• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do you like Pokemon?

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
I posted this on Reddit the other day, but figured I'd ask here as well!

Pokemon is one of, if not the, biggest franchise in the world - a 25 year old money-making machine which we all know and (hopefully) enjoy experiencing. It has created 900 unique and relatively varied creatures at least someone in the world can claim is their favourite, spread out over an incredible wide range of mediums. It's impressive to witness, even if such a lengthy existence has slowly stagnated (debatably) and left many people feeling like there are missed opportunities about. Lots of criticisms and negativity, especially on the internet - not entirely misplaced in my opinion, but dreary to experience long-term.

So! What is it about Pokemon that we do like? I cannot overstate how varied the franchise actually is - we have main series games, spin-off games, Pokemon GO, Pokemon Unite, the TCG, the anime/movies, plush/other forms of merchandise collection and a bunch of other things I have most likely forgotten about! And these branches split off and create new branches - the main series titles for example can incorporate people who just play for the story/credits, shiny hunters, competitive battlers, Pokedex completionists and folks in-between. The TCG has collectors and people who actually play the card game itself (casually or competitively). So on so forth. Then there's the more "basic" interests in the franchise - you like the Pokemon designs, or you enjoy collecting funky critters to beat up children, or the gameplay just appeals to you! There's a huge spectrum to observe and I am genuinely curious as to what it is folks like about the franchise?

For me personally, I like planning in-game teams and playing the main series titles for the sense of progression. I don't tend to do the Pokedex, or competitive battling, or shiny hunt (although I have dabbled in them all) but just raising cool creatures and seeing them grow and evolve is so cool! I also like to draw the Pokemon, collect some merchandise (plushies of my favourites and I have a couple of the funko pop things) and play the odd side game (Unite is my current fixation, albeit I haven't touched it in the last month). But what about you folks?

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Never thought too much about it but good games that are not too hard and many likable designs is always great. Even with a few nuisances peppered in the games its still fun.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
The franchise is creative with its creatures, and I am a person who enjoys creativity. Also, it's just easy for me to pick up and play.

Coolio35

Its hard to explain.

So one thing that i like pokemon is that i can play each game diffrently. The first 5 generations i did the story, beat the elite four, collecting pokemon for my Pokedex. With the start of generation 6 i was going to many tournaments and battled. Then they are people who goes to events to collect Event-Pokemon and trading accros the world and then they are people who play the game casually. So each player has his reason why he/she like Pokemon.

Ultra Beast Lover

I like it because of the stories, even the not so good ones. Pokemon has some pretty basic stories and while I'd like them to be deeper I think the simpler stories do have a certain charm. Also, things are interconnected, it's not like Yugioh where things happen in different universes/the far future, the things that happened in previous games are brought up.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Well, for me, it's because it's been there since the beginning.

I'm fortunate enough to remember very early stages of my life, but before a certain point, it's just mental clips and moments. That moment, as far as I can tell, was Christmas, 2001, when I got my first ever video game and my first ever console (a Gameboy Advance). The video game was Pokémon Silver.

At the time, I was 5, so there were things in that game that literally taught me how to read many new words. It was my first experience with a story that wasn't as simple as a Disney film, and one that I could push forward with my own actions. I also grew up without much in the way of culture passed down by my family, so it was the quiet beginning of me learning to love a culture that wasn't my own, given how elements of Johto are more explicitly tied to Japanese history and culture than some other regions.

From that moment until I got my hands on Sapphire a year and a half later, I barely ever put that game down - and then, from there, I got a version of every single game in the franchise on release day, even to this day. I consumed more Pokémon media than anything else - because I knew it, because it had helped shape my identity, and because for the most part it never stopped being fun. Any day, you'd be more likely to find me playing the latest release or replaying Silver than doing anything else. Those early adventures gave me memories and feelings I chase to this day. Even now, 20 years later, nothing quite feels like the GSC soundtrack version of the Road to Cerulean City track does.

So, I still play. I still love the franchise, even if my relationship with some of the later titles faltered. I'm incredibly excited for a new story in a Japan-inspired region again, and while waiting, I'm playing through HeartGold again just because it's that good and I can pick it up any time I want. To this day it's still my #2 video game of all time just behind Breath of the Wild. Pokémon is still my #1 favorite series and always has been. I could say more, but that's really all there is to say.

