• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why does everyone LOVE the 2nd?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
Okay. As you can see this is a spin off of "Why does everyone HATE the 4th/3rd Gen?" only with a different question. GSC is hailed as the best games of the Pokemon franchise. But does it really deserve so much love? I replayed it a few days ago and the main region had crappy leveled gyms, was so horribly liner, and almost no Johto pokemon, whislt Kanto was a big dustbowl. It was.. um.. very bad

Why do these games get soo much parsie? They havn't aged well IMHO. I just want to see YOUR resons whay you LOVE (or dislike) the 2nd Generation

electricwolf

In my opinion it was the best. So much was introduced in GSC that made it so different to the previous generation. Time, phone and the new pokemon actually looked good. It was a massive improvement on RBY, although the same can't be said for other games in the pokemon series.

Concept

Führer of Fun
1st gen had awful graphics, an unbalanced type chart, and a lot of problems with the battle mechanics, but awesome pokemon. Had Giovanni.

2nd gen fixed the type chart, the mechanics (mostly), had more awesome pokemon, pretty cool graphics. Had Eusine as well, who pips Cyrus and Giovanni to the post as the single most awesome character in the games. Kanto felt a little lacking.

3rd gen had awful pokemon, no real change in battle mechanics, graphics designed to burn your eyes out with their sheer brightness, and ridiculous villain teams. The overabundance of water routes in the later game restricted viable team options, as after level 30 tops there was little opportunity to level your water weak pokes.

4th gen had improved mechanics and plot, but introduced minimal new pokemon, and the ones they did introduce were largely ugly in a lot of peoples opinions. Also, it introduced fewer non-legendary pokemon that weren't evo's of earlier work that any previous gen (65 as compared to 84 in the second gen; count yourself if you don't believe me). Focus on pokemon suitable for competitive play alienated a lot of casual fans. The availability of godlike pokemon in the main plot just made it feel ridiculous. Great graphics and battle mechnics though.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
You know, there's already been a thread on this.

It was titled "Why does everyone love the 2nd generation?"

Incidentally, it's in the same board as this one, and it's locked. Look a few pages back.

And if you want answers, look for the thread "9999 reasons you love Johto".

Or at least I think that was the name.

You know, there's already been a thread on this.

It was titled "Why does everyone love the 2nd generation?"

Incidentally, it's in the same board as this one, and it's locked. Look a few pages back.

And if you want answers, look for the thread "9999 reasons you love Johto".

Or at least I think that was the name.

If it's locked, no one can post, he obviously wants fresh insights, or to pose a new question since he can't in a locked thread. And the second thread was deleted by a mod because he/she (Can't remember) felt like all the people who had an extra 300 posts from that thread were spamming to earn it, so it was deleted.

derekkoch

Ich bin der Kapitän
guys you have to remember the 2nd is the best because it introduced the most between 2 gens it had 2 regions

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
If it's locked, no one can post, he obviously wants fresh insights, or to pose a new question since he can't in a locked thread. And the second thread was deleted by a mod because he/she (Can't remember) felt like all the people who had an extra 300 posts from that thread were spamming to earn it, so it was deleted.

It was deleted?

Could have sworn it was just locked.

Ah well.

TrainerCasey

~Johto Fanatic~
I liked the 2nd the most just because of the pokemon, region, and gym leaders.
The first one was really generic in my opinion so G/S really add some more detail to the game with alot more items and different ways of finding pokemon.

Dracomaster16

Storm Trainer
Dude, the 2nd gen introduced game mechanics previously unseen. It had crappy leveled gyms though (once my Pupitar evolved into Tyranitar somewhere during the 6th gym, that was it for the game!) and crappy e4, plus a completely useless region added to advertise the game! The 1st generation had the worst graphics known to man (I COULD NOT SEE FOR THE MOST PART OF THE GAME), but it was still fun and rewarding. The 3rd generation was better than the 2nd gen, but it removed a lot of the features. In my opinion, the 4th gen(platinum specifically) was the best game of the franchise! aside from girly pokemon and the most awkward grass starter, it had many of the gen 2 features re-implemented/improved into the game! It had one of the most brutal champion battles in history! But i think HG/SS WILL make a better game out of G/S/C and will prosper:)

~Spacial_Rendation~

De Ibwis Twigga!
guys you have to remember the 2nd is the best because it introduced the most between 2 gens it had 2 regions
One Dustbowl and one Liner region =/= good game.
If Kanto was the same size as RBY and that Johto was 10folded it would of counted as 2 regions. But their both lackluster. I also want to kill myself if I ever hear that DREADFUL "Mary's poketalk" music agian (You took out that Cerulean City music for no reason and put that crap in?).
Sure it intorduced Shines, breeding, selecting items, hold items and whatnot. But that's just the ketchup on a crap sandwitch.

