• Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do you think the writers gave Dawn a poor exit?

Teshub

Banned
I was looking back at the final episodes of AG and notice a deep contrast between May's and Dawn's conclusion. Even though May had a swift departure in the last episode of AG, her buildup to it was well done.

She had several episodes before the end of the series to commemorate her character by battling with Ash (Once More With Reeling!), one additional episode where she was an important part (Pinch Healing!) and the setup to her future (The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing!).

We knew what May was looking forward to (setting off on her own without Max, looking forward to her rivals, especially Drew). We knew what region she was heading to (Johto).

Dawn is getting nothing of that sort. After the Sinnoh League, we get a whole episode for Brock, and 5-10 minutes for chance to say goodbye. As Ash goes to Kanto with Brock to meet with Prof Oak.

Why do you think the writers, who seem to always give Dawn preferential treatment in episodes compared to May, gave her a relatively lesser conclusion?

Last edited:
They haven't given her that "poor exit" yet.

Teshub

Banned
They haven't given her that "poor exit" yet.

The episode might not have aired, but the summary already confirmed what will happened. There is no battle with Ash, no tag battle, no party or just a moment alone with Ash.

It's only her saying farewell to Ash as he gets on a boat. It's just like the May exit, except this time the girl is staying on land.

Silver_Seoul

Who? Me?
Admitting what?

(S)he is referring to Teshub. Don't worry about it.

Dawn has had her send-off hints, they just haven't been major like May's. The Kenny episode, for one, could have been her send-off all in its own right.

Teshub

Banned
(S)he is referring to Teshub. Don't worry about it.

Dawn has had her send-off hints, they just haven't been major like May's. The Kenny episode, for one, could have been her send-off all in its own right.

There was no hint. Just a vague, "I will continue my quest to be top coordinator" thing. What was the big revelation there?

Silver_Seoul

There was no hint. Just a vague, "I will continue my quest to be top coordinator" thing. What was the big revelation there?

She told Kenny their paths would cross again sometime in the future. Now, I don't remember the rough translation of it, but it was something along those boundaries. And to cross paths means that Dawn would continue to pursue her dream away from Ash.

Teshub

Banned
She told Kenny their paths would cross again sometime in the future. Now, I don't remember the rough translation of it, but it was something along those boundaries. And to cross paths means that Dawn would continue to pursue her dream away from Ash.

It just means she is going to travel a lot. Again, nothing new. There was no indication of where Kenny would go either, nor for Zoey.

As most people believe, either, both, her other rivals might pop up in Twinleaf. Not sure why, maybe they know she is done with Ash then they will suggest her a region. But I don't think she would pick right away because she did not have time to think.

Bubblewrap

It hasn't finished yet.
Besides, the 'brock' episode may contain some of Dawn too. It's just named 'Pokemon Doctor - Takeshi' because that is the primary storyline, but it could involve the build up to Dawn's end journey, too.

Silver_Seoul

It just means she is going to travel a lot. Again, nothing new. There was no indication of where Kenny would go either, nor for Zoey.

As most people believe, either, both, her other rivals might pop up in Twinleaf. Not sure why, maybe they know she is done with Ash then they will suggest her a region. But I don't think she would pick right away because she did not have time to think.

Still, if she planned on traveling "a lot" that would mean the chances of her encountering Kenny once more would be significantly lower than if she were to travel in a nearby region, had he specified to her which region he was traveling in to her offscreen, perhaps. So it can be concluded she intended to follow her rivals in primarily, just after supporting Ash and deciding on her own.

dragonpsychicrules

DragonType GymLeader
(Once More With Reeling!), (Pinch Healing!) (The Unbeatable Lightness of Seeing!).

Hey!! You just rhymed!!! Reeling--Healing---Seeing...:D

Anyways, my answer they did so because the latter half of DP was rushed? So, maybe because of the lack of time, they could not give a proper sendoff...

Shivan30

Why did she never beat Zoey then? I dont see space in those 2 episodes where Zoey could appear and if so, why so rushed lol?

Silver_Seoul

Why did she never beat Zoey then? I dont see space in those 2 episodes where Zoey could appear and if so, why so rushed lol?

Why did Ursula never beat Dawn? Why didn't Nando appear more? How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?

The world may never know.

DanChimchar

Friends are Diamonds
DP the build up was great just the Ending Arc sucks after the Grand Festival since things are not anwser !
This has to be the worst saga ending ever it's so rushed I hate it no episode for ash being sad getting so close to winning, no goodbye episode for dawn with some pearlshipping maybe?? Brock episode Im happy with if he stays with Nurse Joy in sinnoh, have ash go to pallet town see misty and Tracey heck and maybe max and learns about the new region heads off with Pikachu only when he is stopped by dawn who didn't want to leave without a good friendly match, they battle they tie ash says he is proud dawn goes back to hoeen after meeting Ashs family misty max oak etc! Ash goes to new region with Pikachu

poizonsting

Pokemon master
A little jealous, are we?

The big revelation was right in front of your eyes. You were just ignorant and delusional to not to see it.

Last edited:

Teshub

Banned
I also forgot, May got a next-gen pokemon. Dawn isn't even getting that as a consolation price for being the main girl. Unless her Pachirisu evolves into that new electric flying squirrel somehow.

I dont think her rivals are that important to the writers. It seems they only cared about Paul. It's true there is no longer space for any "redemption" for anyone. It's also surprising that Dawn is the only girl who only got to travel to one region, every else had 2 or 3 if you count the Orange Islands, May (Kanto, Hoenn), Misty (Kanto, Johto).

Last edited: