• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do the Writers make Pokémon who "won't evolve?" or just don't evolve

WarriorX

Why do the Writers make Pokémon who "won't evolve?" or just don't evolve

I am confused as to why the writers of the animé make Pokémon like Pikachu and Piplup not evolve (Also pokémon like Totodile, Gible who aren't evolved). The animé's main purpose is supposed to advertise the games, correct? Well, in the games EVERYONE playing them fully evolves their pokémon. You won't see anyone playing the games in Sunyshore city with a Piplup, no it'll be an Empoleon. Sure, there's "mascot" purpose but why the hell can't they have mascots that are actually fully evolved? What are you guys' thoughts?

poizonsting

Pokemon master
Pikachu is the mascot of the Pokemon franchise, and keeping in mind that the show is actually intended for 10 year-old kids they need cute looking mascots, not ugly and macho looking Raichu. Same goes for Empoleon I guess

randomspot555

Because the evolutions can still be shown by random characters or reoccurring ones.

Also, evolution isn't a cut-and-dry issue in the anime as it is in the games. Considerations on how it effects the Pokemon. physically and mentally, need to be made. Ash wouldn't let Gligar evolve until he was sure he was ready to become a Gliscor.

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
Ash makes Pikachu eat ground up light balls so it becomes uber powerful, and Piplup, because Dawns a co-ordinator, for her a Pokemon's strength means less than if it can dance... etc.

FlameRose

It's all based on popularity. Piplup is more popular with the kids then prinplup and empoleon are, so they keep it unevolved. If a pokemon's evolved form is the most popular, then they'll evolve into the form that will bring the most money.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Well think like this what would Raichu bring to the show? Some Pokemon don't evolve for that same reason in the show.

Although that doesn't excuse the Johto's team Brock and Misty got more evo than Ash.

Gazdust

At least this time Ash has more evolved pokémon on it's team then other saga.

yeminied

Sometimes because the writers just don't like drawing a certain Pokémon.

Because the typing doesn't work for the show, eg. Corphish would evolve into a dark type, something I doubt the writers would like.

Because the Pokémon they evolve into are unpopular. I believe this is one reason why Gliscor was released, because Japanese kids didn't like him/her.

STICKTOPIA

They do that simply b/c that's what they want.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
The animé's main purpose is supposed to advertise the games, correct?

Yes.

Well, in the games EVERYONE playing them fully evolves their pokémon.

The Anime encourages people to play casually. That is they want to encourage fans to actually care about their Pokemon and try to win with their favorites instead of catching the absolute best Pokemon and evolving then soon as possible. The idea of holding off evolution for a beneficial purpose was actually a plot point very early in the anime (Electric Shock Showdown). This is also why a Trainer who seems to build his Team with the principals of a Competitive Battler (Paul) is seen as the enemy/Rival against someone who treats his Pokemon as individuals (Ash).

In reality they do not just choose cute unevolved Pokemon to push in their merchandise. In Generation 4 Lucario, the Starters, Togekiss, and choice Legendary Pokemon were really pushed in the merchandise. In Generation 5 we'll probably see a lot of Zoroark floating around in addition to the Starters and Legendary Pokemon.

d4rk_tailed

Doritoes,Leaf Storm!
Well, in the games EVERYONE playing them fully evolves their pokémon.

Says who? Its more fun to play the game with rubbish Pokemon.

Youre speaking as if Ash's Charizard doesnt qualify for iconic status.

If a pokemon's evolved form is the most popular, then they'll evolve into the form that will bring the most money.

Someone needs to make this quote a sticky so that this question has a permanent answer.

Because the Pokémon they evolve into are unpopular. I believe this is one reason why Gliscor was released, because Japanese kids didn't like him/her.

Gotta give the Japanese kids some credit, theyre smart ;)

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I don't see why people complain about the lack of evo's anymore.

This is not the Johto saga. Ash has evolved nearly all of his Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon, and the ones that remain unevolved like Corphish and Buizel are still his strongest Pokemon.

Why bring this up?

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Because that's what the Pokemon wanted? They do all have different personalities and some just don't want to evolve, and I like that because it makes them different. Look at Bulbasaur, it completely refused to evovle in Bulbasaur's mysterious garden because it doesn't want to. Pikachu wants to become strong as a Pikachu not a Raichu. Meowth hates all Persians and never wants to evolve.

Simple as that, I am pretty sure that's what the writers wanted I am guessing the whole purpose of Electric Shock Showdown and Bulbasaur's Mysterious Garden is to show.

I think for those in the contests it would be easy with the Pokemon they have, if you win with that Pokemon's combo why evolve it when it's doing so well the way it is? Piplup might find it easier to perform then if it was a Empolen.

So yeah, gives them different personalities because well this is the anime not the games, they aren't robot drones in the show. And Ash understands that some Pokemon just don't want to, even Brock has said it over a million times (Like when Max and Dawn had asked why Pikachu didn't evolve or why it's not in the pokeball) that some of them liked it the way they are like Pikachu/Bulbasaur/Meowth.

Golden Fire

MasterOfTheNothing
We still have fully evolved pokemons, like Sceptile, Blaziken, Torterra and many others and lets not forget that even the small first stage pokemons can defeat the big fully evolved ones, its what has been said, it encourages you to play whit your favorites.

DaAuraWolf

I’m Back...
I think they don`t evovle some of them because many people might like that certain Pokemon and they hate there evovled formes.Some people might think the basic is cute and there evolutions are ugly.And another reason,I think the writters want to give Pokemon different personality and the fans just love that Pokemon`s personality.Also on the Piplup,I think it was because that it`s evoltions were ugly or "not cute" for contest.