• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do you play the tiers you play?

Tilt

Banned
I play OU because its just the most common tier people play. Though I haven't played OU seriously in like a month. Right now I'm really enjoying NU. Its just fun to me, I could use the most unorthadox sets and they could work in NU. A lot of my fave Pokemon are also there, so I can play with them without having to worry about them being horridly outclassed in higher tiers.

SkyDeity

White Kyurem FTW
I love OU and UU. OU for the powerful Pokes and UU for it's just.....amazing fun.

PokemonOwn

OU is just fun. Because I love to sweep with Areodactyl. Also, NU is fun, because I have swept a team with Castform. XD

BadIntent

MSankey
Yeah, you know me Mattj. I just play VGC cause it's the official metagame. But I will say that before I learned about VGC 09 last year, I played doubles 4v4 and 6v6 on PBR simply because I liked it and because 4v4 doubles is the default setting on PBR for random Wi-Fi. I never liked usage based tiers, or any sort of tier system for that matter. But back when OU kinda resembled the Battle Tower restrictions (with Garchomp, Salamence, Latios, Latias allowed), I played OU Doubles for fun on occasion.

As far as trying other things, I'll just say this. If you're just playing Pokemon for fun, I'd highly suggest trying out other ways of playing like doing Monotype or Challenge Cup; just something different every once in a while. Personally, I was forced to (well no one had a gun to my head), adapt to VGC 10 all of a sudden after I'd been training so long for the previous year's ruleset in mind. And even with the restricted Pokemon or "ubers" allowed, I came around to see that it actually wasn't all that bad. Sure, I liked last year's a heck of a lot better, but if I didn't give this year's metagame a chance I'd never know.
Mattj, I'm with you, I love the VGC but only when it is in season (mostly because of the rules changing).

Yeah, it's really too bad they don't have competitions year around like the TCG. You can't really practice for VGC year round when they can just change the rules on everyone.

BI just plays for the all the chicks that come with being a VGC champ

Human Being

Yeah, you know me Mattj. I just play VGC cause it's the official metagame. But I will say that before I learned about VGC 09 last year, I played doubles 4v4 and 6v6 on PBR simply because I liked it and because 4v4 doubles is the default setting on PBR for random Wi-Fi. I never liked usage based tiers, or any sort of tier system for that matter. But back when OU kinda resembled the Battle Tower restrictions (with Garchomp, Salamence, Latios, Latias allowed), I played OU Doubles for fun on occasion.

As far as trying other things, I'll just say this. If you're just playing Pokemon for fun, I'd highly suggest trying out other ways of playing like doing Monotype or Challenge Cup; just something different every once in a while. Personally, I was forced to (well no one had a gun to my head), adapt to VGC 10 all of a sudden after I'd been training so long for the previous year's ruleset in mind. And even with the restricted Pokemon or "ubers" allowed, I came around to see that it actually wasn't all that bad. Sure, I liked last year's a heck of a lot better, but if I didn't give this year's metagame a chance I'd never know.

Yeah, it's really too bad they don't have competitions year around like the TCG. You can't really practice for VGC year round when they can just change the rules on everyone.

Oh yeah, by the way are you going update everyone on what's going on at Worlds on Smogon? I know PokemanMaster/Milan Patel will give me some updates, but I would love to see know what's going on from more than one point of view. I am going to try LC soon, Itsuki on Smogon is getting me to do some Breeding Projects for LC so I might as well begin learning it myself and playing it. It looks like fun any ways!

BadIntent

MSankey
Nah, I'm gonna get video of nobsack going out in round 1 of the LCQ, but no updates besides that.

Human Being

Hahahaha! What's up with everyone thinking he'll lose so quickly?

Super Nerd 7997

Crazy Plant Guy
While technically my teams fall into the OU tier, usually the bulk of the team are from the UU or NU tiers. Such as, nothing like sweeping an Ubers team with a poor little Cradily, eh (I still can't wrap my mind around that one)?

To an extent I don't follow the Tiers, as in I form my team out of pokemon that mesh well together and that I like, look at what Tier my team is shoved in, and then just play the game. But I suppose when you're a breeder first and a competitor second, and you love to invent strange little move sets and EV spreads that is what is bound to happen..

[/shrugs]
^ This. I spend so much time toying around with experimental movesets that I never get around to training the some of the "standard" Pokemon. Blissey? Never bothered with it (it's too cute for my liking). Wallbreaking crithax Techitop? Yep (although the EV's were a bear).

I train a lot of OU's and UU's, but I don't actually play a lot competitively. I'm thinking I might move more toward UU, as OU just seems like the same 10 or so Pokemon over and over again, whereas I get the feeling that UU strikes that nice balance between competitiveness and fun.