Thats why when I saw the new HGSS map. I was exited that they put in new areas. That's why HGSS will be better than GS.

Last edited:

Zonn13

87% Indubitable.
... thank you so much for making this thread. I have always liked Johto as a second favorite, but, as of now... I am absolutely fed up with all the "GEN 1/2 FTW!!!!!111one1!!1111 3/4 R CRAP" people. I, personally, am more of a Sinnoh person.

Silver was my first Pokemon game, but definitely NOT my favorite.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
3rd gen had awful pokemon, no real change in battle mechanics, graphics designed to burn your eyes out with their sheer brightness, and ridiculous villain teams. The overabundance of water routes in the later game restricted viable team options, as after level 30 tops there was little opportunity to level your water weak pokes.
Metagross would like to have a word with you.

Also, the reason they had so many water routes is that they are symbolically showing the conflict between land and sea.

Otherwise, I will say that the second gen did have its flaws, but there were so many wonderful things about it. It introduce very good Pokemon. It reflects a more ancient atmosphere. It also had some cool characters in it.

Jumpman93

Rock on.
Nice point about the symbolism, I always just thought it was a more "natural" place.

But GenII had TWO regions.

That's why.

[/thread] XD

Concept

Führer of Fun
Metagross would like to have a word with you.

Also, the reason they had so many water routes is that they are symbolically showing the conflict between land and sea.

Otherwise, I will say that the second gen did have its flaws, but there were so many wonderful things about it. It introduce very good Pokemon. It reflects a more ancient atmosphere. It also had some cool characters in it.

I don't care why they had so many water routes, it still gimped a lot of pokemon types. Metagross looks passable, I suppose. If you squint.

The second gen improved massively on the first gen. The third gen then didn't, as it had major issues (like the overabundance of water routes and the villain team plots that outright wouldn't work), plus the change in pokemon style upset a lot of people. Fourth gen kept the third gen pokemon style that a lot of older fans dislike, and although the gameplay and graphics were greatly improved, was geared too much towards competitive play to appeal much to the casual gamer. Personally, I like FRLG best, but GSC is a close second.

Elrade

Snarky snark snark.
I call it OoT syndrome. A game that revolutionizes a series (G/S/C, LoZ: OoT) is often considered the best, even if later games (D/P/P/HG/SS, LoZ: WW or TP) are much, much better, if you look at them from a gameplay standpoint.

Last edited:

Concept

Führer of Fun
I call it OoT syndrome. A game that revolutionizes a series (G/S/C, LoZ: OoT) is often considered the best, even if later games (D/P/P/HG/SS, LoZ: WW) are much, much better.

Off-topic, but IMHO TP was better than both WW and OoT. Which game is best in a series is a matter of personal opinion; you can't just claim "DPPt is best; absolute truth", especially without making any justifications. I mean, that's just asking to be flamed. Either say why you love the second gen or say why you don't.

Semreth

I don't love the second generation at all, to be honest. Sure, it added a lot of cool new features but the Johto region was awful and so was the 'Kanto' region tacked on at the end of it.

I much prefer the third generation above all others. Have not played much of D/P/Pl yet but they just dont seem that much better in terms of graphics and gameplay. Setting/Pokemon wise though I like what they've done. The exception being the lack of fire types in Diamond and Pearl.

Tyrant Tar

I call it OoT syndrome. A game that revolutionizes a series (G/S/C, LoZ: OoT) is often considered the best, even if later games (D/P/P/HG/SS, LoZ: WW or TP) are much, much better, if you look at them from a gameplay standpoint.

^This, plus the two regions, the nice mix of high-tech (Time machines, cell phones, etc.) and ancient atmosphere (Tin/Burned/Sprout Towers, Legendaries a bit more prominent, etc.), a 'realistic' amount of Pokemon to catch to complete the Pokedex, the fairly easy gameplay, and all the connections to Kanto (story, physically, Gen 1 getting new pr/evos in 'logical' ways). And I still watched the Anime when it came out, so that kinda added something to it.

I suppose nothing really makes Gen II better than III or IV, besides nostalgia...

Gys, we all have our own favorite gens.

Some may like the new, improved graphics of the 4th gen.
Some may like the basic technique of the 1st gen.

I like Johto better for many reasons. So? Its my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.