• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why does everyone LOVE the 2nd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masterge77

Floatzel rules!
Everyone loves gen 2 because it introduced a lot of stuff, it introduced genders and breeding, and it introduced the concept of a female player character, and legendary version mascots, and many more mechanics that I can't remember.......

truthwillsetyoufree

Hermione can't draw.
I really like Johto because in crystal, it introduced Kris, the 1st female playable character! You have no idea what it was like for me having to be a boy until then. And i was little, so i used my name :). Good thing my name's not too girly like Betty, or whatever. Cause that would just be weird. I also liked the 3rd generation, but not many other do D:

miloticsavior

YOUR out of order!!
I have to say, I was like 6 when I got these games and I personally thought they were waay to hard. Witney owned me, lance owned me, my rival owned me, hell even bugsy owned me. Not to mention I could never trade and get my favorite pokemon, scizor. So I never much cared for these games.

Lionessmon

G/S are my favourite games because unlike R/B/Y, R/S, D/P/PLt the storyline grabs you from the beginning and there is no pointless wandering from your house to rivals, to a lake and then back again. The starter group is one of the best. Entai and co. keep you busy for hours and the Tin Tower is one puzzle that I still need help to solve. I love the showing of the passage of time on Kanto since the first game, it makes it seem realistic. I can't wait for HG/SS

Crobat breeder

I got to say like Aquadon that this was my first pokemon game so it makes me very sentimental when i play it. Lionessmon's post is so good! Its like he takes the words from my mouth :)

squlicky4

G/S/C are loved so much because they in a way are different to all the other games there something that stands out.
In G/S/C you get a phone a radio and all that jazz in it you dont get that in any other region and i think genarally because the pokemon are good

revamparts

火金木土水
R/S/E and D/P/P did a lot to streamline the menus, traveling, the PC, and came with improved graphics. That's all well and good; I so happy I don't have to switch boxes anymore, but there's always been something lacking in my opinion.

It mostly has to do with the fact that in every generation after G/S/C the pace of battle really quickened and moved away from defensive mechanics. Besides battling that it's not cool to hand out dragons. Pokemon started with a guy collecting insects. Forest spirits, mountain animals, stuff like that is cool. WTF is Aruseus honestly it baffles me.

I will forever headbutt sleeping Aipom from trees.

Because you kinda play them in a whole new way. And the games moved kinda slow, but in a good 'no need to rush' way. They were just alot of fun and had cool pokemon and loads of new stuff XD

Fiery gatoh

The cat crazy queen
It introduced revolutionary new concepts of course! :)
The game was laid back, something you felt you could take your time with and just have fun.

KazMazter

Competitive
I think that one of the main reasons people remember G/S/C as their favourites is simply because it was the sequel to and did improve on what was already an enjoyable game.

I think that memories of the excitement building up to getting the game, and then finally being able to continue the journey is what stands out in most peoples minds, which is why they remember that as their favourite.

My favourite games were G/S/C, simply because they were the last games in the franchise that felt complete (to me). I didn't really have many expectations for it other than hoping there was more to do after the League- Which there was. As for the latest games, I always feel they could've added something here, or changed something there. I guess that just comes with age really.

andymac

I don't really know what it is but, G/S/C just felt really fresh and exciting, while still remaining firmly associated with the originals R/B/Y. While Kanto seemed very traditional and straight, Johto felt like a new exciting region with your backwards cap and new discoveries being made around every corner such as genders, eggs, new Pokemon etc. And then to top it off at the end of the game being able to revisit Kanto and seeing how everything has changed in the 3 years since your last adventure was just amazing. It was also when Pokemon had hit it's stride and was on top of the world, meaning even when you weren't playing it, Pokemon was absolutely everywhere. I guess that's why I believe it to be the best in the franchise.

