1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Why does Harley act weird?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by meowth-in-boots, Feb 18, 2006.

1. I guess what I'm trying to say is that Harley in the Japanese version might be gay but in the U.S version they don't tell you he is.

2. Torchic23

Torchic23 gee that's swell

Well as we all know, Harley hates May and is always trying to butter her and her friends up so he can trick her, yes I think Harley is a weird freak guy but they won't tell us that in the US

3. Brinstar

Brinstar you suffer

Harley is a stereotypical flamboyant girly-man that is commonly seen in anime. I don't think he's specifically labeled as gay in either versions, nor does it really matter. Harley's weird...but he's purposely weird and he does add some flavor and comedy to the Pokemon anime.

4. ChaosMage

ChaosMage Izit cuz I is black?

If you'd prefer a generic Harley, please give me a good idea of how he would look and act... oh, yeah- BORINGLY!!!

5. YoshiAngemon

YoshiAngemon Storm Trainer

He's nothing like Gary Oak! Now THERE'S a rival who we can love. He used to rub it in Ash's face, calling him a loser, and he didn't even bother to tell Ash what his Starter Pokémon was until we saw him unleash it in its final form - Blastoise! And he has his own squad of cheerleaders!

6. MondoTR

MondoTR Dani

Why do members here act wierd? What I'm trying to say is why do people put topics that are obviously related to the anime in this section? :p

*moves*

7. Moonlight.

Moonlight. Well-Known Member

Do I detect a stereotype?

Heh, just saying. First you say Harley acts weird, then you ask if he's gay...

Well, we can't say he's gay unless it actually shows him atracted to guys.

He just...has a typical girly-guy personality I guess.

8. ChaosMage

Yes, surf. You do detect a stereotype.

And no, seconds person also named surf, you certainly cannot call him gay until he shows that he's attracted to guys

And you, third consecutive member named surf, coincidentally having the same personal details and Corphish avatar asthe two previous members sharing your name, I also agree with this third rendering of the same post. Harley is a typical girly-guy.

See. I agree with all of you guys. Keep on truckin'!

9. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Um, the writers don't directly tell us Harley's preferences in either version.

They have alluded us to the fact that he prefers boys being as stereotypical as he is, but he never directly says anything about it in either the Japanese version or the dub.

10. hIrAm

hIrAm Well-Known Member

I agree, Harley is a freak, kinda. Although, he's got good taste in Pokémon, so I won't complain.

11. ChaosMage

Is homosexuality as much a taboo in Japan as it is here? There isn't a single directly homosexual character on any USA children's show- is Japan the same?

12. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Judging by the insane about of gay and lesbian characters in anime, I don't think so.

Literally every shoujo anime in Japan has at least one gay or lesbian character.

Since May's story arc is pretty shoujo-ish, the writers decided to throw in as many cliche's as possible. Pretty boy metrosexual, (Drew), Comic relief gay guy who hates protagonist (Harley), Rich bisexual man with blonde hair (Robert), token fangirl of pretty boy metrosexual (Wakana), bisexual girl who crushes on main girl (Kelly), timid boy (Timmy), mother and daughter (Savannah and Sandra).

etc.

All of May's contest rivals seem like they jumped out of a shoujo anime.

13. ChaosMage

And there I was thinking his token fangirl was Roselia, that filthy little plant.

14. PDL

PDL disenchanted

we haven't seen Roselia do anything aside from just preforming petal dance and magical leaf...

what about all those MILFs in "A Fan with a Plan"? don't they count?

15. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Ah yeah, they're counted with Savannah since she was part of them.

Even worse that the MILF's are crushing over Drew, who is probably no older than Ash. So these married mothers blush and drool over a 14 year old boy?

I mean if there's no age of consent in the Pokemon world that's fine, but to see 25-30 year old mothers crush on a 14 year old kid is really something.

16. Swifty

Swifty Well-Known Member

A part of the plotline owes a lot to the nature of Pokemon Coordinating. I've been watching a lot of Olympic primetime coverage on NBC. Coordinating is a lot like figure skating with concentration on showmanship and techniques.

Just look at Johnny Weir and Yevgeny Plushenko. Do they not scream Harley and Robert to you? Especially Plushenko as Robert. :D

17. Evanji Axu

Evanji Axu Guest

11 out of 10 fangirls conclude that Harley is gay.

18. Jo-Jo

Jo-Jo blows stuff uhup

Anyone with a pair of eyeballs ought to conclude that Harley's gay.

Apparently in Hi Ho Silver Wind he calls May "girlfriend". My, my.

19. Juputoru

Juputoru M-m-m-m-onobear?!

Harley's about as straight as a rainbow. But that's okay, we wouldn't want him any other way. :)

Oh sure, it's never directly shown that he's gay, but these are the Pokemon writers we're talking about. They're as subtle as a sledgehammer when it comes to showing that a Pokemon's meant to be female/a person's a homosexual/someone's in love(...hmm, that could be a reason why I don't believe that main character shippings are canon. The evidence almost always involves the writers being subtle :p)/someone is evil/etc. As much as we all hate stereotypes, that's what they use to get the point across whenever possible. :<

20. Jesse GS the II

Jesse GS the II I was frozen today!

Oddly enough, I never noticed that before (well, it's not that odd, given that I don't particularly watch a lot of shoujo anime, but still, I tend to keep abreast of all the outside references on the show).