• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why does Harley act weird?

Edward Elric said:
Hello. We're talking about an animated human character. Not an animal. Stay focused, here. We can walk and act like animals, yet that doesn't make us animals. ;\

YOUR LOGIC IS FAULTY!

NEXT!

Ok...You have to know thats an expression (maybe not the exact expression but it's the gist of one) I'm saying that all evidence points to it that he is, except they didn't show behind the scenes where he makes out with Shuu. =D

I take it thats the only type of thing that will convince you.

Oh well..I guess we all have our opinion, we can't all agree on everything.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
So apparently the writers having Harley do stuff like this doesn't suggest anything?

[img139]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/coordinators1/Modamo%20Harley/6harley03.jpg[/img139]

[img139]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/coordinators1/Modamo%20Harley/6harley08.jpg[/img139]

[img139]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/coordinators1/Modamo%20Harley/6harley228.jpg[/img139]

Uhuh. Credit to taitofan.

Do they honestly have to show him crushing on another guy to prove his sexual orientation? I mean, it can be argued that he already showed attraction for both Norman (when James was dressed as him), and Drew (flirty!)

It's like saying that a character can't be straight unless they show an obvious attraction in the opposite gender.

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
Edward Elric said:
You FAIL HARD for quoting the DUB. --;
:rolleyes: EW! Not the icky DUB!

For your information, I mentioned the "girlfriend" line because I found it amusing. It wasn't intended as an argument to back up the first part of my post, since I don't need an argument to back up the statement that Harley's gay. It's so MIND-BOGGLINGLY obvious that he is that anybody who can't figure it out for themselves from watching him - in either version, since it's equally clear in both - is clearly a lost cause, and wouldn't be convinced no matter what I said.

Folks, Harley is not gay. You idiots base everything off of stereotypes. Harley's simply a girlish-looking man who acts effeminate. Doesn't mean he's gay. e_e
'Believes Harley's gay' = idiot.

Whereas, 'insults several dozen people, under no provocation, over a cartoon character's sexuality' = not an idiot.

OK!

Shigeru did HARDLY anything rival-like. We hardly ever saw him, and when he did, he just bragged about being better.
Right, that's not rival-like in the slightest. Because rivals never employ trash-talk or claim that they're better than each other. That's simply unthinkable!

Now Masamune was a BETTER rival. We actually saw him and Satoshi compete in nearly everything. They refused to let one or the other outdo themselves.
Ah, so 'employs blanket statements to assert personal opinion as the only valid and true viewpoint' also = not an idiot. Gotcha!

His name is Shuu. He acts exactly like Shigeru, only he has an issue with looking good as well as making his Pokémon look good. This is the definition of a boring, cliché rival.
That's funny, I seem to recall you telling me a few weeks ago that character bashing was discouraged on SPPF. Let me guess - it's only not OK to bash characters that you like. If you dislike them, then what the hey, say whatever the hell you like about them!

For the record, Drew gets uncomfortable around crowds of gushing fans, is more solitary and aloof than Gary, has poorer people skills, has a better handle on his ego, withdraws and closes down when upset as opposed to getting into childish strops, is more manipulative, has a romantic streak, is MUCH more of a flirt, and is apparently obsessed with his own hair. He is also a love interest as well as a rival, which Gary was not. *waits for Palletshippers to arrive ;)*

As pointed out, at least Harley spiced it up abit to make it different. To the point where he carries a book with pictures of everyone he wants revenge on.
Wrong again, I'm afraid. Harley's scrapbook isn't a hit list. He keeps photos of co-ordinators, but there's no evidence that he wants revenge on them all. If that were the case, there would have been no need for him to mark out May's picture by drawing a skull and crossbones over it. He takes Drew's photo in the Grand Festival, and he doesn't seem to have a particular grudge against him (or at least, he didn't at the time he took the picture).

Then again, I'm talking to the same crowd of people who think girls and guys who are close friends automatically are in "love" with eachother, or that Satoshi "gives away" his Pokémon, and also thinks any guy who doesn't act masculine is automatically gay. I guess my argument's going to go ignored or frowned upon by said idiots. :(
Oh, diddums. Such a tragic figure you make, put upon this forum to suffer daily at the hands of brainless peons such as us. How we must annoy you, constantly going around posting our opinions about stuff with no consideration for the feelings of poor, long-suffering you. Tell you what - how about next time any of us has an emotional response to the show, we'll get in contact with you first and check that we're interpreting things the right way, before we go around spreading our uninformed piffle all over the messageboard?

