• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why does everyone LOVE the 2nd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skwog_the_whale

.Change.Chaos.
I think 2nd generation was the best because for a lot of people, or at least people that I know, stopped playing after 2nd generation. The kind of grew out of playing gameboy, and the last game they played was a 2nd generation Pokemon game. Plus, in my opinion, it had the best storyline. The story kept going after you beat the Elite Four. Though it went by extremely fast, I still feel like it had the best storyline, as well as the best selection of Pokemon.

Kiwy

yeap totally agree with that, besides it was the introduction of very cool pokes like umbreon scyzor steelix tyranitar kingdra etc

kabzy

Grass Trainer
yeah i really liked it cause it had the kanto leaders too, and the new pokemon like blissey. Youre right about that being the last gen most people played. i played 3rd gen way after it came out, and i thought that apart from a few pokemon, it was just a letdown.

GolemGuy

Better Than Thou
Disagreeing with most people here, I have to say that I do not like the 2nd Gen much. It only contributed one or two Pokemon to my favorites list (Feraligatr and Jumpluff) was overly easy, had the Whirl Islands and Mt. Mortar, and everything is super fast.

Johto + Kanto in 2nd Gen is just about as big as Hoenn or Sinnoh alone.

Surfer_Dude

Aspiring Guitarist
I loved the 2nd gen!
Good pokemon, good gym leaders, good everything.
The 2 regions where pretty good too!

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I've seen about half of the members here bashing this generation so I don't know what you're talkin' 'bout.

I love the Gym Leaders, the region, the Pokemon, the whole story.

Alpha Gamer

Strength & Strategy
I loved the 2nd gen because it brought sooo many new innovations to the pokemon world that we still use today such as day/night, time, breeding, friendship evolutions, and so much more, it was a huge leap in advancement from the 1st gen. Plus GSC had Kanto in it which gave you the opportunity to collect 16 badges and the pokemon were awesome although I wish there was a better selection of pokemon and types before the Elite 4 but overall these were the best games and Johto is my favorite region hands down.

Electricbluewolf

*pours beans down the waterslide*
I loved the second gen as loads of stuff was different! The real time, intruding day and night, the free dogs running around. Yer, it's not perfect, but you have to agree it was good.

Wigglytuff FTW!

Oh hi thar
I love all the generations, gen. 3 especially.
I - RB were the first, so instant classics. And, back then, pokemon was seriouslly Bad*ss, it seems like Tajiri almost didn't care about contraversy. Pokemon dieing, Jynx, all these things make them seem a little more towards older audiences
II - The low levels were most likley because of the spread between 2 regions, and Kanto being a nuclear wasteland couldn't be helped, the game's memory were packed full, not leaving much room, yet people always complain about which makes no sense! But on the giood side, it introduced awesome Pokemon, new mechanics that would shape the future of Pokemon, with the mix of new age tech and old style surroundings, they were great games.
III (RSE) - This one recieves a lot of critisizem, even though it was a HUGE step up in terms of graphics and even mechanics. Even though the water routes were a tad annoying, it doesn't hinder team building, it is a change from walking around everywhere. The Pokemon also don't get a lot of respect, but why? They are AMAZING, and it's good that they're getting more and more creative, so it's not just bland lookin'.
III (FRLG) - A big step up from RBY, with more detail, aesthetic changes, the Sevii Islands, which were planned to be put in RB but didn't make it, these were a bit of just a rewash, really, but it also let people (like me) get to travel through Kanto for the first time even though the originals are out of our age. Great games, but a little could've been changed.
IV (DPPt) - Also a big basher's target, these games were almost as big of a step up from Gen. 3 as RS was to GSC. To me, it has a fresh feel, although they didn't throw in a remake between DP and Pt, like with RS and E, so Sinnoh did get a little boring, but the Sinnoh region introduced some fairly cool looking Pokes. Although the evil team was stupid, and they went overboard on the number and abilities of legendaries, the region still has a kind of, new feel. And it does start to gear more towards competitive battling, but all in all, the graphics are nice and the region is fun to explore with all of its different terrains.
IV (HGSS) - Despite being a remake, the Johto gyms still SUCK in terms of levels and Pokemon, but again with the 2 region spread. The updated graphics are nice and there are plenty of things that make you go, "Nice touch!". Pokemon following you, it would've nice if they would've added an option of not having them follow you, but ya know. The awesome graphics and new features, these seem to be great games (although I've not played them yet...).

