• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why does given Pokemon bother people

Leonhart

Imagineer
If that given pokemon two strong then its a bad thing.

I can't think of an instance where this was a big problem. The closest I can think of was when Hikari received Togekiss for free, but even though it was very strong, she still had some difficulty regarding getting in-sync with its battling style. That at least balanced things out.

I can't think of an instance where this was a big problem. The closest I can think of was when Hikari received Togekiss for free, but even though it was very strong, she still had some difficulty regarding getting in-sync with its battling style. That at least balanced things out.

It was used in the final of the grad festaval which Dawn still lost. So yeah, its definatly not OP like some people say.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I find Dawn getting Togekiss worse than Iris getting Dragonite to be honest. I mean at least Iris bonded with Dragonite before she caught it; Togekiss was just given to Dawn for free without Dawn having to work for it.

I find Dawn getting Togekiss worse than Iris getting Dragonite to be honest. I mean at least Iris bonded with Dragonite before she caught it; Togekiss was just given to Dawn for free without Dawn having to work for it.

I know it was a terrible reason for Dawn to get Togekiss. I think the only reason the writters gave her a Togekiss was to advertise HG and SS.

Leonhart

Imagineer

I honestly feel that the writers missed an opportunity to have Hikari raise Togekiss from scratch. They could've made the situation somewhat more realistic if they had given her a Togepy and allowed said Togepy to evolve twice under Hikari's care.

I wish she had kept Ambipom, instead of getting Togekiss.

I didn't like the Dragonite situation that much because they could've at least used him to take a fresher approach to reasons why Pokemon are disobedient. Plus, I didn't really like how he was an unusually aggressive Dragonite either. It went against my long-standing ideas of how Dragonite are sweet and helpful until angered. Plus, it kinda reminded me of Ash's Charizard, and I thought Charizard was just an ungrateful, arrogant jerk until he started obeying.

But getting back to Dragonite, I know not being sweet and innocent by default helps him stand out, but he's still a Dragonite, after all. It would've worked better if we didn't already spend over a decade with the idea of most Dragonite being kind by default.... Plus, I think a Dragonite's face just lends itself better to kind/neutral expressions IMO. The artists did a better job of drawing aggressive Dragonite faces in Johto and the Orange League. But the differences in how they draw the eyes/face make Dragonite's angry faces look uglier now.

My proposed change is that they could've had Dragonite be more of a politely patronizing Pokemon. He's sweet to her, but then disobeys because he thinks he's doing Iris a favor by making the "right" decisions for her and letting her take it easy. When she disapproves, then he just shrugs her off and thinks she's just being a cute, silly little human. Making him obedient would still be hard, because he would have to realize that his "helpfulness" is actually hurting Iris.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I don't have a problem with given pokemon. It just depends on powerful it is. If it is pretty reasonable and not over-the-top, then fine.

Kirby Dragons

I dislike being given the Aerodactyl in Moon, but I didn't mind Dawn's Togekiss too much.

What does really bother me is when a wild Pokémon just wants to join somebody's team and there's no battle. That's like, half of Ash's Pokémon. Every time that happens, it feels like a big slap to the face. The trainers are too often defying the standard rules of the Pokémon world.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I think given Pokémon are okay if there is a specific reason behind it other than “It likes you more than me. I’ll just abandon it by letting you keep it.” Starting Pokémon such as Charmander and Pikachu are necessary because you can’t expect a new trainer just starting off to be able to control something as powerful as a Tyranitar off the bat. And Iris was given Axew to help her learn to bond and understand Dragon Pokémon much better, Brock had Vulpix mainly because its owner wasn’t really much of a battler and she wanted it to get stronger and Brock even said when he returned it that Vulpix never truly belonged to him, Dawn’s Togekiss was a gift of gratitude which is fine by me, and Ash giving away the Beedrill he caught to Casey had a significant meaning behind it and we all know that he probably would have let it rot for all eternity at Prof Oak’s lab where as Casey would most likely use it in her journey. The ones I have trouble with are Dawn just handing over Ambipom to that one trainer and Ash virtually abandoning Primape with that guy. Those are the types I don’t like.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi

I would say the reverse imo. I mean Dawn still have to work with Togekiss to adapt more to her style than her former royal lifestyle from Princess Salvia. And despite being a powerful Pokemon, it wasn't one of her main and most Powerful Pokemon.

Iris's Dragonite was giving more to have a powerhouse to her from an otherwise weak team, despite the writer reasons to make it more obedient to Iris.