Humuskk1

I posted this on Reddit the other day, but figured I'd ask here as well!

Pokemon is one of, if not the, biggest franchise in the world - a 25 year old money-making machine which we all know and (hopefully) enjoy experiencing. It has created 900 unique and relatively varied creatures at least someone in the world can claim is their favourite, spread out over an incredible wide range of mediums. It's impressive to witness, even if such a lengthy existence has slowly stagnated (debatably) and left many people feeling like there are missed opportunities about. Lots of criticisms and negativity, especially on the internet - not entirely misplaced in my opinion, but dreary to experience long-term.

So! What is it about Pokemon that we do like? I cannot overstate how varied the franchise actually is - we have main series games, spin-off games, Pokemon GO, Pokemon Unite, the TCG, the anime/movies, plush/other forms of merchandise collection and a bunch of other things I have most likely forgotten about! And these branches split off and create new branches - the main series titles for example can incorporate people who just play for the story/credits, shiny hunters, competitive battlers, Pokedex completionists and folks in-between. The TCG has collectors and people who actually play the card game itself (casually or competitively). So on so forth. Then there's the more "basic" interests in the franchise - you like the it design, or you enjoy collecting funky critters to beat up children, or the gameplay just appeals to you! There's a huge spectrum to observe and I am genuinely curious as to what it is folks like about the franchise?

For me personally, I like planning in-game teams and playing the main series titles for the sense of progression. I don't tend to do the Pokedex, or competitive battling, or shiny hunt (although I have dabbled in them all) but just raising cool creatures and seeing them grow and evolve is so cool! I also like to draw the Pokemon, collect some merchandise (plushies of my favourites and I have a couple of the funko pop things) and play the odd side game (Unite is my current fixation, albeit I haven't touched it in the last month). But what about you folks?
The game is great because they fulfill the need of RPG gamers to see their bars grow. It is possible to fill up one Pokemon's bars , and then fill up another! If they're a high level Pokemon pokemon crystal cheats guide and the bars are taking longer to fill it is possible to fill with the bar of a lower level Pokemon! Filling the bar is the mainstay of gaming in rpgs.

It was for me the sensation of being part of an entire adventure of your own even though I was only five or six when my imagination took over making the experience appear authentic... My first encounter with a pokemon out in nature was one of a Rattata and it was exhilarating and thrilling to ****.

It only got improved for me. The silver and gold versions were awesome, using magnet trains and all that fantastic.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
It's an "alternative biology" game that uses actual biological facts to build on its lore.

For example, Mareaine feasts on Corsola which parallels how a Crown of Thorns sea star will feed upon coral reefs.
Also a Pokedex entry relays how Omastar is related to Octillery, which parallels how ammonites are related to cephalopods.

Monox D. I-Fly

Anything collectible would suffice for me, though the Pokedex does have a role. I mean, what am I doing collecting little critters if I don't even know what are those?
I like the element rock paper scissors, too.
Also, Pokemon TCG is the first TCG I properly play with other people.

raichu27

I like the types and moves. It's an interesting concept on Pokemon being based on animals, plants, and objects.

As a 30 y/o man I am often asked this Q. My response goes something like this.

1) Its a slow, relaxing game that does (although it might seem strange to say this) does have some deep immersion.

2) It has a futuristic, techno acid trip vibe which is oddly appealing and unique.

3) I have the power to make the gameplay as difficult or as easy as I desire using whatever rules I put in place.

4) Is almost a dream like world where all the horrors of the real world are put on stand by.

5) It doesn't take itself too seriously. Final Fantasy used to be like that.... Alot of RPG's really miss the importance of HUMOR

6) Replay value // restarting doesn't feel like losing anything...starting again is almost the best part.

7) Friendly community

8) For some odd reason does seem to attract a fair amount of highly intelligent people.

9) Its great for kids imo

10) A story and enviroment that can be made cartoonish and silly for young kids or edgy and frightening for old audiences. The flexability in this area is very rare for any franchise PERIOD