• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why does given Pokemon bother people

In defense of Iris, at least she went to the trouble of trying to prove that Dragonite didn't intentionally cause the blackout and in the process earned a little respect from Dragonite, enough for him to want her as his trainer.

He wasn't "handed" to her.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
In defense of Iris, at least she went to the trouble of trying to prove that Dragonite didn't intentionally cause the blackout and in the process earned a little respect from Dragonite, enough for him to want her as his trainer.

This. While it could have been handled better, I think it was better than Dawn just getting a Togekiss out of nowhere.

This. While it could have been handled better, I think it was better than Dawn just getting a Togekiss out of nowhere.

I'll admit it absolutely could have been handled better. Personally I think it would have been better if she at least still had to battle Dragonite first, if only to show that she progressed enough as a trainer to be able to take it on. Even if it was a short battle using Excadrill.

It boggles my mind how some fans claim that Dragonite was handed to Iris when it isn't true in the slightest, yet these same fans ignore how Togekiss was literally handed to Dawn. The hypocrisy is too much.

Marianna

Togekiss was just given to her to fill an Ambipom void left behind.

I don't really remember Dragonite that well so I'm unsure.

Alloutℯ

Banned

Exactly, but I get the feeling that most fans were just salty that Ash didn't catch that Dragonite himself, so Iris got bashed for getting it instead.

Spyro39

Exactly, but I get the feeling that most fans were just salty that Ash didn't catch that Dragonite himself, so Iris got bashed for getting it instead.

I don't think fans would've been bothered if Dragonite was just handed to Ash without the need for him to put in any effort whatsoever. In fact, they'd probably be happy that he got Dragonite, regardless of the circumstances.

Leonhart

Imagineer
What? Really? I could've sworn they were more annoyed when Ash released Goodra, but then were happy when it came back for the Kalos League.

I'm sure more fans were opposed to Numelgon's departure, but I can imagine some fans disliking Numelgon for the fact that it was so strong and made some of Satoshi's other Pokemon seem somewhat inferior.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Because they are some shitty solutions to power up their teams without any build up to their strength. If the main reason why Iris got Dragonite was to develop their bond and Iris in generell, then it would've been better if she catched a rather sassy first stager evolving all to the final stage because Iris trained and bonded to him decently enough and at the end solving all the problems Dragonite had in a at least Goodra level of quality.

But no, the Dragonite subplot was done in mere episodes and it rather felt like a cheap way to give Iris her first "strong" dragon.

Togekiss was as bad and just was a proof of how shitty the decision was to free Ambipom.

Last edited:

SinnohEevee

I didn't like how Goodra evolved too quickly. They should have made Ash raise it till the end of the series.

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Because people want training episodes with base and middle forms evolving in them instead of filler, no matter how bad either of those concepts could/would be or are.

They want their childhood back. AG/early DP was most salty people's childhood, and they want it back.

Also racial bigotry with Iris being black and getting supposedly "free" stuff w/o labor, which, in bigots' minds, parallels the racist stereotype of black people living off of welfare and not as working hard/getting jobs as white people supposedly do.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
Because people want training episodes with base and middle forms evolving in them instead of filler, no matter how bad either of those concepts could/would be or are.

They want their childhood back. AG/early DP was most salty people's childhood, and they want it back.

Also racial bigotry with Iris being black and getting supposedly "free" stuff w/o labor, which, in bigots' minds, parallels the racist stereotype of black people living off of welfare and not as working hard/getting jobs as white people supposedly do.

I always thought Iris was interpreted to be black:not only did her skin give me that impression but her hair style looks very different from the rest of the Pokemon characters too. Not to mention that Unova is based off America where a lot of black people live.

p96822

Evolve me please
Well Iris wasn't given Dragonite like Togekiss was toward Dawn. She Caught Dragonite so why are we talking about Iris' Dragonite in this forum?

Spyro39

Well Iris wasn't given Dragonite like Togekiss was toward Dawn. She Caught Dragonite so why are we talking about Iris' Dragonite in this forum?

Everyone argues that Iris was given Dragonite because of:

1. How powerful it was already shown to be.
2. How it was already in its final evolution.
3. How it willingly joined her without her needing to battle it and catch it.

I don't agree with anyone that says Iris was "given Dragonite on a silver platter", because she was the only one to tame it when it went rogue and berserk, then had to work hard to earn its obedience when it wouldn't listen to her. But some say the better solution for Iris getting a Dragonite was to catch its base form Dratini and then train it all the way up to a Dragonite, which would've shown her better growth towards her goal as Dragon Master. TBH, I don't know what would've been the better option here, but Iris not giving up on the dragon and eventually gaining its obedience shows she earned that Dragonite.

ZilverLox

Banned
In the case of Dawn's free Togekiss, it likely happened that way because DP was heading to a conclusion and Dawn needed a strong Pokemon fast for the Festival.

J. D. Guy

Like in terms of Togekiss and Dragonite, why does it bother fans so much? They were the last additions to Iris' and Dawn's teams and it's not like they haven't raised Pokemon prior those guys captures. And to the argument "they didn't even evolve them" Pokemon makes it very clear it's more to being a trainer than evolving them and plus Dragonite was caught towards the ending of BW and Dawn'a Togekiss literally was caught about 15 epaiodes before Sinnoh Leauge Victors and DP in general was ending, so catching a new Pokemon and evolving them without it feeling rushed and forced wasn't really possibly. Anyway discuss

Also, to add to this, with the specific regards of Dragonite's capture, it being captured and raised and evolved from a Dratini would have missed the entire point of the plot-line of Iris capturing the Dragonite in the first place.

Daizy

I call you honey
Some fans would rather see each character work hard for their Pokemon instead of them gaining a new team member for free. It's not that hard to grasp.