess in their sig and it said something like people who matter dont care and people who care dont matter. I think thats true.

J

jynx

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Yet again I say it's not just the dub. I'm not sure why people think that the dub is so much more kiddie than the original, because that's not the case here.
But generally the "Pokemon population" in English speaking countries are younger than the others!

S

Storm the Knight

I personally know a lot of people my age (14) and older who still love Pokémon. I have a pal (he's about 17) he sits and talks with me about things like how much Furret and Eevee are underrated normal types. My brother (22) even understands the strategy involved.

kennychan007

Saiyan-Human Warrior
Pokemon is my love, because the monsters are strong . The skill are funny and powerful. Ash, Misty, May, Brock and Max are the great heroes. Ash is the King of Heroes . Ash 's Pokemons are powerful, it defeats many trainers.And he complete a lot of missions

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
jynx said:
But generally the "Pokemon population" in English speaking countries are younger than the others!

Around here, it seems to average 12/13. That seems to be a little *older*.

Lord wackruntlje

Speed up, n00b!
Well, if a adualt you never met before saw you playing and asked what you are playing would it sound logical if you explained that you catch and train diffrent kind of sorts of animal? I think the person would think its people like me is making crazy-houses necesary:(

L

Lance_Is_King

well if anyibe tries ti make fun of me i just punch them and if there stronger i just waalk away i dont care its a fun game.

ShiningClefairy

Meteor Trainer
Because everyone is insecure over here in the states. Just yesterday on the bus, my friends were getting laughed at for watching Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece, and Pokemon. I think very poorly of the people who make fun of other people for such lame reasons...

Z

Zahi

Here in Nigeria, it isn't as popular as it was in the 90's but people still do play it and nobody makes fun of you (at all). It's like any other game here.

kerokero

Banned
ShiningClefairy said:
Because everyone is insecure over here in the states. Just yesterday on the bus, my friends were getting laughed at for watching Yu-Gi-Oh, One Piece, and Pokemon. I think very poorly of the people who make fun of other people for such lame reasons...[/Q

In my meta, nobody cares if u like pokemon or not. The game has so much respect that it's not even funny. Three things r really popular in my area right now, and those r anime, duelmasters, and pokemon. The game has so much background in it. If u were 2 do a google search on Satoshi Tajiri, da creator of pokemon and read his interviews, then u'll see that he was picked on as a kid too, when he would try and collect bugs. But he stayed strong, and he based his past horrors on one of the greatest franchises EVER made in history.

G

Geki

I don't hide the fact that I like Pokemon. I'll play my GBA at school, and too my surprise, many people will ask to play. I also tell people I watch the anime and they say cool or ''You Actually like that!?!?!?''. I reply ''Yup'', I don't care. If I like it, I like it. I'm not going to hide the fact that I like Pokemon. And if people don't like it, **** Em'.

legendaryrider

Soul Trainer
Zahi said:
This can be proven if u look at sales. While every single game of pokemon was very succesfull, if u look around every1 will tell u they hate it.

Well if people are like me and have my type of school then they lie to not get their face's puched in.

D

dark eevee

at my school now that everyone knows i like pokemon they always make fun of me so people are probaly embarrased so they dont tell anyone

TyraniRay

Dragon Master
This reminds me of something that happened earlier this year.

The last period of Friday, in English (we've got this really good teacher that doesn't give a **** what we do as long as we complete our work, which works for me!), this guy called Chris, he' somekind of gangsta if you know what I mean (ie. purposely acts tough).

Well, he asked to play my DS, and me, being kind of generous that day, let him. I was assuming he was playing Metroid. Then he pipes up asking why I hadn't evolved Houndour, even though it's way past Lv:26. Exactly how he knew what level it evolves at is a mystery, but the fact that he did almost exactly what I wanted to do after I told him I needed Crunch as soon as possible (get Crunch as early as possible, then evolve for the hell of it).

When I got the DS back, I had a Lv:53 Houndoom, which was originaly at Lv:31, and most of my other pokemon had gone up at least one. That pretty much says he knows where the PKMN League is in Hoenn, knows how to stop Pokemon from evolving, how to battle VERY effectively (my friend was watching a bit) and he wasn't blindly doing crap. Now that is weird for someone who supposedly has never played Pokemon in his life (and never will), as he stated when I told him what I was playing two weeks earlier.

It makes you wonder how many people actually do play Pokemon.

Angel-FoX-crescent

Moon Fennec Angel
Shiny_Latias said:
I think you already know the answer, they are ashamed because everyone think it's childish.. i blame the anime series (-_-)''

Aside from a couple of my good friends know no one at college knows I like pokemon... otherwise I'd get no peace.

pikapete

Gyarados Hunter
Me and my mate play Pokemon at University in Exeter, UK (we're both 21) and don't care what anyone thinks about us. I even wear a pokemon t-shirt sometimes!

blob

Where I live, no-one likes Pokémon. :(

I have been looking soo hard.

PS If anyone here goes to Kevicc/comes from Totnes can you tell me ASAP. (England, Devon)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.