Last edited:

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
The latest Harley episode doesn't count because the animators had an extra squig of Jesus Juice. Even for Harley it was extra campy.

Satoshi

リーリエの為に戦ってるトレーナー
Just because he acts wierd and uh...feminine doesn't mean he's gay. He's will only be proven to be gay if he's shown being sexually attracted to a guy. Hence the meaning of the word.

gay
adj. gay·er, gay·est
Of, relating to, or having a sexual orientation to persons of the same sex.

Of course Harley's guy. Because acting out of the ordinary for your gender certainly means you're hot for guys. :rolleyes: Its like saying someone's gay for wearing a pink shirt. STEREOTYPING (I wish it wasn't actually aimed at anyone...but.... ;P).

I'm not saying he's not gay, but it shows nowhere in the anime of him being homosexual.
CyberCubed said:
It's like saying that a character can't be straight unless they show an obvious attraction in the opposite gender.
That's because the character isn't possibly being protrayed as being gay. Most writers for anime, if they want to protray him/her as gay/lesbian, make it apparent at least somewhere in the early parts of the story.

taitofan

Stalker!
Oh for the love of... Okay, busting out the atashi talk.

J-List blog explaining Japanese pronouns said:
The "girl's" word for I is "atashi," and a homosexual speaking in an effeminate manner would use this word for himself.
Sound familiar?

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
Can anyone come up with a single fictional anime male who refers to himself with "atashi" and isn't gay? Bet there aren't any. And even if there are, I bet they're overwhelmingly outnumbered by the gay atashi-referers.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
And besides that, the belly button shirt is highly convincing. I don't know of too many guys that like to show off their belly buttons in public. Brody shares the same fashion sense, but 4kids made him campy too.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
articuno_trumps_all said:
Atashi proves it all. End of story.

I haven't seen too many male characters use "atashi", personally, but as Ed said earlier, girls that act like tomboys aren't instantly lesbians, and the same applies to girls that I've seen using masculine forms of first-person. Bleach's Kuukaku uses "ore", and she doesn't seem to come off as a lesbian. And .hack's Mia uses "boku", yet people would be more liable to pair her off with Elk than any other character. So I don't see why a male using "atashi" instantly signifies he's gay.

Last edited:

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
I repeat: can anyone come up with a non-gay male character who uses "atashi" when referring to himself?

taitofan

Stalker!
Same J-List article on pronouns said:
The basic word for I is "watashi" but not used all that much. Words that boys usually use are "boku" (a soft word, usually polite) or "ore" (a rougher word, which can be rude depending on the setting you use it in). A girl who is somewhat tomboyish might use the former, or if she's really tough, she might even use the latter; similarly, a young boy (like my son) might show how grown-up he is by using "ore."
It makes no reference to lesbians, unlike with atashi. Double standard? Perhaps. Ask the people who made the language though.

Jo-Jo said:
I repeat: can anyone come up with a non-gay male character who uses "atashi" when referring to himself?
I'm assuming that men disguised as women don't count. In that case, no.

Chris

Old Coot
Jo-Jo said:
Right, that's not rival-like in the slightest. Because rivals never, ever employ trash-talk or claim that they're better than each other. That's simply unthinkable!
Let's look up rival.

"One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor."

Shigeru did NOTHING of the sort but brag. We only see him and Satoshi compete against one another twice. To try to surpass the other. As a rival, Shigeru made a pretty lousy one since the writers rarely showed him.

Jo-Jo said:
Ah, so 'employs blanket statements to assert personal opinion as the only valid and true viewpoint' also = not an idiot. Gotcha!
Obviously you never saw the episodes involving the two actually competing through nearly an entire episode to outdo eachother. Please read the definition of rival before you start making claims that my statements are not valid and based merely on opinion.

Jo-Jo said:
That's funny, I seem to recall you telling me a few weeks ago that character bashing was discouraged on SPPF. Let me guess - it's only not OK to bash characters that you like. If you dislike them, then what the hey, say whatever the hell you like about them!
You read too much into things. Bashing involves insulting with no justified reasoning and usually involves nonsensical explanations such as "lolz he sux cuz hes not cool!!" And if you learned how to read I said "This is the definition of a boring, cliché rival." This means the type of character is boring. Not the character themself. Although this itself is not bashing since I gave a legit reasoning behind it.

Seems all you're trying to do is make yourself look smart by trying to one-up my statements.

