• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why does Harley act weird?

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
ChaosMage said:
Is homosexuality as much a taboo in Japan as it is here? There isn't a single directly homosexual character on any USA children's show- is Japan the same?
There's a huge history of anime (even anime aimed at children) that implies homosexuality.

Check Sailor Moon and Cardcaptor Sakura and see if you get my drift. :]

Last edited:
Juputoru said:
Harley's about as straight as a rainbow. But that's okay, we wouldn't want him any other way. :)

Oh sure, it's never directly shown that he's gay, but these are the Pokemon writers we're talking about. They're as subtle as a sledgehammer when it comes to showing that a Pokemon's meant to be female/a person's a homosexual/someone's in love(...hmm, that could be a reason why I don't believe that main character shippings are canon. The evidence almost always involves the writers being subtle :p)/someone is evil/etc. As much as we all hate stereotypes, that's what they use to get the point across whenever possible. :<

No kidding...>_> But, thats what we all love about Harley...and I swear when he met Shuu in today's episode...*cough*

Raevell

Ah, another person questioning if Harley is gay? XD

We don't have any idea for sure as the term homosexual refers to someone who is attracted to people of the same sex. We haven't seen anything from Harley, his interest in romance is about the same as Ash. (though he's not as dense about it) He's just extremely feminine which in society typically points to said person being gay whether they are or not. Ah, the joy of stereotyping...

Being gay in Japan is not an issue like it is in America. It's my understanding that most feel if it's between two adults behind closed doors it's nobodies business.

I'm actually surprised though that Harley is as feminine in the American version as he is in the Japanese version. Still, do the writers sit down and discuss a characters sexuality? Do they bother to give them a label? I wonder.

CyberCubed, that is quite an interesting theory. You're completely right. I guess Pokemon is trying to appeal more to girls, hmm?

Raevell said:
I'm actually surprised though that Harley is as feminine in the American version as he is in the Japanese version. Still, do the writers sit down and discuss a characters sexuality? Do they bother to give them a label? I wonder.

I was wondering this same thing too..Why did they do that? of all the dubbing companys..I though 4kids would edit that out.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Homosexuality seems to be the one thing they don't have a problem with. And they'd be hypocrates if they did, given that one of their top VAs is a transsexual activist.

halloweenghost

Blackjack Gabbiani said:
Homosexuality seems to be the one thing they don't have a problem with. And they'd be hypocrates if they did, given that one of their top VAs is a transsexual activist.

Thats probably why...or they do not want to offend any other homosexuals out there and just left Harley the same. He could be a metrosexual for all we know..

Dogasu

Frustrated Elf
You can find just as many homophobes in Japan as you do in the U.S. The difference is that the Japanese media isn't as uptight about showing homosexuals in children's shows as the American media is.

But times are changing, and we're starting to see more homosexuals in the media than we ever have before.

Impervious said:
But the do show him attracted to a man. May's dad.

Idolizing someone isn't the same thing as being sexually attracted to him.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
Imagine in the Kanto Grand Festival there's an episode called "Harley's Confession! Homosexual?" and 4Kids have to kiddify it...

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
ChaosMage said:
Imagine in the Kanto Grand Festival there's an episode called "Harley's Confession! Homosexual?" and 4Kids have to kiddify it...

Well, I've always said that Shogakukan should make one episode that's just a big "try and translate this, you jerks!" to 4Kids. That'd be one interesting route to take, I'm sure.

Chris

Old Coot
Jo-Jo said:
Anyone with a pair of eyeballs ought to conclude that Harley's gay.

Apparently in Hi Ho Silver Wind he calls May "girlfriend". My, my.
You FAIL HARD for quoting the DUB. --; These are the same people that turned Bashou into a woman. Who the hell calls anyone "girlfriend" anymore when using it as a generic term, anyways?

Folks, Harley is not gay. You idiots base everything off of stereotypes. Harley's simply a girlish-looking man who acts effeminate. Doesn't mean he's gay. e_e

He's nothing like Gary Oak! Now THERE'S a rival who we can love. He used to rub it in Ash's face, calling him a loser, and he didn't even bother to tell Ash what his Starter Pokémon was until we saw him unleash it in its final form - Blastoise! And he has his own squad of cheerleaders!
Shigeru did HARDLY anything rival-like. We hardly ever saw him, and when he did, he just bragged about being better. Now Masamune was a BETTER rival. We actually saw him and Satoshi compete in nearly everything. They refused to let one or the other outdo themselves.

Obviously you forgot he also ditched his cheerleaders in the begining of Jouto.

If you'd prefer a generic Harley, please give me a good idea of how he would look and act... oh, yeah- BORINGLY!!!
His name is Shuu. He acts exactly like Shigeru, only he has an issue with looking good as well as making his Pokémon look good. This is the definition of a boring, cliché rival.

As pointed out, at least Harley spiced it up abit to make it different. To the point where he carries a book with pictures of everyone he wants revenge on.

Then again, I'm talking to the same crowd of people who think girls and guys who are close friends automatically are in "love" with eachother, or that Satoshi "gives away" his Pokémon, and also thinks any guy who doesn't act masculine is automatically gay. I guess my argument's going to go ignored or frowned upon by said idiots. :(

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Edward Elric said:

Folks, Harley is not gay. You idiots base everything off of stereotypes. Harley's simply a girlish-looking man who acts effeminate. Doesn't mean he's gay. e_e
Of course people are basing everything on stereotypes. This series is known for it's blatant stereotyping of characters to get its point across and has thrived on that for the past 10 years. Now, I've never been one to pair up characters and jump to conclusions on their sexuality based upon a few minor actions in various scenes, but its like the scriptwriters are going out of their way to say "Hey look! Stereotypical flaming homosexual on the port bow!" in this particular instance.

Heracross

Custom User Title
I've gotta disagree about Harley, Ed. D: In cartoons like Pocket Monsters there isn't much else to go by. They have to have to rely on stereotypes to define characters in a way everyone will understand.

Edit: damn you Gravy. ;;

Haruka's Swimsuit

Bomberhead 18-kin!
CyberCubed said:
Judging by the insane about of gay and lesbian characters in anime, I don't think so.

Literally every shoujo anime in Japan has at least one gay or lesbian character.

Since May's story arc is pretty shoujo-ish, the writers decided to throw in as many cliche's as possible. Pretty boy metrosexual, (Drew),

Actually, Shuu seems more like the quiet, standoff-ish rival type usually seen in sentai groupings.

Edward Elric said:

Good point. I forget, is okama a stereotype for characters that are gay or just for effeminate mannerisms?

Last edited: