• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do you keep watching the anime?

Leonhart

Imagineer
As open-minded as I try to be, I don't understand how a character who isn't even in the anime anymore has the influence to keep people watching. My favorite extinct character in the anime was Kasumi, and although she did eventually show up again in SM after a decade away, I didn't spend the ten year interim when she was absent thinking that she was my sole reason for tuning in week after week during DP, BW, and XY. I can hardly fathom that kind of mindset regarding any character who's been missing-in-action for several years.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
You watch the anime for Paul? I doubt he would appear again.

Yeah that may be true but he's the best thing to happen to this anime,there's no other trainer out there that did what he did before or after DP.

Of course I could name some other reasons behind why I still watch like the battles and Advanced Generation but those are minor for me.If Paul never existed I probably would have stopped watching a long time ago,I kinda did with the new series that are coming out because I never found it appealing to me at all.

I don't plan on watching any of the new stuff unless Ash brings back any of his top aces (CSIS)
or Paul comes back.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
As much as I like Paul, he will probably never return to the anime. However, a character like him is overdue. I thought maybe Gladion might be that, but it turns out he's nothing like him (not saying that Gladion is a bad character, but it wasn't exactly what I was hoping for). Just having a character like Paul makes battles that much more interesting and tense. Even if we never see Paul ever again, hoping for another character similar to him is completely reasonable.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Right now I'd watch it for battles or Pokemon I like showing up (both have been relatively sparse in the anime at present...)

Edit: Smh just realised I replied to this thread twice, must be getting old

Last edited:

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
there's no other trainer out there that did what he did before or after DP.

Consistently switches out pokemon during battles
Paul
Katie

Consistently uses a pokemon's status moves during battles
Paul
Katie
Conway
Tobias

Consistently uses a pokemon's ability during battles
Paul

Consistently uses unorthodoxed strategies during battles
Ash

Releases pokemon
Paul

Captures powerful pokemon
Paul
Tobias

Uses a pokedex to scan a pokemon's moveset
Paul

Rotates pokemon
Paul
Harrison
Virgil
Gary (OS)

Balanced powerful team
Tobias
Paul
Virgil
Tyson

Powerhouse ace
Alain
Tobias
Ash
Paul
Gary (OS)
Sawyer
Gladion
Trip
Harrison
Cameron
Barry
Trevor

Trainers that defeated Ash Ketchum one time
Sawyer
Cameron
Harrison
Tyson
Gary (OS)
Tobias
Ritchie

Trainers that defeated Ash Ketchum two times
Alain

Trainers that defeated Ash Ketchum three times
Paul
Trip

Last edited:
I guess its nostalgia kickin in sometimes...although its really hard for me to feel emotional with the show nowadays as opposed to the early 2000, but that's to be expected.

As open-minded as I try to be, I don't understand how a character who isn't even in the anime anymore has the influence to keep people watching.

Personally speaking, developing affection towards side characters that are no longer with Ash (like Tracey, Kasumi and so on) kind of facilitates that detachement from the show, at least for me it did. I understand the motives behind it (keeping the cast fresh with new faces), but i tend to grow affection towards people and characters in general, no matter if they are not real, thus i kind of hate when one is replaced. Brock was the only savior...for a time.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I'm watching the anime fully since XY(Z) after I took a long break after the Indigo League, but I'm watching it more as a passtime and out of curiosity what will happen next, not to expect much from the anime producers to deliver things that I care.

If I watched all the episodes from the beginning until now, I might get fed up about it and stop watching though.

Minuy600

Eon Fan
I'm thinking about getting back into it after watching some original episodes but it kinda feels embarrasing to watch on TV. Likely to truly follow it (at least the first few season) once Pokémon TV reverts to the episode where I left off before having to delete the app because of a lack of space on my phone.

I just like the characters and the similarities with the game. They were a huge part of my childhood and would kinda feel bad to just completely rid of them, at least their more 'alive' form.

Tiffo

Geeky Pokemon Master
I don't really watch it too much anymore, but I do watch an episode every now and then just to see how everything is going and to kill some time.

BlueDragonfangirl

Meh, right now I'm on a break from the TV show and only pay attention to the films till we get back to the real plot. I count Sun and Moon as a filler series till we get back to his goal Pokemon Master which is collecting gym badges and trying to win leagues and doing other contests like contests and other things yo help him train old school style. Sorry Sun and Moon fans, Animation don't help make me think other wise either.

Ask for why I still sort of watch the show, I like Ash character well the old Ash from Kanto to XY series and his goal and helping others, it was more fun when he enters tournaments to help train his Pokemon different ways like contests of flying contests or spirit tournaments where you have to work together with team mates to win something.

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Because... it's fun. I mean, I've long since learned not to expect much from it (I wasn't caught up yet at the time of the Kalos League finals, but my reaction to seeing people go "OMG he's finally going to win this time!" was to just go "Yeah... No he isn't.") and it does more or less hit the reset button with each series, but I can't blame it too much when the show just has so much charm to it, not to mention being surprisingly consistently well animated for a never-ending show that, for all intents and purposes, just exists to sell merchandise.

Also just because Pokémon is my current obsession and I enjoy seeing my favorite 'mons animated.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I'm thinking about getting back into it after watching some original episodes but it kinda feels embarrasing to watch on TV. Likely to truly follow it (at least the first few season) once Pokémon TV reverts to the episode where I left off before having to delete the app because of a lack of space on my phone.

I just like the characters and the similarities with the game. They were a huge part of my childhood and would kinda feel bad to just completely rid of them, at least their more 'alive' form.

Why does it feel embarassing?

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
I stopped watching SM, now if next series is like AG/DP/XY/BW, will I return? Likely. Because of nostalgia,action and adventure.

oshawott7

cat burgler
I guess a lot of it is out of habit but it also gives me a very comfortable and warm feeling, which I'm sure is nostalgia. I always look forward to new episodes, even during seasons that I didn't like as much as others. I also usually care a lot about everyone other than Ash so it's fun to see them grow.