• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do you think switching protagonists will not make the show better?

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
We have witnessed ash grow from a rookie to the strongest trainer in the world. That's the 'journey' you're looking for. A timeskip to when he's a pokemon master is the only possible step-forward step after journeys, and would serve as a closure to his character.
Or instead of a time skip, have Ash become the worlds strongest trainer as established, have him give a monologue about what a Pokémon master entails and show him still bonding with mons as he ages.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
If Goh was actually interesting to me and not some glorified collector with unlimited master balls, I could of been really interested in him replacing Ash since I like his design. I get why people may like him but I just hoped for much more.

KukuiFanatic501

We have witnessed ash grow from a rookie to the strongest trainer in the world. That's the 'journey' you're looking for. A timeskip to when he's a pokemon master is the only possible step-forward step after journeys, and would serve as a closure to his character.
Eh I wouldn't say that. Because as someone earlier here put it, as long as the franchise continues to give us new games, then the anime won't have Ash reach the ceiling of "strongest" as new never before seen people will appear to be beaten. So even if Ash manages to beat Leon (which is already questionable in and of itself), the new regions from Gen 9 and onward that are given to us wouldn't be apart of the PWC currently in Journeys. That leaves open the possibilities of new trainers, gym leaders, elite 4s, champions, etc. that haven't been seen yet to dethrone Ash or be new challenges for Ash to take on, which until he does, wouldn't make him considered the strongest by that virtue.

Plus on top of that, there have been series where the MC manages to claim world-champion status and continue on with their journey afterwards on a new adventure. The Beyblade Metal series is a perfect example of this happening.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Hope we get one more series after he becomes world champion in JN, wrapping his story up and introducing a new protagonist who preferably isn't Ash's child, but someone who's inspired by him and wants to be like him

thor94

What's a wish-like benefit?
I means scam result where you never really get the promise, like the infamous selling website Wish, they tease you with photos of cool products for cheap price only for you to notice you bought a reallistic model bicycle toy or the USB key plugged behind the computer on the photo.
It is same with Ash, when the writers finally seems to give ash what the fans wanted, it is a joke version (like orange and alola league being a pitiful version of other real regional league)

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
Not now, there is no way they can change it now, no thank you. But I would have been glad to see a New Protagonist in BW.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I means scam result where you never really get the promise, like the infamous selling website Wish, they tease you with photos of cool products for cheap price only for you to notice you bought a reallistic model bicycle toy or the USB key plugged behind the computer on the photo.
It is same with Ash, when the writers finally seems to give ash what the fans wanted, it is a joke version (like orange and alola league being a pitiful version of other real regional league)
Interesting.. I've seen ads for the website but never used it or know anyone who does, so I hadn't realized this. Just read some articles about its scams after reading your message.

KukuiFanatic501

But its not a joke version, for Alola anyway, as it is a real legitimate league. It takes on this supposed illusion of being "pitiful" because its a new never before done league compared to the regions who have established leagues for, as far as we know, many generations of their regions history.

Orange islands is one thing, but comparing Alola to the formers is an unfair comparison.

RafaSceptile

But its not a joke version, for Alola anyway, as it is a real legitimate league. It takes on this supposed illusion of being "pitiful" because its a new never before done league compared to the regions who have established leagues for, as far as we know, many generations of their regions history.

Orange islands is one thing, but comparing Alola to the formers is an unfair comparison.
Even then, Orange Islands is a 300 years old league, which is significantly for a league that is usually treated as a "minor" league for a lot of people

thor94

No, alola is not pitiful because it is new, it is pitiful because almost all the peoples who entered in are not even regular trainer.
Out of the 151 competitors, only 5 including Ash, can really be called trainer, all other peoples are not even worthy of the trainers kicked out of the other regionial leagues at their first prelim battle
Does a league with peoples like james, lana and sophocle ranked in the top8 can be called prestigious? trainers like mandi, nobody guy beaten by gary in ice field or gilbert from hoenn prelim are ten times more skilled than half of manalo top8

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Comparing skill levels across different series is bs, no way to do it with any kind of accuracy beyond just making up stuff. Seriously, if you're going down that road Kanto league had someone who lost 3-0 to a small untrained Krabby Ash had literally zero prior battling experience with. Classifying a league by its weakest participants is dumb. Not that it's in any way relevant to the topic to begin with.

