• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do the types interact the way they do?

Saturnidae

Bugs!! :3
Grass absorbs water.
Water extinguishes fire.
Fire burns Grass.

I think, at the most simplistic level, pokemon type interactions are supposed to make a certain amount of sense. However, as one deviates from the obvious fire, water, grass triangle, things tend to become a little more confusing. For instance;

Why is Bug super effective to Dark?
While many would argue that this is because bugs are able to see/ are not afraid of the dark, if one considers the Japanese name of the dark type, this no longer makes sense. In Japan, Darks are instead known as "aku" or "evil" type.
So why should Bugs beat Evil? Are bugs Good? I think they are, but in general, insects and other arthropods ("bugs") are not portrayed as being good or evil, thus making this relationship very difficult to understand.

Why is Poison not very effective, and indeed weak to, Psychic?
This is one of, if not the most, odd relationships in pokemon. Most of the weaknesses of the Psychic type are based off common fears. Many people are morbidly afraid of the dark (evil), bugs, and ghosts. Why then, is the psychic- poison relationship what we have now? Are people not often afraid of poison? Indeed, I believe many are more afraid of poison and poisonous things (like snakes) than they are bugs or the dark! I cannot understand this edge psychic has over poison.

Why is Fairy immune to Dragon?
I'm going to ignore all the obvious mechanical reasons this exists, like nerfing dragons ect.
This is a very odd relationship, and it's very possible that I could be missing something, my expertise is in the natural world, and I know little of mythology. That being said... when a level 100 Hydreigon rains down incredibly powerful meteors onto the head of a level 1 Togepi....
It does nothing.
How... why? Did all that tremendous force just... magically miss the Togepi? Did it somehow endure being crushed by a rain of dragonic meteors?
I am very confused.

Why does fairy resist bug?
No... really .... Why?? T_T

Last edited:

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Psychic beats poison because some toxins were manmade and cures for poisoning can be created

There are plenty of myths of Fairy magic being immune and being able to kill dragons, Excalibur is a good example since it was made by the magic of fairies.

I forgot about Bug and Dark but I remember it had something to do with a proverb that dirty tactics has no effect against a hive mind... that's all I can think of

Saturnidae

Ah, That's a very good one. Perhaps this explains why Psychic is super effective to Poison, it is "curing" the poison with knowledge, but it does not explain why it resists poison.

Hmmm Like I said, I know very little of this subject, I do not even know what Excalibur is. So I shall take your word for it.

Yes, that does make a certain amount of sense, though since a hive mentality is pretty rare among insects, I prefer to word it as "insects do not know good from evil, and are thus unafraid of it." Ha! That's it! Isn't fear where evil gets it's power? But in that case... grass, steel, and rock should all trump dark as well...

Another weird one....
why is Ghost weak to Dark?

Saturnidae

Hmmm I always thought that was "birds eat seeds.." But of course, both the flying and the grass types are much more complex than that. Perhaps it's along the lines of "the wind blows the trees" or "wind blows seeds/ leaves where it wants."
But yeah, I'm still going with birds- seeds X3

Speaking of flying, why is flying good against fighting? o-o

NeptuneCloyster

Squadallah
That's a really puzzling one, I always assumed they just couldn't reach, but that would be more for a resistace than a supereffectiveness...

Saturnidae

Hmmm, I'm thinking something like... *you cannot karate chop the air*
Because I kind of feel like flying has two sides, one is the *anything with wings* type, and the other is *wind/air* type

Saturnidae

Hmmm You got a point there! Uhh, hmm well most fighting types have a humanoid appearance, and most humanoids cannot fly... so a grounded thing is at a disadvantage against something that can fly?
That is a hard one XD

Ah, That's a very good one. Perhaps this explains why Psychic is super effective to Poison, it is "curing" the poison with knowledge, but it does not explain why it resists poison.

Fun fact: it doesn't. I use my Mega Venusaur's Sludge Bomb on Diantha's Mega Gardevoir all the time, and it does super-effective damage. ^^'

Another weird one....
why is Ghost weak to Dark?

All I can really think of is that Dark-types, in reference to how they are called "evil" in Japanese, disturb the peace of the spirits which are represented by Ghost-types. This isn't to say, however, that all Ghost-type Pokémon are peaceful spirits, as evident by really wicked ones such as Gengar, Chandelure, Giratina, and even Rotom. However, many of them have some level of tranquility to them, such as how Trevenant cares for the Pokémon that live inside of it's body, and how Dusknoir takes lost spirits and sends them to their eternal resting place.

This is all conjecture, though, so feel free to question or contradict it.

Saturnidae

It Doesn't???
Well.. I learn something new everyday!

I was thinking something like "ghosts are wayward spirits, so darkness corrupts them" But yours makes alot of sense too.

It's essentially what I said, but I like the way you explain it better. ^^

As for Fighting-types being resisted by, and weak to, Flying-types... well, I'm sure that if a sumo wrestler tried to fight a large bird that could fly at incredible speeds and stayed airborne the entire time, I'm sure the sumo wrestler would not only leave mere scratches on the bird, but also take more damage because the bird can deal more damage. Plus, grounded fighters, for the most part, have very little experience with trying to fight airborne opponents.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
i was thinking about this fairy beats dragon could refer to david beats goliath

as you can see david is the fairy and goliath is the dragon

it does make sense right

Dormant

I'M A TREE RAWR
Fun fact: it doesn't. I use my Mega Venusaur's Sludge Bomb on Diantha's Mega Gardevoir all the time, and it does super-effective damage. ^^'

That's because it's part Fairy type. Fairy types are weak against poison. I think heard at one point, poison and iron kills fairies in folklore, and Dragons are usually defeated in fairy tales so yeah.

Last edited:

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
That's because it's part Fairy type. Fairy types are weak against poison. I think heard at one point, poison and iron kills fairies in folklore, and Dragons are usually defeated in fairy tales so yeah.

The poster proably knows, only pointing out that Psychic doesn't resist Poison.

True, but in some folklore Bugs beat Dragons and Fairies alike, and fire destroys Fairies, yet those two aren't incorporated.
Well, Fire is, to an extent, since Fire resiss Airy, but, yeah.

Saturnidae

Bug should have been super effective to fairy.

Mew The Gato

True, but in some folklore Bugs beat Dragons and Fairies alike, and fire destroys Fairies, yet those two aren't incorporated.
Well, Fire is, to an extent, since Fire resiss Airy, but, yeah.

If some folklore is incorporated, it does not mean all folklore has to be.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
oh yeah i want to share some information that i know
dragon is ineffective to steel its because steel are like pillars to dragons in a way they can't be taken down
bug i think is effective to psychic i think its because they can pass through ultrasonic waves(yeah some sort of like that)

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
Well...I have a few ideals too.

Steel can break ice and rock and is immune to poison because toxins cannot penetrate metal. Still don't get it being strong to fairy though...

Ground can easily break apart rock and steel. And also can disrupt magnetic fields and doesn't conduct electricity, hence being strong against electric.

Dark is strong against psychic due to underhanded tactics/dirty tricks which can hinder a psychic's focus(?). I guess the bug weakness comes from most insects being able to see/hunt in darkness.

Fairy resisting bug must be, according to most storybooks and folklore, them being primarily in forests and woodlands, where they live among the wildlife, that includes bugs, so i guess they are used to being around them(?) As with the dragon immunity, yeah, i'm stumped! My guess is that their magic is potent enough to be able to overpower such a beast. Or maybe dragons are just reluctant to bring harm to them, for they fear being punished by the faerie's peers?

What about water resisting steel? That one i'm not quite sure about how that works...