• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do you think Cilan's personality was changed from the games?

GalladeX

In the games, Cilan is shy and awkward, as opposed to his hotheaded brother Chili and his other, suave brother Cress.
However, in the anime, Cilan is flamboyant, overdramatic, and...fabulous, for lack of a better word.
Why do YOU think the change occurred?

POKEMONISDUMB!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think they wanted Cilan to have a diffenerent personality in the games. He says "um" a lot in the games, which really annoyed me. His animé personality was much better.

If you think about it, Brock's game and animé personality are also different. I like his game personality better.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Probably because his shyness and meekness would get annoying and they wanted a pretty boy Tamaki-esque character. He's still pretty weird though...xD

Haunter ゴースト

Theres not enough of a character in the game :S

How can you tell the difference, i think it's just development really for a more extended role.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
Theres not enough of a character in the game :S

How can you tell the difference, i think it's just development really for a more extended role.

Dento (in games): I umm....umm...just can't...um....get into the right tempo for um...the dance.....

Dento (in anime): *hooking a fish* Not all all! We're waltzing right now >:]

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Not much character in the games.
Lots of it in the anime though.

gliscor&yanmega

Perhaps to just do something different from the games. Maybe they thought the Cilan in the games wouldn't be liked that much through out the Anime so they made him different and took the chance to see if he'd be liked. I think they made the right call.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
In the games, Cilan seems like the type of shy, selfless character who feels as if his cover (Striaton Triplets = Shadow Triad, people!) is about to be blown. This wouldn't translate well into the anime, and if they gave him the game characterization then he'd be torn apart horribly, just like poor Tracey Sketchit from the Orange Islands saga. This element of sheer fabulousness is utterly delicious anyways, so why would anybody want that awkward guy from the games as a main character?

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Maybe so to make him interesting. The last one that was on was there but yet he wasn't. So why not start with something fresh?

An00bis

Wicked Witch
He wasn't fabulous enough.

Ro fair Ash's other game oriented traveling companions did not act like their in-game counterparts. Maybe borrowing one or two traits from there.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Do the gym leaders ever have a personality in the games? It seems they get one in the anime. Only ones that had one in my eyes is Volkner and Whitney.

GalladeX

Do the gym leaders ever have a personality in the games? It seems they get one in the anime. Only ones that had one in my eyes is Volkner and Whitney.

They have them, but they aren't developed well since they're minor characters. The more noticeable ones are Clair, Wattson, Candice, Misty, Green, etc.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Cilan? What about Iris? Her personality is also different.

MalformedSticks

I'm eating a roach
It's the effect of hanging around with Ash. He can change people, man.

VoltTacklingPika

Perhaps they thought that since Cilan was there for the long run, he needed a more noteworthy personality. Also, I think that an eccentric and flamboyant character contributes to the humour more. In an anime like Pokemon, shy and awkward characters just aren't that entertaining, in my opinion. They're better suited to the drama and romance genres.

MegSuicune251

Pokemon's #1 Fan
I think hes cooler in the anime. I found his stutter in the game quite annoying.

I brought this up on Bulbagarden months ago and got pretty much the same response (that is, "His anime personality is more interesting/He didn't have one in the games to begin with/Not fabulous enough, lol!"). I actually think Cilan would have been better off with his game personality, though, not just because it's a more accurate reflection of the game's content (as an adaptation should be, dammit!), but also because I think a shy, shrinking violet-type character would have brought something new to the dynamics of Ash's group. For one thing, he would have avoided the pitfall of becoming the new "cooking/general caretaker" guy that the older male of the group always becomes, plus it would make for an interesting story arc to see him gradually come out of his shell and grow into a more confident trainer and Gym Leader.

But, then again, that's probably asking too much of the show. :/

(And for the record, I thought the stutter was adorable.)

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
You never know,
young!Cilan might have that shrinking violet personality when we get to see some of his backstory in BW046...

Last edited by a moderator: