• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why do you think the writers made Max join Ash in AG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

(P.O.K.E.M.O.N)

AshXSerena = Canon
He was alright, but he basically had no impact in the show what so ever, he was basically the guy who would pull brock away from girls and say a few things.

JennaJayfeather

Gangrenous Creature
To put a Mr. Smartypantz in? I don't know, maybe to give it a family feel...and make Ash look like he knew what he was doing? XD Either way, I'm happy that they did.

ForgottenPearl

Personally, I thought it was interesting to see the brother-sister dynamic between Max and May. As the series went on, that got less emphasis, but I do think it was a nice change of pace to have a young character around.

RWB

Dragon busted by Her
I actually think they were "testing the waters". Max was built up to be a trainer once he came of age, and at some times seemed like he could have "taken up the mantle" if Ash had succeeded, giving us a Character with an "idol" to surpass. Ash would still be very prevalent, of course.

But then Max turned out to be not so popular, and they pretty much settled on Ash's permanent stay.

That's just personal theory, though.

UnbelievableUrsula

Cute and Creepy!
I think I have a few list ideas. Doesn't mean they're all true or not.

1. They wanted to see how Ash would deal wth a younger kid to look up to him.
2. They wanted to see more than just two people plus one who wasn't doing anything bring some flavor in the show.
3. The wanted to see a sibling or a family presence in the group for a change.
4. They wanted to have someone who didn't carry a Pokemon.

cg19293

I think because Ash and Misty argued a lot, and May was supposed to look up to Ash, they needed someone in the group that would enable the same petty squabbles that Ash and Misty had. Since May, unlike Ash and Misty, was the sort of character that often doubted herself, they needed a different character to add that element.

Haunter ゴースト

1 - He was probably added to the show for these reasons:
- To try giving the show a new feeling, with newer characters considering a few were dropped in OS.
- To try working with a 4 lead cast.
- Possibly just to develop a family friendship during the show and see how it worked.

2 - Personally I had no problem with Max, I though his and Ash's friendship was great, the only thing I disliked was his voice after the PUSA Voice switchover.

Vernikova

Champion
He was there to add comedy relief and to give May some more character development. That's it. Let us not over-think this with "Show how mature Ash was" or anything like that since that's what the rookie trainer is there for. As for him being in the group: he didn't do anything so I don't care about him. Yeah? Yeah.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The way I see he was supposed to be a character children could identify with. Also, he kind of played the role of "kid who is amazed when seeing a new pokemon".

-------------

I don't have much issues with Max. His character is ok to me.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
He was super desu kawaii. JK No but he was cute and cool. I wish he was Brock's replacement for DP

Demonsead

Hoenn Challenger
He was there so May had someone to interact with. No grand plan, just that.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Probably to give us a character to hate more than Ash for being so useless and more annoying. Or perhaps it's like why Scrappy was added in Scooby Doo, to boost up ratings with the younger kids.

But honestly, I'm not sure. I think he was there just to be a smart-aleck and bother his sister like what little brothers do. As far as I know, the only thing he contributed to the plot was mentioning May's fear of Pokémon. Him befriending a Ralts was pointless within itself, that's what Wally is for, but I never saw him in the anime. So Max really wasn't needed. He would've disappeared for an episode, and we would've cared less.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
Because they needed someone else to drag off Brock whenever he got flirty, and OP should be happy because, well, guess who he learned it from?

BTW, how come people didn't really like Max? He was one of the main reasons why I watched AG in the first place, he's so focking kawaii desu niiiiii~ d^o^b

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Because they needed someone else to drag off Brock whenever he got flirty, and OP should be happy because, well, guess who he learned it from?

BTW, how come people didn't really like Max? He was one of the main reasons why I watched AG in the first place, he's so focking kawaii desu niiiiii~ d^o^b

Yeah you're right. I liked that Max came on an episode before Brock and had made the show watchable again.

Status
Not open for further replies.