• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why does it take so long!??

andy63

Hey all! I thought about this today and i was thinking, why does it take so long time to make a new pokemon game? Except its for a new consoll from Gameboy Advance to Nintendo DS i can understand. But when it takes like 2-3 years to make a game for the same consol i dont understand.

a time ago i was making hacks with Pokemon Fire Red and it was super easy. You already had the sprites for trees, house, groudn etc etc. And Game Freak recycle all this in their games anyway.
So.............the only thing that takes long time have to be the scripting? I know becuse i tried scripting but it was haaaaaard. But those are proffesionals.

Anyway, anyone have any suggestions to discuss? Maybe its the producing of the game in large amounts???

Greets// Ghoztmazta1

jellsprout

Try making a full game from scratch. You'll understand.

Why would they want to release games so close to each other? They get way more money by spreading them out. Its the same with every popular series. You dont see Zelda releasing more Phantom Hourglass -esque games every year.

Take a look at rockband/guitar hero. They released the latest version too soon and theres approximately 584095849 billion boxes of them all over every store. When Circuit City was going out of business that was pretty much the only thing left in the two I happened to go in. I wouldnt be surprised if they ended up paying people to take them away.

InfamousMrJ

Serebii'sGhostbuster
Rather than spewing out the exact same thing over and over again, by taking time to make changes, they can at least attempt to make things better and more interesting. With the way you seem to want things, the lack of thought put into the games would be so overwhelming, sales would cease, and that would be all she wrote.
Patience is a virtue, you know.

hatshepsut

Even though they do reuse a lot of things, it still takes a lot of time...programming can be tedious. However, the main reason they make us wait so long is to do marketing...I mean, if they just spit out games every couple of months we'd get bored pretty quickly. Making us wait is beneficial for them.

dontlickmynose

MANBAG FTW!!!
if youve ever made your own little game you would know how long it takes to make it let alone a game full of many complex features

chrombot

The Steel Hearted
Timing is a pretty big factor. Look the new Star Trek. That movie was going to be released in December 2008. Now, it came out in May of this year. It's not just more time to finish it and tweak it, but it's a better time to release it.
Suppose they released a new pokemon game every year with 100 new Pokemon ever since 1999. We'd have 1151 pokemon, along with 11 different games, probably 22 considering the nature of pokemon.

mangaeyes

First they let any previous games have there 15 minutes of fame so that they don't make loads of games at once and run out of ideas. They then need to think of new places, new pokemon, new names, new characters. Then they need to make the storyline and make sure everything fits into the game and all that technical stuff. Then they need to search and search and search for bugs and glitches etc. Then they need to wait for it to be given an age rating or something just to make sure it doesn't offend people. Then it needs to be done in loads of different languages. Then millions of copies are made and put into the boxes with the manuals etc. Then they are shipped out and sold.

Its not exactly an overnight, tacky hack.

Zerokku

Nonstop Breeder
For one thing, Handheld games tend to have longer "legs". What that means is that handheld games tend to sell well over time, rather then the quick bursts that are so common in the console industry.

Not to mention that, but there's a point where you can just flood the market too easily and people get sick of it*cough* activision, guitar hero *cough**cough*

nintendude 64

Dropped my balls!
If they came out with new games too quickly,they would run out of ideas. Even their imaginations are limited. Plus,the story,the gameplay,and overall quality would go way down from not having enough time to think of good ideas for the game. Quality over quantity.

DarkestWish7706

Trainer of Trainers
A lot of reasons:
They're making a game from SCRATCH. They re-sprite the objects, you know. They have to enhance the graphics, so they can't just copy it.
They have to think of the entire plot. You can't just make it up as you go.
Think of all the hidden things, pokemon, scripting...
Even if they could make it come out sooner, why would you want a completely new game within a year? A lot of cheats and hidden things are still being discovered in the game.
You can't just pull a game outta the sky and slap a copyright on it. You have to COMPLETELY make it. Not as easy as you think. Go ask a dev.

Count Drosselmeyer

You never saw me.
A lot of reasons:
They're making a game from SCRATCH. They re-sprite the objects, you know. They have to enhance the graphics, so they can't just copy it.
They have to think of the entire plot. You can't just make it up as you go.
Think of all the hidden things, pokemon, scripting...
Even if they could make it come out sooner, why would you want a completely new game within a year? A lot of cheats and hidden things are still being discovered in the game.
You can't just pull a game outta the sky and slap a copyright on it. You have to COMPLETELY make it. Not as easy as you think. Go ask a dev.

I think most people here are missing the topic creator's point. He's wondering why Pokemon games on the same console, using the same recycled graphics, take so long to come out. He's probably thinking specifically of Platinum: It's basically D/P with an extended story, a few extra Pokemon thrown in, and the Battle Frontier. And it took two years to make.

Diamond and Pearl came out two years after Emerald. That means it took the devs two years to make a Pokemon game from scratch for a brand new console with brand new capabilities.

It took them the same amount of time to release the exact same game with a few new features tossed in.

This, I believe, is because of marketing, but I just thought I'd clear up the TC's question.

BCVM22

And it took two years to make.

Says who? Don't confuse when it was released with how long it might have taken to develop. Chances are, as soon as Diamond and Pearl went gold, Game Freak went right back to the game engine and started tweaking it into Platinum. They probably could have released it within a year of D/P's release, but that wouldn't have made any business sense.

Aeron

Bum Eyes
Obviously it's to make money. Take the Grand Theft Auto francise for example, they didn't release;
GTA, GTAII, GTAL, GTAL'69, GTAIII, GTA VC, GTA SA, GTA Adv, GTALCS, GTAVCS, GTAIV, GTAL&D all on the same day or they wouldn't have made half the amount.
Sometimes it's all about using common sense.

Mr. Joker

keep calm & carry on
Maybe to give us time to play the game. It wouldnt be cool to let us beat one gym and another game comes out.

dagon22

Charmander master!
It makes sense about releasing them too close together.

If they are to close, then everyone would be to busy playing the other game.

I think I heard that translating takes a long amount of time.

ThePokéman09

If they release it early, it could be filled with bugs, that's why. Microsoft holds the answers to your question! You know how they fired several Operating Systems in quick succession from 98, 2k, ME, XP?

But I disagree with the "starting from scratch" thing. They've got the outline from the get-go. Pokémon has the same forumula, if you haven't noticed.
1)Start the game.
2)Choose your name and avatar
3)Pick a starter at Professor's lab
4)Your rival
5)Rattata, pidgey, spearow, etc have counterparts in every region
6)151 new Pokémon per region (I think), not including Plat?
7)Train and beat rivals, gyms, elite 4, champ, beat a bunch of bad-guys.
8)So on and so forth

Pokémon isn't actually a very hard game, if you ask me. They separate releases so everything goes with their consoles' release and so they can profit from their old games before making a new one.