• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why does everyone LOVE the 2nd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Gen 2 wasn't that great to me. Sure it jump started the series but it wasn't much to brag about. Probably my 3rd Favorite overall. Under Gen 4 first and Gen 3 second. I believe Gen 3 was when the games started to get better. Pokemon began to slowly transition out of its fad stage and started to change for the better. I just think Gen 2 was nothing but pandering to fanboys from the first gen. Most of the trainers had Pokemon form the old games as well as Gym leaders, The Elite 4 was terribly weak. Gen 1's Elite 4 was alot harder. Also, the whole going back to Kanto thing was just the straw that broke the camel's back. They were so lazy about Johto that they had to add Kanto in to make it seem better.

I just feel Johto was more an expansion pack rather than an actual game. It was too easy and shoddly put togther. I my opinion, they could have done alot better. It wasn't the worst, but it was by no means great. Every other genertion beats them out easily.

Last edited:
If Gold was your first game, and it was the game that got you back into liking Pokemon...you'd understand. (I first played it in 2002.) I liked going to Kanto for the first time in Gold. (I liked it more than RBY.) I loved the Magnet train, SS. Anne, legendaries, starters, rival, Champion, Ice path, Dragon's den, Radio tower. I wished they had the radio in RSE, but they didn't. I loved how other trainers had the Kanto starters. I liked going to two regions that I've never been to before. I didn't even know that it was a sequel to RBY until I got the internet which was after RSE came out.) Everything was new to me.

Blazestarre

Most people, including me, like it for the nostalgia. It did add a lot of new game mechanics that are used in the 3rd and 4th generations. While replaying, though, it's obvious that it probably is the weakest generation because of the lack of difficulty. Hopefully, HG/SS will fix that.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
The 2nd gen was the best because the nostalgia of the older people and because we have seen the 2nd generation pokemon more than others so there is no doubt that this gen is the best.

yeminied

Even though my first game was FireRed from what I have read before many times is that the 2nd generation is when the first wave of players who started playing when Pokemon first came out grew up and stopped playing Pokemon and enjoying it as kids.

Nostalgia is also a huge factor from what I've heard.

I think everyone loves the second gen because GSC are the only Pokemon games so far where your mother asks "Do you know how to use the phone?".... XD

I like the intro: ".......................Zzz...Hm? Wha...? You woke me up! Will you check the clock for me? What time is it?" *insert time* "Yikes! I overslept."

"Hello. Sorry to keep you waiting! Welcome to the world of Pokemon! My name is OAK. People call me the Pokemon Prof. This world is widely inhabited by creatures we call Pokemon....." I like the mom's theme song. Then you go outside and talk to a guy who says "Yo, Gold. I hear Professor Elm's got some new Pokemon." You see a peculiar red head standing next to the lab. You speak to him and he shoves you. It looks funny. Then you go inside and hear about a guy named Mr. Pokemon and asks you to go see him and choose Pokemon for a partner. You then choose Chikorita, go outside, have some battles. Meet the youngsters who are having an epic battle between Youngster Joey's Rattata and another Pokemon. Make your way to Mr. Pokemon's house and then meet Professor Oak who has a radio show (so cool :D) and has a cool theme. You then get a Pokedex and then a Mystery Egg. You go outside and get a phone call from a Prof. who wants me to return to the lab immediately. I make my way towards Cherrygrove. Heal my Chikorita and as I'm leaving town. A red haired male named ??? wants to battle me. He has stolen a Cyndaquil. I beat him. He calls me weak. He leaves and I head to the lab. An officer wishes to know the boy's name. I tell him a name and he goes away. I show the egg to Elm... blah blah blah...the awesome story continues.

Along my way to Violet City, I catch a Hoothoot, Caterpie, and a Poliwag. I get my Bayleef to level 17 before catching those other Pokemon however.

You know the rest. :D

Last edited:

Xx Flare xX

It made the game look alot bigger then it actually was.
I remember getting the 3rd generation game (Sapph) and was like "Is that it?" :p
Even though the game was still big and had alot to it it just looked small compared to G/S/C.

D/P/PT made the game look alot bigger though. but still didn't feel as big as G/S/C (and 2nd gen felt more of an adventure compared to the others in my eyes).

Lord_Storm

1st gen: Graphics werent great and i could barely tell what pokemon i was facing without reading the name

2nd gen: Much improved gameplay, great new pokemon, biggest game, best storyline, just too easy

3rd gen: Good graphics (unlike what most people think), Some good pokemon, over the top storyline, stupid villains, loads of things to do after the game(battle frontier)

4th gen: Awesome graphics, crappy new pokemon, failed storyline, ugly gym leaders, too many legendaries, way overrated, rubbish battle frontier, BLOWED UP LAKES THAT REPAIR THEMSELVES WTF!

1. GSC - God of all games
2. RSE - Emerald specifically, and BLAZIKEN
3. RBY - God this game werent great
4. DPPt - Just look at the the legendary trio on here, aint they sposed to be tough

~Storm

Sylfi

Comfy & easy to wear
1st gen: Graphics werent great and i could barely tell what pokemon i was facing without reading the name

2nd gen: Much improved gameplay, great new pokemon, biggest game, best storyline, just too easy

3rd gen: Good graphics (unlike what most people think), Some good pokemon, over the top storyline, stupid villains, loads of things to do after the game(battle frontier)

4th gen: Awesome graphics, crappy new pokemon, failed storyline, ugly gym leaders, too many legendaries, way overrated, rubbish battle frontier, BLOWED UP LAKES THAT REPAIR THEMSELVES WTF!

1. GSC - God of all games
2. RSE - Emerald specifically, and BLAZIKEN
3. RBY - God this game werent great
4. DPPt - Just look at the the legendary trio on here, aint they sposed to be tough

~Storm
REBUTTAL TIME! :D

I do believe it's true that GSC was the best generation, but there were some serious downsides to it *COUGHkantobeingstrippedtotheboneCOUGH*, and the game just felt bigger because there were two regions. GSC had some of the smallest games. RBY was fine, and who really cares about graphics from a game that's 15 years old? Honestly, 3rd Gen left a bad taste in my mouth. The storyline was okay, but the new Pokemon were demented and the graphics weren't all that amazing compared to some other games on the GBA. And I just loved 4th Gen for some random reason. It's so fun! :D

CruxisPirate

Old School Trainer
I like the 2nd gen for many reasons.

1. It worked the kinks out of the first games
2. The new pokemon are cool
3. The origional pokemon are still everywhere

In the later generations the origional pokemon seem to become rare. The new pokemon looked rediculous and there was always another legendary pokemon to add to the list.

I agree jhoto and kanto could have been better developed as regions but the pokemon and the team rocket story hookes me and it didnt seem like they were just trying to milk the series for everything like these new generations are.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
I loved the 2nd Gen because it introduced so many new things into the world of pokemon. Like Eggs, Day & Night, Berries, Breeding, and some really cool new pokemon. I also like the fact that you could travel to Kanto and collect 16 badges. These games were simply the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.