All in all, people must be really bored or just in a bad mood to bash the different generations. They are all great in my mind and people need to stop bashing just because there's a few bad things. It's annoying.

lucario99

Red is pure awesome
2nd gen doesnt deserve all the love and glory its gets imo
the only good thing that came out of the 2nd gen were
scizor
The three dogs
The starters
Ho-oH
Lugia
And thats all i like about 2nd gen

Adlas

I love all the generations, gen. 3 especially.
I - RB were the first, so instant classics. And, back then, pokemon was seriouslly Bad*ss, it seems like Tajiri almost didn't care about contraversy. Pokemon dieing, Jynx, all these things make them seem a little more towards older audiences
II - The low levels were most likley because of the spread between 2 regions, and Kanto being a nuclear wasteland couldn't be helped, the game's memory were packed full, not leaving much room, yet people always complain about which makes no sense! But on the giood side, it introduced awesome Pokemon, new mechanics that would shape the future of Pokemon, with the mix of new age tech and old style surroundings, they were great games.
III (RSE) - This one recieves a lot of critisizem, even though it was a HUGE step up in terms of graphics and even mechanics. Even though the water routes were a tad annoying, it doesn't hinder team building, it is a change from walking around everywhere. The Pokemon also don't get a lot of respect, but why? They are AMAZING, and it's good that they're getting more and more creative, so it's not just bland lookin'.
III (FRLG) - A big step up from RBY, with more detail, aesthetic changes, the Sevii Islands, which were planned to be put in RB but didn't make it, these were a bit of just a rewash, really, but it also let people (like me) get to travel through Kanto for the first time even though the originals are out of our age. Great games, but a little could've been changed.
IV (DPPt) - Also a big basher's target, these games were almost as big of a step up from Gen. 3 as RS was to GSC. To me, it has a fresh feel, although they didn't throw in a remake between DP and Pt, like with RS and E, so Sinnoh did get a little boring, but the Sinnoh region introduced some fairly cool looking Pokes. Although the evil team was stupid, and they went overboard on the number and abilities of legendaries, the region still has a kind of, new feel. And it does start to gear more towards competitive battling, but all in all, the graphics are nice and the region is fun to explore with all of its different terrains.
IV (HGSS) - Despite being a remake, the Johto gyms still SUCK in terms of levels and Pokemon, but again with the 2 region spread. The updated graphics are nice and there are plenty of things that make you go, "Nice touch!". Pokemon following you, it would've nice if they would've added an option of not having them follow you, but ya know. The awesome graphics and new features, these seem to be great games (although I've not played them yet...).

All in all, people must be really bored or just in a bad mood to bash the different generations. They are all great in my mind and people need to stop bashing just because there's a few bad things. It's annoying.

I would like to say that I mostly agree with this statement. I really don't see the need for bashing a certain generation. Or bashing in general.

YoYie

I you bet
everybody loves them because they were 6-7 back then. nostalgia, although i'm probably not the first to say it :)

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
everybody loves them because they were 6-7 back then. nostalgia, although i'm probably not the first to say it :)

Most people were young I suppose. Nostalgia is the most common answer.

I liked how basic the games were in the 2nd gen.

Phailsafe

Like a Boss!
The reason I loved GSC was the fact that you traveled back to Kanto. I loved battling the gym leaders again, and it was awesome battling Red.

freakyboy05

Swing the bat

I was going to say that.

Zazie

So 1991

I wasn't six or seven at the time and I liked 2nd gen (though it most likely isn't my favorite). While there is undoubtabley a lot of people that only like 1st or 2nd gen because of nostalgia there is also the strong chance that someon likes the games because they are fun.

Anyway everyone doesn't love the 2nd gen there are a lot of older people who think "pokemon should have stopped at 150". Most of those people don't post on Pokemon forums though.

Cus of the trees man, they were friggin green and the watter was blue D:

What I'm trying to say is, it offered plenty for people who played the first gen, and the visuals were far superior. Seriously, I remember the first time I played crystal after racking up over 100 hours of playtime on Pokemon Red; I was mesmerized

Status
Not open for further replies.