• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why does given Pokemon bother people

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Like in terms of Togekiss and Dragonite, why does it bother fans so much? They were the last additions to Iris' and Dawn's teams and it's not like they haven't raised Pokemon prior those guys captures. And to the argument "they didn't even evolve them" Pokemon makes it very clear it's more to being a trainer than evolving them and plus Dragonite was caught towards the ending of BW and Dawn'a Togekiss literally was caught about 15 epaiodes before Sinnoh Leauge Victors and DP in general was ending, so catching a new Pokemon and evolving them without it feeling rushed and forced wasn't really possibly. Anyway discuss

snorlax512

Dragonite isn't that bad imo because Iris had to work for it. Togekiss however Dawn didn't put in any effort and was just given to her on a plate. Also, it wasn't like these captures were just fillers. Togekiss was used in the grand festival final for gods sake.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Because it's more satisfying when a trainer bonds with their pre-evolved state and evolves them in a clutch situation, DEM or not. There's nothing wrong with having some of the Pokemon "given" to them though, and in Iris's case, the whole point of Dragonite wasn't it's capture, but the process of being able to stay calm in front of Iris. Dawn's Togekiss was merely there to complete a full team. A minor gripe I have with this though is that there were better options. For Iris, it would have been better to fully evolve her Axew into a Haxorus, in which the latter disobeys her. Sounds very cliche, but it works. Dawn should have just kept her Ambipom as her 6th member if the writers were so keen on giving her a full team.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Dawn getting Togekiss felt more forced to me since it was handed to her for free basically. Iris bonded with and caught Dragonite, which isn't really that bad at all imo especially since she had disobedience issues with it. I would have liked to see it handled a different way though by having Iris capturing it as a dratini or a Dragonair.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
It's never bothered me in any way, but I guess it's kinda understandable in cases of evolved Pokemon maybe. If we're talking young Pokemon though, then I wouldn't see why being given it would be a problem. As long as there are some Pokemon that are earned the "normal way".

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Because Iris didn't deserve a fully evolved Dragon just being handed to her. She did jack to deserve one. Axew should have evolved before she even got a second dragon.... She didn't even need another Pokemon at all.

Dawn is excused cause they ditched Ambipom and waited too late in the show to properly give her something and develop it to be contest fit.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Because Iris didn't deserve a fully evolved Dragon just being handed to her. She did jack to deserve one. Axew should have evolved before she even got a second dragon.... She didn't even need another Pokemon at all.

Dawn is excused cause they ditched Ambipom and waited too late in the show to properly give her something and develop it to be contest fit.

Disagree completely. Dawn getting Togekiss was completely pointless and she got it for free while at least Iris worked towards trying to control Dragonite.

DatsRight

It's truthfully no more being 'handed' a powerhouse than when the plot randomly evolves one of an existing Pokemon in a tight spot. The trainer was still handed that Pokemon either way.

If anything Iris' case was better handled because the fully evolved Pokemon actually still had tons of issues that were only more problematic due to it's high level. It was a case of reality ensuing when they just got the Pokemon without proper training.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
It's truthfully no more being 'handed' a powerhouse than when the plot randomly evolves one of an existing Pokemon in a tight spot. The trainer was still handed that Pokemon either way.

If anything Iris' case was better handled because the fully evolved Pokemon actually still had tons of issues that were only more problematic due to it's high level. It was a case of reality ensuing when they just got the Pokemon without proper training.

That's pretty much almost every evolution of the series lol

snorlax512

I don't think evolutions happen completely randomly in the anime. When some Pokemon are forced to their limit, they have the determination and willpower to evolve in order to help out their trainer. In a similar way how chimchars blaze doesn't activate randomly, it activates because of his determination to defend Ash and to prove his worth to Paul.

DatsRight

That's pretty much almost every evolution of the series lol

Well not Caterpie or Charmander, or that one time Paras in the OS. They actually did the hard work first. That's pretty much it though.

I don't think evolutions happen completely randomly in the anime. When some Pokemon are forced to their limit, they have the determination and willpower to evolve in order to help out their trainer. In a similar way how chimchars blaze doesn't activate randomly, it activates because of his determination to defend Ash and to prove his worth to Paul.

It still feels pretty much like getting the evolution just because you really, really want it though. Noibat certainly didn't train to become Noivern (though I admit it did kind of show in his track record, so like Dragonite, they did sort of acknowledge that).

Last edited:

snorlax512

It still feels pretty much like getting the evolution just because you really, really want it though. Noibat certainly didn't train to become Noivern (though I admit it did kind of show in his track record, so like Dragonite, they did sort of acknowledge that).
I feel like this is a nice mechanism; pokemon who have the experience can muster their willpower to evolve for their trainers. Obviously there is still the problem that some pokemon haven't "gone through enough" to deserve an evolution yet, but I'd say most of them deserve it.

DatsRight

I feel like this is a nice mechanism; pokemon who have the experience can muster their willpower to evolve for their trainers. Obviously there is still the problem that some pokemon haven't "gone through enough" to deserve an evolution yet, but I'd say most of them deserve it.

