• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Why Does This Game Receive So Much Hate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCVM22

PBR is the most limited with Pokemon, and there's nothing to do other than battle.

Except that's all it was ever intended as. Some of you people could buy a racing game and complain there's nothing to do but race.

Considering you pretty much needed a gen 4 game to fully "enjoy" this game, it wasn't even worth the launch price.

And anyone who says you didn't need a Generation I/II game to "fully enjoy" Stadium/Stadium 2 is kidding themselves. Unless you wish to commit the indignity that would be claiming that the minigames and using the rental Pokémon provides in the latter titles would somehow have been worth the price of admission on their own.

Again - that you need a stocked handheld game to fully enjoy PBR is not a negative nor is it something that was ever hidden or masked, no matter how much people still like to complain this is the case, seven years later.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Except that's all it was ever intended as. Some of you people could buy a racing game and complain there's nothing to do but race.
Just because it wasn't an intention doesn't mean it can't be bad.

And anyone who says you didn't need a Generation I/II game to "fully enjoy" Stadium/Stadium 2 is kidding themselves. Unless you wish to commit the indignity that would be claiming that the minigames and using the rental Pokémon provides in the latter titles would somehow have been worth the price of admission on their own.
You can't argue as to what people enjoy. You've seen enough praise of the first two games, even by people without and Gen I/II to validate them fullying enjoying the game. Getting the full experience and fully enjoying the game are two different things.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
I really don't understand why people dislike this game either. I had loads of fun playing this.

I can understand why people wanted a story, but the fact it that it was never marketed as a story! They straight up told us that this was going to be a battle simulator of sorts. You can't compare this game to Colosseum because it was never meant to be that in the first place. Your hopes may have gone down because it didn't have a story, but that is irrelevant because you are making it something its not, when it was clearly marketed the correct way. Everyone just kinda twisted it. Its turning into the same thing that happened to Starfox Adventures. If you look at the game, as itself it's not bad and does the job it's supposed to do, battle simulation, and I had fun with it. I liked the online even though people only used ubers. It allowed me to battle my friends when I changed connection to a secured network and couldn't get online anymore. I had a blast using my Pokemon. It wasn't the best things ever, but it was fun.

The minigames in 1/2 were just that, minigames. They would only hold your attention for so long away from the fact that the rental Pokemon sucked balls. At least this gave another, imo easier form of connection.

BCVM22

Just because it wasn't an intention doesn't mean it can't be bad.

Flawed logic. You're still judging the game unfairly on the basis of material that was never part of the plan.

You can't argue as to what people enjoy. You've seen enough praise of the first two games, even by people without and Gen I/II to validate them fullying enjoying the game. Getting the full experience and fully enjoying the game are two different things.

I can sure as hell argue how baseless some of the criticisms of PBR are, much less on the tissue-thin basis that it didn't contain some pointless frivolities that people like to think enhanced a previous experience far more than they actually did.

ThorMX

I don't really think the game is bad at all, it had great music and fun animations. Battle modes made the game interesting :) I hope they make one for Gen 6!

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3
Wow, interesting stuff guys, although I have to say that I agree with Dragoniss, BCVM22, and ThorMX. Sorry JB, but I just can't agree with your opinions on the game, and I have to say that BCVM22 DID make some good points against your arguments. Now, I don't want to start a fight or anything, since I just wanted to say that. ;) And I totally agree with you ThorMX! That would be awesome! Now, only if I had a 3DS... maybe for Christmas... maybe. >.<

TheGreaterLucario

Really the only thing I didn't like about this game was the announcer. I DEFINITELY prefer the Stadium announcer to the one from Battle Revolution. Other than that, I didn't really mind it. It was basically a Stadium 3, except with a crappy announcer.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
You're still judging the game unfairly on the basis of material that was never part of the plan.
I'm judging the game based on the quality presented of the previous games that served the same purpose.

It's like if Nintendo released another side-scrolling Mario but took out the mushrooms. People will complain about because it used to be standard.

I can sure as hell argue how baseless some of the criticisms of PBR are, much less on the tissue-thin basis that it didn't contain some pointless frivolities that people like to think enhanced a previous experience far more than they actually did.
Your arguments wouldn't be right. Especially if you try to tell people that they really didn't enjoy the features of the previously released games as much as they thought they did.

BCVM22

It's like if Nintendo released another side-scrolling Mario but took out the mushrooms. People will complain about because it used to be standard.

"Mushrooms", if we're really having this discussion, are a core element of the gameplay of a core Mario title. Minigames and a forgettable story mode are not core elements of a series of video games that have always existed for the purpose of letting you battle your Pokémon as 3D models on your television as opposed to sprites on a tiny handheld screen.

Especially if you try to tell people that they really didn't enjoy the features of the previously released games as much as they thought they did.

I didn't say anything about enjoyment. I said, verbatim, that they didn't enhance the previous games anywhere near as much as people like to claim. Which they didn't - saying the minigames were the best part of Pokémon Stadium is like visiting a city full of world-class restaurants and then eating at McDonald's the entire time. It's missing the point entirely.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
points to rental battles

Giving yourself a restriction of not being unable to use your own party is a bit odd at first but it can become quite enjoyable. I remember as a kid being unable to beat the Pika Cup on Pokemon Stadium, my friend was able to breeze through it using rental Pokemon. The difference was the fact that "strategy" wasn't very prominent in the first two generations and considering how it really started to kick in back then, there was little to no point to the rental Pokemon and as previously mentioned; you're buying these games to see your team in 3D.