RukarioX

Lucario Trainer
4th Generation has ugly pokemon, besides Lucario, bad pokemon; Carnivine, Chatot, ect, the legendaries are not cool besides Giratina Darkrai, and Shaymin, Arceus killed Mew even though I prefer Mew, I can go on. The second Generation was great, long game, pokemon moved for the first time in battle when they were sent out, great story, I can go on

Eivana

There Is No NiGHTS!
Honestly I loved it because it was amazing. I mean, everything about it was completely filling. You had more things to do, the music was fantastic, the rival was amazing. You actually got to do things after defeating the Pokemon League, and I even loved the three starter Pokemon more than I did in R/B/Y. I just over all enjoyed the whole game... They were all three wonderful, G/S/C.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Johto is my 2nd favorite region, not mostly cuz of G/S/C, but with the cool pokemon, many places to explore, and legendaries.

The only thing I dislike about Gold and silver is making the player able to travel to Kanto. It's...its like the game creators are trying to steal Kanto from its independence! In HG/SS, they're also making Hoenn legends catchable andthat is stealing imo aswell...
(I sure hope they aren't doing this cuz they aren't planning on making a R/S/E remake... :( )

But overall Johto is still cool!

deoxysdude001

I'm back~~
I feel Generation 2 is praised so highly because it acts as a stepping-stone to what we have today - and pretty much EVERYTHING we have today - the rest would have come naturally in time regardless, though may have taken longer otherise (and I've only read the first 10 or so posts of this thread and a few near here, so I don't know everything everyone's said):

gen. 1 was awesome solely because of it's simplicity and innovation - it was a new and actually rather complex concept on a deeper level, but simple on the surface - this made it ideal for many players - the glitches (though mostly found later on) were awesome and there was a complete unbalance between Mewtwo and every other pokemon, and there was a big gaping hole in the fact only bug pokemon resisted said Mewtwo (type-wise), and the only real options for these were butterfree, Parasect, Scyther and Pinsir (considering both Beedrill and Venamoth took Super-effective hits from Phychic), and both Butterfree and Parasect were crap to be frank, and Pinsir was slow, but regardless, him and Scyther and anything else fast and strong were the only things that could possibly defy Mewtwo, meaning he swept the floor with the opposing team everytime they lacked another of himself or possibly Mew on a good day - Aerodactyl, Jolteon and Electrode are the only things that could ever outrun it (Electrode easily - but the massive speed meant weak stats everywhere else - still no match for mewtwo, and the other two drawing with mewtwo in base speed), leaving 6 possible counters that were all shaky, possibly even negligable, and only 7 if you include himself, which would be pointless because you could say that for most pokemon xD - also, Mewtwo's typing only left him weak to bug-type moves, which mostly only bug types learnt

Gen. 2 solved that - with the introduction of Dark and Steel-type pokemon: They evend out the Typing to make it fairer, made a type entirely resitant to Mewtwo's only STAB type, and gave is three weaknesses, one being dark, one being bug, and one being it's old immunity - ghost - this made Mewtwo far less threatening, along with the addition of three new Ubers, 2 of which were Psychic also - and with two regions, 100 more Pokemon and new game mechanics (i.e. the seperation of Special Attack and Defence) and Breeding, Generation 2 of Pokemon was the stepping stone, at least in my opinion, to the pokemon games we have today - without it, we may still be stuck on "Fight = Physical- and Fire = Special- Attack"-eske mechanics

Bellyzard

After reading through this thread, it's obvious a lot of reasoning behind it being the so called "greatest generation" is nostalgia. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the matter, but I see more valid discussion from people going against it, although there is some good reasoning behind both sides. Personally I would put Gen 2 on par with Gen 3 for me. Gen 4 was my favorite, for many reasons but that's not what this thread is about.

Something about G/S/C just feels incomplete, like there could have been so much more done with it. People who say they liked it because of it's superior plot line, but I have to ask why? How is D/P/Pt storyline in any way inferior to it. Team Rocket in Johto just seems like they were put in solely for the fact that there would be more then just Gym battles. G/S/C has been the only game where I felt if I didn't interfere with their plans that the world would be fine, the whole "lol child stopping criminal masterminds while almost no one else does anything" not withstanding. All they did was chop off Slowpoke tails for money, albeit cruel not really all that important, force magikarp to evolve, and try to call their former leader who clearly didn't have any interest in returning based off events from the previous game. The legendaries were not really giving much of a back story, although that has happened recently as well, but only because the absurd amount of legendaries that they keep adding. Ho-oh and Lugia played very little to nothing in the storyline, been a while since I have played G/S/C. The main legendaries in future generations all played a pivotal role in the plot, and actually felt like they mattered as legendaries and weren't just random add for the sake of having them. Crystal added a little story for Suicune, which wasn't all that bad but it didn't really lead up to much. Compared to future generations it just doesn't feel like it was a good storyline, probably even worse then Gen 1, which at least made it seem urgent that team rocket be stopped. People seem to like that Johto was an actual sequel instead of just another new storyline. I don't get the big deal with this. Obviously R/S/E wasn't gonna have anything to do with Kanto and Johto things. It's a totally different place far from it. Johto made sense being connected to Kanto and all, but Team Rocket really didn't do many memorable things that would cause world wide news. D/P/Pt kind of implemented some connection to Johto, but it really seemed pointless and more of way to show that it was happening the same time as Johto, also making it unable to reference R/S/E because it hadn't happened yet.