Jo-Jo said:
For the record, Drew gets uncomfortable around crowds of gushing fans, is more solitary and aloof than Gary, has poorer people skills, has a better handle on his ego, withdraws and closes down when upset as opposed to getting into childish strops, is more manipulative, has a romantic streak, is MUCH more of a flirt, and is apparently obsessed with his own hair. He is also a love interest as well as a rival, which Gary was not. *waits for Palletshippers to arrive ;)*
True, they do act differently in a few ways. Shigeru's the egotist and Shuu has a slight ego problem but plays the role of lone wolf. Either way, it's still cliché and not very interesting.

Jo-Jo said:
Oh, diddums. Such a tragic figure you make, put upon this forum to suffer daily at the hands of brainless peons such as us. How we must annoy you, constantly going around posting our opinions about stuff with no consideration for the feelings of poor, long-suffering you. Tell you what - how about next time any of us has an emotional response to the show, we'll get in contact with you first and check that we're interpreting things the right way, before we go around spreading our uninformed piffle all over the messageboard? Wouldn't that be swell!
How about going through EVERYTHING in this forum? Look at all the mindless dribble said here. Not all of it is bad. Some thought is put into a lot of things. But a majority of statements made in this forum are mind-boggling.

Such as the topic at hand. Apparently you people believe that when one moves and speaks feminine-like, they just HAVE to be gay. All because of stereotype info.

Jo-Jo said:
Because we all know it's perfectly fine to ignore what Yamato-san said because girl speech with males =/= male speech with girls. Again, this is proof that you're all going by stereotype views.

Kuukaku from Bleach says "ore" despite being male. "Ore" is masculine, and something girls rarely say. To quote a Japanese guide:

"Ore is even more overtly masculine, and implies either that a man is speaking among intimates (at the least that there are no women present) or that he is aggressively macho."

In otherwords, she (Kuukaku) speaks in a butch-like quality. However, this doesn't mean she's into females just because she speaks like a guy.

Let us not forget that "atashi" is not just something women generally use, but it's slightly less formal than "watashi" but not bordering onto being rude like "ore."

The fact that you folks are writing off females using male speech while claiming males using female speech means they're gay shows a rather stereotypical and close-minded view. Sexism, anyone? ;\

Btw, no Japanese language guides I'm seeing mention ANYTHING about only girls and gay men using "atashi." They only mention them being something women use in a polite manner. Nothing more.

Last edited:

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
EE, it's a double-edged sword. Prove he's straight.

mannyguy

Cascade Trainer
who cares if he's gay or not he adds something new to the anime which i think is kinda kool

and by the way....no to steriotype...but if someone acts as feminie as harley in real life then most likely they are gay..i mean harley's obviously meant to be blamoyant and even straight seeming gays have some femine to them if you really get to know them..long story short harley is probably gay..but who cares he's funny and he adds a weird but nice flavor to the show

Jo-Jo

blows stuff uhup
Edward Elric said:
Let's look up rival.

"One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor."
'or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor'.

Gary and Ash had the same goal in the series: to be Pokemon Masters. They also had the same short-terms goals: to win the Indigo League, and later, the Silver Conference. That makes them rivals. Characters in the show talked about them being rivals. Ash thought of Gary as a rival. Guides written for the show refer to Gary as "Ash's rival".

In Kanto and some of Johto, Gary had no interest in defeating Ash because in his mind, his superiority was already apparent. Towards the end of Johto, he began to recognise Ash as a worthy rival. Ash had to work hard over a long period of time to earn Gary's respect (this is one big way in which May and Drew differ). This doesn't make Gary an inferior rival to Masamune; it means that his relationship to Ash was different to Masamune's relationship to Ash. Nothing else.

I don't know what you're trying to prove. If you only consider a rival character acceptable once he meets a quota of scenes pitting him in competition with Ash, that's your opinion and not one any of the rest of us should have to stick to. I liked that Gary was completely unlikable to begin with and then got his ego crushed and then matured into a decent person. It was an interesting character arc. It is totally untrue to say that he did nothing but brag. I think it hilarious that you accuse us of stereotyping, and then go and flatten characters you don't like into a single stock characteristic that tells us nothing about what they were actually like. Your insistance that Gary was a lousy rival because he and Ash only battled twice only demonstrates that you've missed the point.

Now, what on EARTH does this discussion have to do with the topic?

Please read the definition of rival before you start making claims that my statements are not valid and based merely on opinion.
Your statements are not facts and therefore shouldn't be stated as statements in the first place. Please read the definition of fact and opinion before you start ordering me to look words up.

You read too much into things.
Yes, silly me. Clearly I was reading too much into things when I presumed "SPPF does not encourage character bashing" meant that "SPPF does not encourage character bashing".