RafaSceptile

No, alola is not pitiful because it is new, it is pitiful because almost all the peoples who entered in are not even regular trainer.
Out of the 151 competitors, only 5 including Ash, can really be called trainer, all other peoples are not even worthy of the trainers kicked out of the other regionial leagues at their first prelim battle
Does a league with peoples like james, lana and sophocle ranked in the top8 can be called prestigious? trainers like mandi, nobody guy beaten by gary in ice field or gilbert from hoenn prelim are ten times more skilled than half of manalo top8
Yes, it can, you have absolutely no idea how all the leagues started

KukuiFanatic501

Illma, someone who was good enough to enter the Kalos League like Ash and the others in XY did, was brutally torn to shreds by Guzma immediately after the battle Royale portion was finished to weed out the nobodies. This is nowhere near "pitiful".
See above. And if you want to play that game, we can do the exact same thing for the other leagues too who were more or less than the same thing.

Every league had only a handful of people, including Ash, that were considered the actual competition from a narrative and scaling standpoint. The COTD fodder that filled up the ranks were there solely for slot filling and not anything else, minus the plot devices that the writers would shoehorn in to stop Ash from winning the previous leagues. Hell, the Kalos League literally only had Alain and Sawyer as notable competition, and skipped the non-character matches entirely. 2 people were the only ones seen as any notable threats in that whole league going by this logic.

And if going by that, Alola's most definitely not at the bottom of the totem pole.
Again, see above. And like others said, trying to cross-compare different regions and their trainers skills is just stupid entirely. Regions do different things from each other all the time.

And once again, Alola is a NEW league. You cannot expect its competition to literally be as "prestigious" as the other leagues, who have done their competitions for generations. You'd appear more credible if you compared Alola to things like the battle frontier (which wouldn't really help you since both competitions involved Ash battling and defeating legendaries, which sets the bar for him accomplishment wise).

BlueDragonfangirl

If Goh was actually interesting to me and not some glorified collector with unlimited master balls, I could of been really interested in him replacing Ash since I like his design. I get why people may like him but I just hoped for much more.
How is his reputation in Japan exactly? He seems to be a mix bag on forums but they seem to have different taste. I myself am not a fan of his character, so while I am not liking Ash being a side character in this series I wouldn't want him replaced with this character, he's not my type and I've loved Ash character since the beginning. I think its too late, if they wanted it would have been either at BW or Sun and Moon. I just hope Ash is treated better in the next series and the later half of this series :(

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
How is his reputation in Japan exactly? He seems to be a mix bag on forums but they seem to have different taste. I myself am not a fan of his character, so while I am not liking Ash being a side character in this series I wouldn't want him replaced with this character, he's not my type and I've loved Ash character since the beginning. I think its too late, if they wanted it would have been either at BW or Sun and Moon. I just hope Ash is treated better in the next series and the later half of this series :(
Ash is not and has never been a side character.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Ash leaving the show probably won't make it any better (especially if he's replaced by Goh, in which case I only see the anime getting WORSE), but it'll stop the anime from dragging Ash down even further.
They would need to completely change the format of the anime, and perhaps change it to a 1 or 2 cour seasonal anime that focuses more on story telling over marketing for it to be better imo.

RafaSceptile

They would need to completely change the format of the anime, and perhaps change it to a 1 or 2 cour seasonal anime that focuses more on story telling over marketing for it to be better imo.
Eh, it depends on which type of anime you want for Pokémon. If you want to focus more on the story of how the main character try to achieve its goals, then yes, some changes to Pokémon structure, format and narrative are needed.

But other types of anime can work with Pokémon's current format, but of course those usually don't take the plot in a serious way, most of the time.