Another thing people seem to enjoy was being able to revisit Kanto, Honestly to me Kanto just seem to be put in to appeal to people because it was there first pokemon game, and to show people new to the series kind of what happened before. After I beat the Elite four I was extravagant to go back to Kanto and re-challenge all the gyms I had beaten previously, but shortly after beating the first few gyms it just felt like I was only going gym to gym with nothing in between, aside from that lame rocket (did that Power plant thing tie into the story at all? I forget.) Kanto looked like a nuclear war had broken out, Viridian forest, Seafoam island, Mt. Moon, Cinnibar and no safari zone, completely butchered. Even the big ending where we get to fight the character we were in the first game, was probably the biggest disappointment to the ending of a story I have ever seen. What's the big obsession with Red he is such a lame character, he could have been generic Youngster #4156 and it would have been the same lame result of "..."(battle)"...", not even any recognition or congratulations from red, he just becomes a sore loser and disappears forever. Frankly if they would have axed Kanto and just made a little reference to it, and expanded Johto it would have been alot more enjoyable, and increase it's replay value for, me anyways.

While I enjoyed some of the 100 new pokemon, there was just as many stupid pokemon, every generation has it's gems and crappy pokemons. Pokemon like Girafarig, Dunsparce, Corsola, Qwilfish, etc..., the only generation that hasn't been all the spectacular was the 4th generation, but even it had quite a few pokemon that were interesting.

I do have to say the Johto had a lot of things that were superior to the other generations. It had the best rival by far. Blue/Gary was just a generic superiority complex who thought he was better then you no matter what, and it took him until the end of the storyline to have a little character development, if you could call it that. R/S/E had the assistant of the professor as your rival but they were the worst by far, they had a good start going for them put fell apart and removed about halfway through the game. I guess Wally could count but he only makes an appearance near the end, most likely just so the games could kind of remain consistent. Barry wasn't to bad, but he felt more like a friendly rivalry which is kind of boring, although he was probably the funnier rival, he just didn't feel as epic as silver. Silver start off well with stealing pokemon, and although he slowly starts to feel like the lame "I'm the best and your just pathetic" Gary knock off, when he meets lance and slowly starts realizing what it takes to win, he reall starts to develop, while still kind of retaining that cockiness that made us love him in the first place.

Johto also had the most enjoyable music, places like the unown ruins had awesome music. It also implemented many new features, some that are really the staples of today's game. Breeding, Night and Day, Shinies, Female characters and the Battle Tower, to name a few. As well as fixing many problems that R/B/Y had mainly psychic imbalance, the stupid Pokeball system. I can't just see this as a good reason why it's so enjoyable I guess if you played the first games and got frustrated with that kind of thing, I guess. If that's enough to get over the many things wrong with the game, all the better for you, but for people who started with them seems like they got the shaft. Also the metagame sucked hard, Curselax was a whole new level of broken not seen until Garchomp. (Possibly even more)

All in all alot of potential but poorly executed with the technology they had at the time. If it R/S/E and it were switched it probably could have been better, story was lame though, but I guess when you're 10 it doesn't matter much. If Kanto had been ignored it could've have realized it's potential.

Anyway that's just my opinion and if you liked it this shouldn't change any opinion you have, I just feel many have a problem with looking at things with rose colored glasses and don't give a lot of justification other then it was when they were younger and pokemon just felt more exciting back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.