• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

WHY DO they call her"Dee Dee"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

POKEMASTERNATHAN

Super random question.Saw the question on D/P,Dawn messed it up,and now I want to know your guy's guesses.

Me.......I really can't think of anything:(

PokemonHero

I can see the future
It's probably just a silly nickname that Dawn's mom called her when she was young and her friends picked up on it and used it to poke fun at her.

Dattebayo

Banned
I have the same question too, "Dee Dee" isn't even a good nickname for Dawn. She should be called "Diddy","Dedede", or "Dee Dee Dee" instead.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
Assuming you really don't know how the original joke wasn't able to carry over to the dub, I'm just going to swipe this from the MIA-Dogasu's site:
In the Japanese version, Kengo's nickname for Hikari is "Pikari." Once he sees Hikari with Pikachu, he assumes it's hers and declares the two of them to be the pika-pika combo, Pikari and Pikachu.

The pun wouldn't make sense at all in the dub (since they gave Hikari a name that sounds nothing like Pikachu), so they had to pretty much gloss over it.
Sorry, no long-winded exaggeration from me this time.

dman_dustin

Assuming you really don't know how the original joke wasn't able to carry over to the dub, I'm just going to swipe this from the MIA-Dogasu's site:

Sorry, no long-winded exaggeration from me this time.

How does that make sense anyway? Unless Pikari and Pikachu are actually something on tv it still wouldn't make sense. If the dub stayed true to her response ("Stop calling me that") Why would Dawn really have a problem with it?

Also consider Leona (Yumomi) had also called her that, now if Dogasu meant it wasn't Ash's Pikachu then maybe it makes sense, but if it was Ash's Pikachu then how would Leona know to call her by that particular name in the first place I'm almost positive Leona didn't see Pikachu when Leona saw Dawn.

I'm sorry but the explaination is rather limited, it doesn't explain why Dawn doesn't like to be called that in the first place?

Rocket Girl

I think the whole joke is that he's teasing her because she has the nickname Pikari, and is with a Pikachu.

Maybe Hikari pretended she was a Pikachu when she was little, so her friends called her Pikari, which is why she's upset when someone tries to explain where the nickname came from.

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
It's probably because she knows how to press people's buttons.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.

Having used p my ‘joke’ quota for this thread, I'm no expert in Japanese, but I've been lead to believe that 'pikapika' is an onomatopoeia used for something that shines or sparkles. So perhaps her childhood blunder occurred when she left the car window open after many warnings from her mother, thus resulting in her taking the brunt of suds, rotating brushes and searing hot wax. Carwash, that is.

Kataphrut

Since there is no way the original joke (such as it is) can work, it's probably going to be a childish nickname that won't be covered. Which I find to be just as well, since a stupid name is more likely to make Dawn react with anger and embarassment than simply a pun based off her possibly owning a yellow mouse.

PDL

disenchanted
Anyone willing to bet that this will become a running gag in that the true nature of the in-joke will never be revealed?

seadra147

THIS IS PING!!
Maybe dee-dee is Dawns REAL name!

seadra147

THIS IS PING!!
Maybe dee-dee is Dawns REAL name!

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Anyone willing to bet that this will become a running gag in that the true nature of the in-joke will never be revealed?

Usually running gag's are amusing, this one generally isn't, so it probably has a purpose.

I'm sure it'll be lame when we find out however.

Rave

Banned
Maybe they're implying that Dawn can also be nicknamed "Double D"?

chim-chat078

I <3 Maya Fey
honestly i don't think it matters its just a childish nickname, but following the rest of this thread *says in stupid voice* maybe dawns a secret team rocket agent that's code name is dawn even though her REAL name is dee dee!

Dattebayo

Banned

LOL, that's a good one. You think Dawn and Double D are related somehow?

Gravy

Contaminated KFC

False advertising, in MY money-making franchise? Surely you jest?!

Nando-Piplup

Emo Coordinator
stupid reason, i know, but...maybe she was such a ~Kirby-fanatic~ so they called her that?xD

Rave

Banned
stupid reason, i know, but...maybe she was such a ~Kirby-fanatic~ so they called her that?xD

Yeah, you're one Dee short from King Dee Dee Dee there bucko.

cbiesra

Pedophillia? Naww.>>
Rave, Rave, Rave, you are HILARIOUS, I find myself laughing at two thirds of your post

so I'm not of topic dee-dee will never be covered

Status
Not open for further replies.