The problem is if it happens too often it starts to become too prevalent as a deus ex machina method, especially from how many Pokemon evolve in the show (and sometimes more than once). It would be nice if it was triggered by doing PART of the hard work first at least.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Neither capture of Togekiss or Dragonite bother me. I don't think either were bad marks of Dawn or Iris. What bothers me is how they were used when captured. Togekiss essentially was basically just given to Dawn to have a flying Pokemon for the Zoey battle. Beyond that it did nothing else but beat up TR's Pokemon which I do not consider a accomplishment by any means as anyone with a Pokemon can beat up TR. So Togekiss's capture doesn't bother me. How it was used does, because it didn't accomplish anything with Dawn.

Dragonite is the opposite with Iris. They gave it accomplishments but Iris cannot take credit for them. Iris did not defeat Georgia or Dawn in that tournament. They lost to what is essentially a glorified uber wild Pokemon. Iris is just standing there looking like a noob and taking credit for work that is not her own. What they should have done is have Dragonite be disobedient and get beat down by Beartic and or Mamoswine, have Iris figure out how to beat them, get Dragonite to work with her and then defeat the two ice Pokemon in the tournament through Iris's own skills, but still hint at disobedience for Iris to have to deal with in the future. This way you can have Georgia and Dawn actually look strong against Dragonite and make Iris the real star by having her come up with the strategies that Dragonite uses to beat the two ice Pokemon, instead of Pokemon's usual bs of having a Pokemon with 4x weakness tanking moves that should kill it for no reason at all.

So those are my real problems with Togekiss and Dragonite. I don't care how they got caught. Pokemon have been given away since OS. It's how they are handled afterwords that needs to be looked at.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Neither capture of Togekiss or Dragonite bother me. I don't think either were bad marks of Dawn or Iris. What bothers me is how they were used when captured. Togekiss essentially was basically just given to Dawn to have a flying Pokemon for the Zoey battle. Beyond that it did nothing else but beat up TR's Pokemon which I do not consider a accomplishment by any means as anyone with a Pokemon can beat up TR. So Togekiss's capture doesn't bother me. How it was used does, because it didn't accomplish anything with Dawn.

Dragonite is the opposite with Iris. They gave it accomplishments but Iris cannot take credit for them. Iris did not defeat Georgia or Dawn in that tournament. They lost to what is essentially a glorified uber wild Pokemon. Iris is just standing there looking like a noob and taking credit for work that is not her own. What they should have done is have Dragonite be disobedient and get beat down by Beartic and or Mamoswine, have Iris figure out how to beat them, get Dragonite to work with her and then defeat the two ice Pokemon in the tournament through Iris's own skills, but still hint at disobedience for Iris to have to deal with in the future. This way you can have Georgia and Dawn actually look strong against Dragonite and make Iris the real star by having her come up with the strategies that Dragonite uses to beat the two ice Pokemon, instead of Pokemon's usual bs of having a Pokemon with 4x weakness tanking moves that should kill it for no reason at all.

So those are my real problems with Togekiss and Dragonite. I don't care how they got caught. Pokemon have been given away since OS. It's how they are handled afterwords that needs to be looked at.

Well in Iris' defence she was called out and didn't take credit for those wins as Georgia and Burgendy called her out on it. But I totally agree about how Dragonite beating Beartic and Mamoswine (if that's how it's spelt). If it was pure dragon understandable kinda but he had a 4x weakness

As for Dawn I don't really think they could of given Togekiss anything really Sinnoh league victors had like 20 episodes and they needed to wrap up Ash's gym battle with Volkner and the league/festival. Some could of argued she should of kept Aipom or whatever but why keep another normal type?

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Dragonite isn't that bad imo because Iris had to work for it. Togekiss however Dawn didn't put in any effort and was just given to her on a plate.

Yea I never had a problem with Iris catching Dragonite cuz she had to work on gaining his trust and making him obedient which took months, whereas Dawn got Togekiss for free and I only remember there being one episode in Dp where Dawn had issues with Togekiss. I'm against the cast getting gift pokemon. :[

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I think with Dragonite the issue was "why does a one region companion get a psuedo-legendary before the main character, who's been around for five regions", making it seem unfair

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I don't mind Pokemon being gifted but the reasons why they are given and how they are used/achievements they make need to be written well.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I think with Dragonite the issue was "why does a one region companion get a psuedo-legendary before the main character, who's been around for five regions", making it seem unfair

Oh please, it wasn't Ash's birthright to own a "pseudo-legendary" Pokemon, so the fairness argument is a fallacy. Fans just hated the fact that Iris caught a strong Pokemon. Hell, they hated anything that she did. :/

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster

The thing is that IRis did at least have to deal with the consequences of getting a new pokemon that didn't have a reason to obey her. That gave Iris an interesting challenge to deal with for a change. And dramatically going from cheery Axew to the proud and brutal dragonite was a lot more exiting than just seeing Iris slowly develop with Axew.

The issue I have with trainers being given pokemon too easily is that its a wasted opportunity. The anime has so much filler and wastes so much time, why not spend some giving the companion's pokemon a fun origin story?