• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why does everyone LOVE the 2nd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyogre35

First avy..no touchy
I'm a 3rd gen guy myself.

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Vivronkasaur

The Zany Pokemon
love 2nd gen
-2 regions (that are NOT lackluster imo. i just played through the game as well. and i will admit that kanto is ever so slightly lacking now than when i played it like, 8-9 years ago. but it was AMAZING back in the day. [[and usually games are supposed to ADD features not TAKE away *glares at 3rd gen*]])
-Better mechanics
-it improved upon r/b/y IMMENSELY.
-music was awesome.
- 'nuff said.

and i'm getting SO SICK of people saying "don't like it, don't buy it."
how was i supposed to know that i wouldn't like 3rd gen as much before i bought it? Read the reviews that i didn't have access to?
ask my friends? the friends that would never drop it if i told them i was still playing pogeyman?! (i had mean friends xD)
my only beef with 3rd gen is that they took away day/night and my 2nd region...
but i digress.

Kyogre35

First avy..no touchy
love 2nd gen
-2 regions (that are NOT lackluster imo. i just played through the game as well. and i will admit that kanto is ever so slightly lacking now than when i played it like, 8-9 years ago. but it was AMAZING back in the day. [[and usually games are supposed to ADD features not TAKE away *glares at 3rd gen*]])
-Better mechanics
-it improved upon r/b/y IMMENSELY.
-music was awesome.
- 'nuff said.

and i'm getting SO SICK of people saying "don't like it, don't buy it."
how was i supposed to know that i wouldn't like 3rd gen as much before i bought it? Read the reviews that i didn't have access to?
ask my friends? the friends that would never drop it if i told them i was still playing pogeyman?! (i had mean friends xD)
my only beef with 3rd gen is that they took away day/night and my 2nd region...
but i digress.

What about 4th gen? The only reason I don't like 2cd Gen is it's just...old. No updates because it was released a while ago, lowest levels for Gym's and E4, and some short regions. If they change those things, then it might become my Favorite region.

You could always ask to borrow it...

Now The Night/Day thing was nice....

Mkay

Because the game had so much stuff in it I LOVED being able to go back and fight the old gym leaders. That was really fun, and the pokemon were all just strange and unique I still have my level 100 Dunsparce on my gold game haha. :)

Conker

I love the new pokemon, I like the idea in going back to Kanto and fighting the old gym leaders and the stuff they add was great too.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
personaly i think the second gen was made at the right time and got a good part of it's popularity thanks to that. the first gen made a good hit on the pocket and people became very excited when the 2th gen came on a handheld that has colors. i was pretty excited myself that i got a GBC and a silver version at the same time. but then again people who havn't played these games back then will find it hard to understand how good it was back then which makes answering difficult.

Alloute

Not Banned
The 2nd generation appeared at the perfect time; when most fans were getting older and new fans were needed to make some cash for Nintendo.

Blazing Charmander

In hindsight I can see the faults and limitations of GSC, and can appreciate that Game Freak have definitely made measures to improve on them with the 3rd and 4th Generations. Unfortunately, I think that the games came at the wrong time because trying to fit two whole regions onto one Game Boy cartridge was just too much, as shown by a rushed Kanto and small Johto region.

However, I can only say that I thoroughly enjoyed playing through Silver as a ten year old kid and as a result I look back at the generation really fondly. Now that i'm 18, I still love my Silver and Crystal and play them from time to time. When I first played through the games I was astounded by the continuity from RBY to this generation, and really loved travelling through Kanto again. Me and Feraligatr tore through the Gyms, and my mind was simply blown when I encountered Lugia for the first time. The same goes for Ho-Oh and also the shock at seeing the Dogs in the wild for the first time. I was also shocked when the game seemed to be all over, when I found a new place to explore and found none other than Red awaiting me for a battle.

As I said, I love what has been done to improve the franchise in RSE and DPPt, and love travelling round the Hoenn and Sinnoh regions. On the other hand, I feel like Johto won me over the most and i'm not saying that through a nostalgic mist. GSC are honestly the games I was most awestruck over at the time of purchasing. Not even Red and Blue made me feel so happy.

Of course, I now see how linear the games are, but i'm hoping that HeartGold and SoulSilver have the capacity to show us all what Game Freak intended for us given better technology to work with. :D

Last edited:
I think that the variety in Pokemon and the places you could catch them were just amazing.

Like 250 avaliable Pokemon throughout the game at any part of the story?

Rather then the 150, and many of them EXTREMELY lackluster, avaliable in Diamond and Pearl until after the story line, wouldn't you say Gold and Silver win out? And yeah, Kanto wasn't great, but I'm sure ALL of you enjoyed it the first few times through. The enjoyment of the continuing storyline was a thrill.

Also, everyone had to love the Elemental Punch TMs readily avaliable in Goldenrod.

The new features such as day and night, BREEDING, eggs and just the original and creative new Pokemon that I find are so lacking in RSE and DPPt, and the overabundance of stupid legendary pokemon with lame stories behind them is getting ridiculous.

The way the story tied into RBY was just so amazing.

These generations were just amazing to me, everything together just meshes together perfectly.

Needs a Deoxys

People love Johto so much because of how revolutionary it was (breeding, shinies, etc...). Not to mention that you could go to Kanto as well and there were many cool new pokemon and characters. I mean, your red haired rival was straight up Bad Ask!

leilukin

Dragon Tamer
I love 2nd generation because it is the first generation which starts out these features:
Pokemon gender, breeding, visible day and night, clock... (the list is going on).
Also, I love the music.

Nana

Nostalgia and age has a lot to do with it, I'm sure. I liked Crystal a lot, but I wouldn't necessarily hail it above other games.

Surfing_Pikachu

-Memorable characters and plot
-Two regions in one
-You can fight Red (now that's pretty awesome)
-Great new legendaries

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
It was because of all the new innovations that it brought after R/B/Y. And for a lot of people G/S/C was their first Pokemon game, so they'll probably have a bias. I know I do.

Most of my love for Second Gen is nostalgia. That unexplainable thing that makes me love everything about it and keeps me playing it even these days.

Short Wing

Home of the Braviary
I think everyone loves 2nd Gen, because like it was said before, it came out at just the right time, of the pokemon popularity and a two shiny new games were released, but I think the new game mechanics, like time, pokegear, 2 region etc. , and the new pokemon were the main attractions.

Zazie

So 1991
I like 2nd gen because:

The more creative gym types. (The 1st gym leader doesn't use rock types)

The lower levels of all the trainers- I prefer battling pokemon at lower levels as the level range you play through show the most growth. once you pass that range gaining levels is less exciting.

The fact that you can still find most of the old pokemon in the new region. It makes the game feel like it has less of a "new pokemon gimmick"

The fact you can transfer pokemon from older/other games before you beat the game so you actually get a chance to use them.

After you beat the game there is a new quest in Kanto. (I like the idea of a game after the game)

It may not be my favorite but the games are fun and have a lot of unique feature that I really like.

Status
Not open for further replies.