The mini-games were fluff but it was more the convenience of being able to take a break (sort of) without changing cartridges. It might be fluff but those are some brownie points going down the drain. Colosseum and XD did have story modes which were the main part of the games and allowed you to capture your own team there and take on challenges using them whether be part of the story or campaign.

Battle Revolution is just more of the same, more battles similar to the style of the previous 3D entries; rental battles, level 30 and up battles, set level 50 battles, baby battles, and a 100 battle challenge. The only problem is that the later 4 would have to be unlocked after completing the main campaign which is people's main gripe.

No less, you're still getting the exact same bang for your buck and there's little point in buying this game unless you have a portable game due to how brutal it can get later on. I won't lie though, the Masters Battles did provide some interesting ideas for strategy. As for the online, battle styles were limited probably due to the slow flashiness and the Wii's online was horrid in general.

Cobalt2

Some Random Guy...
I also enjoyed this game, mostly due to the visual appeal of it. It almost felt like a small extension of the game, using your team a little longer after beating D/P just for some fun. It never stood well as a stand-alone game but it did have a nice feel to it and I appreciated it...

I do understand why this game got so much hate especially from a competitive standpoint. It would also definitely feel lackluster if you were expecting it to be like Colosseum.

I will admit that I haven't played this game in a while, but from what I can recall there was no options to properly rent Pokemon like in Stadium 1 and 2 (please do correct me if I'm wrong). I would have liked if there was a way to do this, as I found renting Pokemon one of the best things about Stadium 1 and 2. I would also have liked the game a lot more if there were a few other game modes, eg. minigames or something a bit more laid back than constant battling.

Cassafrass1999

A new beginning! <3
I also enjoyed this game, mostly due to the visual appeal of it. It almost felt like a small extension of the game, using your team a little longer after beating D/P just for some fun. It never stood well as a stand-alone game but it did have a nice feel to it and I appreciated it...

I do understand why this game got so much hate especially from a competitive standpoint. It would also definitely feel lackluster if you were expecting it to be like Colosseum.

I agree with all of this, although I have to admit that I have never played Colosseum. ;)

Yeah it's disappointing that you need to buy another Pokémon game to actually play the full thing, but other than that it's great!

Chapter

hello, im back sorta
Imo, Colosseum was FAR better. Catching PKMN was more fun than rental cards, and the fact that their were more options of PKMN was awesome. It's boring- battle after battle, each one taking a long time, so much damage based on Types. I could be a powerful PKMN and lose to a Riolu, which was popular because the game was so Gen4 based. Plus, Colosseum had more things like puzzle solving and obtainings of PKMN. I feel like BR was a Gimmicky game, set on the shoulders of "Use your D/P Pokemon," and, "3D Battle models of PKMN". Pokemon Colosseum was so much more fun, and, Stadium 1/2 were too! BR was, frankly, boring in comparison to either.

Basically, I think that hate is justified.

BCVM22

Imo, Colosseum was FAR better. Catching PKMN was more fun than rental cards, and the fact that their were more options of PKMN was awesome. It's boring- battle after battle, each one taking a long time, so much damage based on Types. I could be a powerful PKMN and lose to a Riolu, which was popular because the game was so Gen4 based. Plus, Colosseum had more things like puzzle solving and obtainings of PKMN.

And yet you're still trying to judge the game on the basis of material that it was never:

• Said to have
  • Going to have
  • Promised to have
  • Hinted to have

I feel like BR was a Gimmicky game, set on the shoulders of "Use your D/P Pokemon," and, "3D Battle models of PKMN". Pokemon Colosseum was so much more fun, and, Stadium 1/2 were too! BR was, frankly, boring in comparison to either.

Come on now. No. Stop. The most basic, core purpose of the game is not a gimmick. "Gimmicky" is one of those words people like to throw around that's completely lost meaning due to being over/misused.

By your definition, the watered-down catching and overworld mechanics of Colosseum and XD were "gimmicks".

Basically, I think that hate is justified.

Misguided and based on tissue-thin pretenses.

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Chapter of Charizard, BCVM did kind of nail you there- three-fourths of your criticisms are either things that Stadium did just as much as PBR, or based in nothing. Your well-trained imported Pokemon isn't going to lose to a Riolu because PBR gives Gen IV pokemon hax.

Honestly, I'm surprised people aren't bringing up the more arbitrary mechanical limitations; that you can't use a Pokemon from your DS game in more than one pass, that PBR save files are tied to individual save files of individual cards, that you can only get one of each reward for that save file, that some Collusseums enforce item clause while others don't, yet the game doesn't give you the power to switch items from within itself, etc. You really don't need to even bring up rental Pokemon to attack PBR, it's mechanically limited for no reason at all in ways even being a potentially rushed game could not explain.

Not that it doesn't do it's job absolutely beautifully once you get around all the silly hiccups. I've played it a bunch, even got a near full pile of friend passes, which eases the pain of the lack of rentals (Which I really can't blame GS for cutting, they'd need nearly 500 of them) considerably.

IAintObeezy

Ban this Trainer
Alright then, you know why this game receive so much hate? Because it's not an XD sequel. Simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.