• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do you still play Pokemon?

DarkMammoth

Lover of silly memes
Well, for one, the Pokemon themselves definitely wouldn't work like they do in the games/TV show if they suddenly appeared in real life. (Though we could solve all the energy problems by just having Pikachus and Electabuzzes power our crap)

So, I'm gonna assume you mean if the whole concept of the Pokemon was real and we lived in that world? It'd be pretty cool. Given that money isn't a worry and you can make a career out of Pokemon battling starting at the age of 10, I'd say that's a sweet deal. And people aren't total d**** in that world.

Toastman

Toasty Trainer
I'm actually that a lot of people, even adults, still play the games. So I think it would be fun to know why you do it.

As for myself, it's because of all the paint chips and Febreeze Effects I've been dining on. Actually, I'm at rock bottom right now. Incredibly stressed out, and playing makes me...I don't know, like I'm in elementary again. I guess people really are happiest when they're children.

I rather like that. But yeah, it makes my problems go away. Unfortunately, they always come crawling back from the depths.

Cutty

Forever now
Agree. No need a reason especially if you've been with the series for so many years. It's like you buddy now.

The_Boss_Giygas

I. F.E.E.L. G.O.O.D.
Why not, it's on portable gaming system requires not too much sitting on your rear & staring at a tv screen for hours. It's like a "pocket monster" goes everywhere with you.

Ludi-Cola

Drink Responsibly
It's fun. I like it to unwind after school or work and make lots of friends. It even helps at work. One day I wore my Pikachu pin for laughs and it went over well w/ the young kids so I've kept it. Waitress isn't the most high-paying gig so whatever can earn better tips, you do. If it means having ppl request "the Pikachu lady" as their server, sure. ^__^

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Because I'm realy enjoy to play pokemon games, from I was 10.

I just can't stop playing those games, it's very interesting.

Skull-Kid

Been playing since I was five. Pokemon Yellow and my amazing Raichu.

It's just such a good game. The story, the gym leaders, the elite four, the amount of Pokemon to catch, the different types, the new Pokemon, evolving, wi-fi etc.

Even if you take away all of Pokemon's fancy features and just kept the gameplay, it would still be a beast of a game.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
I still play because I love choosing what I use, instead of having a game go "You must use this, this, and this." I also love the battles, and the thrill of training a team. Also having played it since I was 5(I'm 16 now) really doesn't make me want to quit.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
I have a addiction.

Minor one, abet.

I can stop playing it, but not for long.

In fact, my addiction starts back up when they release an Event, or a new main series game.

Chibi_Muffin

Smart Cookie
Isn't the answer obvious? Because it's fun.
Okay, I admit it. The first non-spinoff Pokemon game I ever played was Pearl. I'm a bit of a newbie. But that same Pearl has max time, 2 level 100s, 37 shinies and 403 different species caught. And when March 26th rolls around, most of my Pokemon will be in SoulSilver. I'm still interested in it. That's good - being interested after 2 1/2 years means that it's good. There seems to be a lot of fresh, new things to do in the game. It's hard to become boring. So it stays fun. And that is why I play it.

Displeased Owl

NCTH Leader
the incredible replay value, the fact that every new game will never technically be the same, the fact that it'll never get old (though gen 5 will have to convince me of that :p), and the fact that you don't have to pay attention to play it. like i can talk to all my mates and multitask with it cause all you're really doing is pressing A. oh and its incredibly relaxing! but all in all because its actually a really really good game :)

Pikawho?

(five15)
I really don't know why I still play. I had ignored it for a while until my friends bought me Sapphire for my birthday one year. Since then, I was hooked. I really can't explain why I still enjoy playing it or why I'm so excited for the new games to come out. Like everyone else has been saying: it's a well put together game that never gets old. A good amount of my friends (some who actually surprised me) still play it so I'll probably stick with it until they let it go.

So to answer the question: I still play it because it's still fun and relieves stress. Training pokemanz to beat other people's pokemanz never gets old.

Although, after seeing the first two new pokemon of generation 5, I don't have too many high hopes. I'll probably end up buying the games anyways, but I'm sure that it won't be too long afterwards that I hang up the metaphorical pokedex for good. But only time will tell...

Because I grow up playing with this games since the beginning and they still managed to keep me hooked (so far). They will never get old to me no matter how much they keep changing, I remember back when I was playing with the 1st gen and the gameboy graphics and 8-bit sound (ahh the memories). I would have never imagined how they would change so much in decade, to what we have now (4th gen). I wonder how they will look in another decade... well one thing is for sure and that is that I will still be playing them.

Tekka

Daemon Hunter
I don't even know why. The game IS addicting for reasons I can't understand. Despite my best efforts I have not been able to drop it.

I got blue, and loved it. I held off on buying Silver because I knew Crystal (or something similar to Yellow) was probably coming, then got Crystal and a second GameBoy, then transferred everything I'd caught from Blue onto Crystal.

I played Crystal to death and took it with me practically wherever I went. This carried on until the release of Ruby and Sapphire. I had found an import store that put them on sale on the US release date no less (I really miss that store.), which was amazing for me because Britain never got games early, and I bought both with two GBAs. And when Emerald came out, I got that too. Colosseum... FireRed... LeafGreen... Good lord. Even spent days running back and forth through tall grass to catch Pokemon with super buffed stats, and fulfill my desire to make a team of Pokemon for competitive play.

Generation 3 was no doubt the peak of my obsession, as buying every game in a generation was perhaps excessive, and I can at least safely say that it's something I'll never do again. ( Maybe... -_-; )

It was reviewing the cost of buying all those games that made me say to myself, "That's it! I'm never giving Nintendo another penny for Pokemon, this is the end!"

And I actually managed to stick to that all the way through the release of Diamond and Pearl. But then Platinum came out, and everyone was playing it, and I broke and bought Platinum and a DSLite. (So weak.)

And now here I am having signed up for your lovely forums, holding a preorder for Soul Silver, and polishing a DSi ready for trades. Not quite as bad as I was in Generation 3 but still pretty bad. Playing Platinum every day, taking good care of my Gardevoir so she can walk with me through Johto in just a couple of weeks time. ;P

X3 Gawd.

And I have no idea what it is about these games that motivates me to this level of dedication.

I can't see it stopping any time soon either, I'm already pretty eager to learn more about Gen5. My biggest fear though, is that one day there'll be a cut off for trading from old versions again, ala Gen2 to Gen3. I was able to work past that at the time, but if I ever have to say goodbye to all the hard work I've put in to assembling my army of Pokemon, especially my favourite, it might be heartbreaking enough to motivate me to finally stop.

But I doubt it. After all, they can always be revived in other ways. @_@;

Though I would miss all those ribbons...