Bashing involves insulting with no justified reasoning and usually involves nonsensical explanations such as "lolz he sux cuz hes not cool!!"
Right, because stating "His name is Shuu. He acts exactly like Shigeru, only he has an issue with looking good as well as making his Pokémon look good. This is the definition of a boring, cliché rival" is the epitome of justified reasoning. Hence the many explanations and canon citations you provided to show why Drew acts "exactly" like Gary, where in the show he is demonstrated as being vain, and how this makes him "the definition of a boring, cliché rival".

And if you learned how to read I said "This is the definition of a boring, cliché rival." This means the type of character is boring. Not the character themself.
*looks up dictionary definition of boring, cliché rival* *is puzzled to see that Drew's picture is not featured*

It would seem, then, that I actually didn't read enough into things earlier. I shouldn't have taken your remark about Drew being boring and cliché at face-value, but rather ought to have examined the subtext and realised that you were only talking about the type of character he is. Which, errrrrr, is totally different from calling the character himself boring and cliché. I'm sure. Somehow.

Although this itself is not bashing since I gave a legit reasoning behind it.
Which was...?

Seems all you're trying to do is make yourself look smart by trying to one-up my statements.
What can I say, I have this irrational desire to try to show up people who think they have the right to lay down the law and tell everyone else how to interpret a TV show. Especially when they seem determined to ignore crystal-clear authorial intent.

True, they do act differently in a few ways. Shigeru's the egotist and Shuu has a slight ego problem but plays the role of lone wolf. Either way, it's still cliché and not very interesting.
You're doing it again. Three little letters: IMO. They'll serve you in good stead.

How about going through EVERYTHING in this forum? Look at all the mindless dribble said here. Not all of it is bad. Some thought is put into a lot of things. But a majority of statements made in this forum are mind-boggling.
Yeah, I find statements like "Anyone who thinks Harley's gay is an idiot" fairly mind-boggling.

Such as the topic at hand. Apparently you people believe that when one moves and speaks feminine-like, they just HAVE to be gay. All because of stereotype info.
Uhh, yeah. You know what show we're talking about, right?

Because we all know it's perfectly fine to ignore what Yamato-san said because girl speech with males =/= male speech with girls. Again, this is proof that you're all going by stereotype views.
And I suppose it's also perfectly fine of you to ignore completely the facts taitofan posted about 'atashi', as well as her explanation on how the language works differently for men using female pronouns than for girls using male pronouns. As she already pointed out, it's not our fault that the double-standard exists. We didn't invent Japanese. It is a fact that tomboyish girls can use male pronouns without it necessarily reflecting on their sexualities, whereas 'atashi' is solely used by women and gay men. Find me an example of a non-gay male character in fiction who uses atashi, and then you might have an argument. Though you'll still be massively outnumbered by the army of flamboyant atashi-using gay male characters.

The fact that you folks are writing off females using male speech while claiming males using female speech means they're gay shows a rather stereotypical and close-minded view. Sexism, anyone? ;\
*SNORT* In case you didn't know, I'm a girl. And as I just said, I didn't invent Japanese. Start a campaign to introduce 'atashi' into the non-gay male population if it means that much to you, but don't cry sexism to any of us for reporting the facts.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Frak it all. My head's spinning with all these first person pronouns. And are you all sure this works the way you think it does? Frankly, I'm in the dark about this. However, one thing I've learned about the world is there is no such thing as absolutes.

I'll bring a real life example. On Air America Mornings there's a man named Kent Jones who does the news. He sounds as campy as Harley but it's just an act, he has said on radio he is . Granted he speaks English so he used "I".

Last edited:

Raevell

Woah! This thread just lit on fire! XD;;

I would say that Harley is gay simply because of the stereotypes. Since we are talking about a made up character, it would be silly to give him stereotypical "gay" actions if you were not attempting to portray him as such. Unless you made it a running joke about him acting that way but then confusing everyone by hitting on girls, or were trying to get a message across that stereotypes are wrong.

This has no baring in real life. I know there are feminine guys who are not gay as well as very masculine guys that are.

But it would appear to me that they are playing Harley to the extreme stereotype.

Personally, I think societies ideas are insanely stupid, always labeling and putting people into boxes. As CC put, although I know it was a bit in jest, it angers me how guys get picked on or are accused of being a certain way simply because of what they wear. Likewise, I get sick of the weird looks I get when they find out I'm an anime fangirl and a video game geek.

*end of rant*