Human Being

@Super Nerd 7997
Almost everyone who plays UU now says that the metagame is boring and that it is basically the same team there. Venusaur, Milotic, Registeel, Mismagius, Uxie and another pokemon.

windsong

WEST SIDE
UU is honestly just OU with different broken Pokes. And different overcentralizing Pokes.

And with Salamence getting banned, I've noticed that UU and OU are honestly looking extremely similar. What you see commonly now in OU, with CeleTran + Bulky Water team cores is similar to Venosaur/Moltres/Spinner + Bulky Water, something that I commonly see there.

So yeah, I honestly find the two tiers very similar, but personally prefer OU. And LC. LC is awesome.

Actually UU and OU have some pretty significant differences. Yea the standard teams are FWG based in both modern metagames but things such as stall are more viable in OU. Sure stall can work in UU but it generally isn't quite as successful with things like Foresight + Rapid Spin Hitmontop preventing hazards from being too dominant. In OU there is Rotom-A and several Spikers which don't die quite as easily as ones in UU. Of course there are things in UU which don't work well in OU such as Rain Dance teams. I've had pretty good success with Rain teams in UU and so have many other people, but in OU it doesn't work as well with Tyranitar and Hippowdon messing things up, as well as things not dieing quite as easily up there (Blissey.)

Human Being

Standard Stall Team in OU
Hippowdon
Forretress / Tentacruel
Blissey
Skarmory
Rotom-A
Optional Filler kind of pokemon, possibly Vaporeon

Stall in UU does not work nearly as well due to the lack of Toxic Spikes seeing the main Toxic Spikes users are OU, Tentacruel, Roserade and Forretress. While the most common Spikes users are also in OU/BL, Roserade and Frosslass. So it is much more difficult to have a stall team in UU because you don't have nearly as much Entry Hazards which are a stall team's best asset.

windsong

WEST SIDE
Standard Stall Team in OU
Hippowdon
Forretress / Tentacruel
Blissey
Skarmory
Rotom-A
Optional Filler kind of pokemon, possibly Vaporeon

Stall in UU does not work nearly as well due to the lack of Toxic Spikes seeing the main Toxic Spikes users are OU, Tentacruel, Roserade and Forretress. While the most common Spikes users are also in OU/BL, Roserade and Frosslass. So it is much more difficult to have a stall team in UU because you don't have nearly as much Entry Hazards which are a stall team's best asset.
I disagree with almost everything in this post, tbh. Standard stall teams in OU now commonly carry Heatran, Gyarados, and I've even seen a couple running around that use Vaporeon and Roserade. In addition, nearly all stall teams in OU run Forry instead of Skarmory and Tenta, as that opens up a team spot.

In addition, it's not the lack of Toxic Spikes in UU that make them useless -- Drapion, Nidoqueen, Cloyster, etc. all set up Toxic Spikes extremely well. The reason that Toxic Spikes suck in UU is because nearly every single team has a grounded poison which absorbs them. The lack of Spikers is true, but the two main reasons that stall in UU is kinda meh are because of Foresight Spinners (Blastoise and Hitmontop) and the fact that pretty much every team has something that absorbs TSpikes. However, stall in UU isn't completely not viable.

If Roserade goes back down to UU we may see an increase in stall. It was the main method of Spiking/Toxic Spiking before and it probably would be again. It would give Venusaur a run for its money as a top pokemon (seems like Grass has always been the most dominant type such as when Shaymin was around then it went to Roserade and now Venusaur.) There are a few good hazard users out there as epic_eevee said, but the number of great Rapid Spinners out there makes it that much harder for stall to work (Hitmontop, Blastoise, and Donphan mostly.) Most poisons are grounded down there as well which prevents Toxic Spikes from being too damaging, most notably Venusaur which is the number one most used pokemon still (though Milo is literally right behind it.)

OU actually has other variations of teams that it can use for stall. Many use ScarfTar to revenge kill common threats to stall, (Infernape for example,) others use RestTalk Gyara, Swampert, or Vaporeon. Teams with ScarfTar usually won't need Hippowdon and use something else such as a Swampert lead for Stealth Rock support. Really stall isn't as generic as it used to be and its annoying that everyone assumes a team based off obistall is still the standard when that was made long ago in early DP. The only thing that is certain on them any more is that they will have hazards and a spin blocker, they don't even run Blissey every time now either. Of course they usually aim to have more than hazards as many will have Rapid Spin and Wish to keep HP high as not every member on a stall team has its own form of recovery such as Forretress and Heatran. Stall still isn't completely dominant in OU, but it is easily more effective than in UU. It still works in UU as well, it just doesn't compare to OU stall.

Darkrai00

.*.*.*.*.
I play OU..... :(

It's the most common so I just follow the crowd, I know what a loser right???

I want to make a UU team, but don't have much time. NU would be awesome I think, but I think there's just not enough players.